U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:19 AM

3 posts, read 15,631 times

Advertisements

From these choices, I'd recommend Lufthansa. Finnair and SAS are nice, too, but their routes tend to be slower if your final destination is in Western or Central Europe.
Air France flies through Paris, where there is a good chance that they'll lose your luggage. And AlItalia, well... No thanks.
KLM would also be a good choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 01:32 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,239,014 times
I would say FINNAIR I never heard anything bad about them. Connecting will be easier in Finland instead of a huge mega hub like Frantfurt or Paris. Finnair has nice service.
My favorite is SWISS though.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:15 AM

13,382 posts, read 41,019,163 times
We flew Alitalia and it was delayed, but we made our connection.
I remember decent food and everyone applauding and cheering when we landed.
That was a good 10 years ago.

My kid flew AirFrance on a class trip, and they missed their connection and lost their luggage for 3 days. But he got a handy-dandy toilet kit filled with goodies.

In all my travels I have never flown Lufthansa. I've heard good and bad; I am sure I would fly with them if the price was right.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:38 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,090,036 times
I would never use Lufthansa ever again. Ever. The service was appalling, the food even by airline standards dismal beyond belief, and the worse for me the legroom was so bad I actually got bruises on my knees from having to spend 7 hours in the most cramped conditions ever. I was almost in tears when I staggered off the plane because of the pain. Granted I have long legs but still. Having flown with most other major Airlines I have never experienced anything quite so bad. It made Aeroflot seem like a luxury cruise.... They were badly organised on everything, rude, and because we flew from the UK we had almost 7 hours in Frankfurt Airport on both legs of the journey.

It was my most hellish flight EVER. Bearing in mind I have travelled on Bush Planes ....

For cheaper prices to Europe from the US "Aer Lingus" would be my favourite actually. If you wanted to spend a little more or get tickets in their January sales "Virgin Atlantic" is my favourite by far.

Lufthansa could be half the price and I would never use it again. Allitalia is not great either but better.... Air France and FinnAir are both fine. Not great but perfectly fine.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:31 AM

3,295 posts, read 10,619,050 times
Of those you listed, I've flown AlItalia, Air France, and Lufthansa. I was always very happy with Air France. For one trip we had a group of about 30 people flying from DC to Madrid and not one person lost their luggage (compared to people we met in the program who took British Air and had their bags sent to China for 2 weeks). Food was fine, service was fine, and the plane itself was fine.

AlItalia was also a good experience, however I think we were technically all on Delta planes, which may have made a difference. We also got into the emergency row, which had a lot more room.

Lufthansa, not so much. When flying over from DC to Vienna a few weeks ago, we booked through Lufthansa and were put on a United flight. That flight was fine, had decent food, comfortable (at least as much as you can be), decent service, etc. The flight back was a Lufthansa plane, and it just sucked. It was an older plane, tighter than the United one, overheated, and the service wasn't good at all. It was the first time I was on an international flight and actually had to seek out a flight attendant for 15-20 minutes right before landing because they didn't give us the paperwork for immigration. The food was fine, but if you wanted something to drink you had to chase after the flight attendant, as she speed-walked down the aisle with a water bottle. She also seemed extremely annoyed if you did need something as troublesome as a cup of water (while she was distributing beverages...it's not like I called her at a random point in the flight asking for a cocktail or extra food or something). There was one flight attendant who was much better, but the rest weren't that good.

Of those 3, Air France was my favorite. British Air is also pretty good, though check your connections. We had to transfer from London Heathrow to London Gatwick at 2am, which is fine, but a hassle I'd avoid in the future if I can.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:36 AM

275 posts, read 659,829 times
Thanks everyone. I thought they may have difference, something like carrier X allows 2 bags free, but carrier Y- better/more food, although carrier Z beat both of them with it's (something)

Thanks again.

To Mooseketeer on "Bush Planes": Hey, you can not compare Air Force One with regular planes.
Just kidding As I understand you are reffering to military planes, correct?

Old 12-04-2009, 08:14 AM

13,382 posts, read 41,019,163 times
If we are going to discuss international airlines that the OP has not listed, the one that have been most successful for me would be, believe it not, Continental.

British Airways had cushier service, but we've had plenty go wrong with them, including canceled flights.
The thing is, I have flown BA quite a bit, because for the longest time, they had the *only* direct, nonstop international route out of Denver. So that has allowed for many flights, and increased the odds for problems.

Not bad:
American
Delta
Northwest
KLM
United
US Airways

Just basic, but we got there:
Condor

I think by bush planes Moose means the smaller propeller planes (like a Cessna) that can go where the big jets could never land. I have taken a few six seaters to places like Nantucket, and it is actually pretty cool--you definitely get a "oneness" with the plane, and we saw pods of whales.
I once went up in a 3 seater and I was exhilarated and terrified all at the same time--especially when we reached the Rockies.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:21 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,090,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier12 View Post
Thanks everyone. I thought they may have difference, something like carrier X allows 2 bags free, but carrier Y- better/more food, although carrier Z beat both of them with it's (something)

Thanks again.

To Mooseketeer on "Bush Planes": Hey, you can not compare Air Force One with regular planes.
Just kidding As I understand you are reffering to military planes, correct?
"Jungle" planes and some Military . Both were fine actually. I like small planes so a seater is fine by me though of course long haul is not really an option !

Old 12-04-2009, 08:33 AM

275 posts, read 659,829 times
Thank you for your explanation, folks. I did not realise "bush" means bush

I have mentioned carriers based on their lowest prices shown by search engines, that's why some carriers are not listed.

(Coughing.) "When we were younger planes were a lot bigger..."

Old 12-04-2009, 08:58 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,852,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier12 View Post
Thanks.

If you do not mind, what's wrong with AlItalia, examples, please.
Are the rest of them about the same on luggage, food, service?

IcelandAir, Air Canada and BA probably a little bit more expensive, at least they are not on top of the list. I am economy class passenger, if it matters
Actually I don't find Icelandair or Air Canada to be expensive. Air Canada is certainly cheaper than BA and they seem pretty efficient. BA will be more as they have direct flights to England and you always pay a premium for that, even in economy, which I also have to fly all the time.

One day First Class! One day .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel