Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:14 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,894,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Do they? I have been to France many many times and never experienced any "hate". On the contrary, I have always found the French to be rather pleasant.

There is an awful lot of stereotyping in this thread.
Yes.
Quote:
Most American tourists who go to Rome do so as a cruise ship excursion
Quote:
As for the French, well they seem to hate everyone. And everyone returns the favor. English hate them, Dutch hate them, German's hate them.
But I have to say, this thread has been rather entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 07:59 AM

14,250 posts, read 17,850,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Ed, when we were in Sweden/Norway and Finland, there where sections (towns, provinces) that used the Euros! Was a bit of a pain as we had to carry both currencies. Stores and establishments had signs next to their entrances stating which they accepted! Then there were the signs denouncing Euros!!

If I visited these countries (or Switzerland), I'd make a point to use the local currency, Crowns, Pounds or whatever.
These contries refused the Euro for good reasons (many Germans are also against the Euro, they make the joke Euro= Teuro which means everything is getting more expensive because the Euro).
A lot of Europeans don't agree with the official government propaganda that Euro is a success, right now an Euro country (Greece) is experiencing a grave financial depression that could overlap to other European countries.
The only good thing about the Euro (in my opinion of "seasoned traveller") is that it enables me to travel more outside of Europe because it is a strong currency.
In non-Euro countries, many stores will accept Euros because that is what most visitors carry. However, I would be very surprised if they would refuse the local currency as that is legal tender. In fact, it is probably illegal for them to refuse it. That is certainly the case in the UK.

I have travelled extensively in Europe and my sister lives in Barcelona which is in the Euro area. The Euro is well accepted by the vast majority of people and, in many cases, is seen as a distinctly better and more stable currency than the ones which preceded it.

The Swiss do not use the Euro despite Switzerland being more expensive than the neighboring Euro countries. However, the Swiss Franc is, and has been, effectively pegged to the Euro since it was created just as it was pegged to the Deutsch Mark prior to that.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:47 AM

14,986 posts, read 23,765,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea26 View Post
i didn't say in any of my posts that usa sucks or anything else. I only said that I don't like ppl complainig about prices when travel...
In every post you have written here you have attempted to clarify or justify or apologize with one sentence, and laid a direct backhand insult to the readers in specific and the US in general with the next sentence. I am not even sure you were aware of it. It's been quite entertaining, and I can't say you weren't baited by a few, and fell perfectly into their trap. Needless to say you lost alot of credibility by referencing to Michael Moore as your source.

The best you can probably do now is leave the forum, change your user name, and come back in a few months and pretend this never happened....or continue here as the forum punching bag, for entertainment value.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,740,824 times
Quote:
PA2UK don't you read what Mak wrote. He wrote like in every post how usa is better- and i didn't in any of posts.
Only out of defence. And I'm not MAK - don't lump us together. You're deflecting by pointing fingers at other people - first the OP and now MAK. At the end of the day, what country a person enjoys spending time in better is a matter a personal opinion, not fact. And claiming that a country should be outrageously expensive because you think it's worth that much is just silly.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:43 AM

Its a free market out there. Various tourist spots will charge what they think the market will bear and inexperienced travelers will pay inflated prices. That is as true of Times Square in NYC as it is of equivalent European tourist spots. But, if people think they are being ripped off, which they often are, then they are also entitled to complain about it and if that hits the tourist income of some of these places well that is just a price to pay.

This isn't a USA versus Europe argument either. Both have their attractions and both are equally popular with tourists. Rome attracts a different type of tourist than does the Grand Canyon. San Diego is not comparable to Paris and New York City is not comparable to Nice. So the "my dick is bigger and more expensive than your dick" argument is a bit silly.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:12 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,241,866 times
Quote:
PA2UK don't you read what Mak wrote. He wrote like in every post how usa is better- and i didn't in any of posts.
Of course you didn't, you just wrote that Europe is better. No one is saying that you wrote that the US is better. And I'm a she, not a he. And as far as comparing the two from a non-tourist perspective go, I have more authority than you, given that I have lived extensively in both, and did not just briefly visit the tourist traps in each. You've only visited the US briefly, whereas I was born and lived in Europe for many years and continue to go back to visit family. I have the local persepective for both places, and personally would never want to live in Europe again.

Quote:
why are you complaining. Of course europe is expensive and I would make it even more expensive. If you don't like it don't come. And if you want to visit Rome, Paris... you must pay for that. I live in Europe all my life and i don't have any problems with something being expensive- especially for tourists. I know that coffe in front of Louvre is 20 euros but understand drinking coffe in paris in front of louvre is nothing similar to drink coffe in one of yours (americans) drive in- mcdonalds, starbucks thing. So don't talk trash if you don't like it. Plus if you don't have monay don't travel- poor people never traveled- so if you can't pay 7 € for water stay home.
Quote:
water is same but buying and drinking water in Paris or Texas is not same.
Quote:
And it is also a fact that Rome is more beautiful than El Paso.
Quote:
And for your san diego- rome comparation- please let me know when sd will visit as many tourists per year as rome. And that is also a fact that makes one city better than the other- if san diego was worth visiting than lots of ppl would visit it. and i don't know how many europeans vish to visit san diego but i know that there are loads of american tourists in rome.
Quote:
p.s- rent some michael moore movies about your great country.
Quote:
i didn't say in any of my posts that usa sucks or anything else.
You're right, none of these posts make it seem like you think Europe is better than the US!

Old 12-22-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
And it is also a fact that Rome is more beautiful than El Paso.
Yep ... and Sedona is more beautiful than Watford

Old 12-23-2009, 12:59 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,894,717 times
Quote:
oh mak come on. It seems that you are trying to convince yourself that usa is great.
Well it is great that you like usa that much and that you think it is a great place to live- i think that same about europe.
p.s- rent some michael moore movies about your great country.
I was actually going to defend you a little bit but you should have just stopped while you were ahead

I'm glad you're now such an authority on American issues now that you've seen a couple works of *cough* propaganda...films by Michael Moore. Tell me, do you get your insights about Kazakhstan (and America) from the movie Borat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel