U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 02:16 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,360,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Well, I suppose if you're on some kind of corporate expense account than sure, go for the best, but it's ridiculous to then complain of prices! Besides, what kind of experience is staying at a hotel with other rich foreigners like you said? When I backpacked through Europe I stayed in hostels ranging from 6/room to 24/room! Occasionally, I splurged and got my own room at a pension but meeting both locals and fellow travelers were absolutely the highlight of my trip.

Even if I wasn't a poor student I'd only stay at a nice hotel maybe once a week.

Some of the hostels had decent breakfasts with meat. And how I miss a leisurely breakfast of bread with Nutella, fruit, and a cappuccino!
Not to be snooty or anything, but when we went somewhere on vacation and there was an AFRC (Armed Forces Recreation Center) facility nearby, we purposely stayed at a pension away from it. Many Americans DO go to other countries and act like good ambassadors. But there's enough of the idots to make us leery of being lumped in with people like that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 07:26 AM

16 posts, read 35,274 times
why are you complaining. Of course europe is expensive and I would make it even more expensive. If you don't like it don't come. And if you want to visit Rome, Paris... you must pay for that. I live in Europe all my life and i don't have any problems with something being expensive- especially for tourists. I know that coffe in front of Louvre is 20 euros but understand drinking coffe in paris in front of louvre is nothing similar to drink coffe in one of yours (americans) drive in- mcdonalds, starbucks thing. So don't talk trash if you don't like it. Plus if you don't have monay don't travel- poor people never traveled- so if you can't pay 7 € for water stay home.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:25 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,345,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea26 View Post
why are you complaining. Of course europe is expensive and I would make it even more expensive. If you don't like it don't come. And if you want to visit Rome, Paris... you must pay for that. I live in Europe all my life and i don't have any problems with something being expensive- especially for tourists. I know that coffe in front of Louvre is 20 euros but understand drinking coffe in paris in front of louvre is nothing similar to drink coffe in one of yours (americans) drive in- mcdonalds, starbucks thing. So don't talk trash if you don't like it. Plus if you don't have monay don't travel- poor people never traveled- so if you can't pay 7 for water stay home.
Congratulations ... you win the prize for the most patronizing post of the day. Your coffee comment shows that you know very little about America and, I suspect, even less about Europe.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 AM

12,322 posts, read 18,433,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Congratulations ... you win the prize for the most patronizing post of the day. Your coffee comment shows that you know very little about America and, I suspect, even less about Europe.
Haha, just call her Miss Congeniality. Gotta be French.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:45 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,171,634 times
Quote:
why are you complaining. Of course europe is expensive and I would make it even more expensive. If you don't like it don't come. And if you want to visit Rome, Paris... you must pay for that. I live in Europe all my life and i don't have any problems with something being expensive- especially for tourists. I know that coffe in front of Louvre is 20 euros but understand drinking coffe in paris in front of louvre is nothing similar to drink coffe in one of yours (americans) drive in- mcdonalds, starbucks thing. So don't talk trash if you don't like it. Plus if you don't have monay don't travel- poor people never traveled- so if you can't pay 7 € for water stay home.
Worst post of the day! Poor people never travel??! Perhaps not staying at the nicest hotels or family vacations, but it is very easy for an individual to travel long term on the cheap and enough casual work to fund it if needed. So tell me, what besides having the honor of popping out of your mother's uterus in Western Europe, entitles you to see the world's sights but not those less economically fortunate? Also, don't lie I'm sure you'd never spend 7 euro for a water.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:10 PM

3,305 posts, read 2,330,711 times
Quote:
Congratulations! You win the DICK OF THE DAY award. You win a free cup of coffee at the Starbucks or Mcdonalds of your choice.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:16 PM

12,744 posts, read 14,101,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyear View Post
Euro's and Europe{aka amsterdam} will rip you off!!

Just ask this Canadian that had a son and daughter travel for 1 week. Watch your baggage!! Water is 7 euros??? what?? Beer is cheaper than water? I don' t get it. It"s amazing the cost to visit the UK. If you are going to go, check everything online.
Sorry your kids had such a bum time, and that you are so burned up about it.

I've traveled to Amsterdam fairly frequently, I cannot imagine where they spent 7 euros for water! I never have seen such a price.

"Watch your baggage!" Indeed, always and everwhere. My own bad experience is limited to Newark, NJ, but I wouldn't take that as typical of the entire U.S.... or should I?

The UK and Ireland are very expensive, and I would have thought that your kids would have checked things out for all their stops before they left. Doesn't sound like they did...not very typical of kids nowadays who live on and by the internet. I am veeeeeeery careful about booking vacations in Ireland, for example, (don't go to the U.K.) and check everything out -- accomodations, which restaurants are affordable, price of things I want to see, cost of taxis, etc.....and I am not converting from any North American currency.

Perhaps your kids (and you) just weren't prepared either for how low the value of the dollar and the loonie have sunk.

It always pays to do more than cursory research before traveling, and particularly if you are using a weak currency.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:38 PM

16 posts, read 35,274 times
ahhhh -why are you so sensitive.
Just to compare- let say you are buying a car and extra stuff in your car (tv, leather seats etc.,) cost lot of $- so is it ok to generally say- don't buy BMW or Mercedes because you will pay that car 100,000 euros and you can pay 3 times less for some other car. But car is car. So same thing with water and hotels.... water is same but buying and drinking water in Paris or Texas is not same. I don't want to offend anybody.
And about "poor"- i didn't mean homeless, but it is true that "how much you pay that much will you get".
I know that you can travel with little $ but than whats the point of complainig about the cost of water
So sorry if i offended someone that wasn't my goal- but to generalize something like here in Title of this post is stupid.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,242,027 times
Your kids are lying to you, even from the minibar at a posh hotel water is not going to cost 7 euros in Amsterdam. From a supermarket or shop, it costs 1-2 euros depending on size and other than the exchange rate is no more or less than in the US.

Amsterdam is a city and is going to have some crime, especially pickpockets and baggage thieves that prey on naive tourists. However, the crime rate in most European cities does not even come close to what we have in the US. The truth is that if your kids had their bags stolen in Amsterdam, they probably would have had them stolen in just about every city in the US as well. Your statement to watch your bags implies that they may have been left unattended, which is stupid no matter where you are.

The OP seems to be the type of person that doesn't realize that traveling to Amsterdam, Paris, Los Angeles or even Boise is not like walking around Disneyland. They are real places with real people going about their daily lives. I have seen many tourists that walk around like they are in some Las Vegas style reproduction of a real city and lose all sense of reality and common sense.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:17 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,352,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Your kids are lying to you, even from the minibar at a posh hotel water is not going to cost 7 euros in Amsterdam. From a supermarket or shop, it costs 1-2 euros depending on size and other than the exchange rate is no more or less than in the US.
One quick reference...

I was with my Sister-In-Law in Vienna this past August...

We were seated at an open-air cafe and she asked the waiter for water... he said with bubbles or no bubbles...

The Waiter brought a large... 1 or 1.5 litre bottle of non-carbonated water to the table... it cost the equivalent of 8 dollars... she was shocked when the bill came... but that is part of the leaning curve....

Sometimes, in Austria... a beer is priced about the same as a large coke or mineral water... maybe the reason so many Austrians drink beer

Freinds were in Sweden about the same time... they really enjoyed the seafood... their 7 year old son only wanted a Hamburger and his parents promised him one the next day... they ended up going to a restaruant in a 5 star hotel because other restauants said the Hotel has an "American" menu....

Hamburger and Coke... $20

Sunday Brunch.... American Style with bacon and eggs buffet style... $40 per person...

The room was filled with tourists... not a local to be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel