U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 09:08 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,941,187 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the tips! I'm thinking about delaying my trip until March for (slightly) better weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 06:13 AM

32,073 posts, read 32,974,848 times
A visit to NYC in December can include the Rockefeller X'mas Tree & the Radio City Rockettes X'mas show and all the major dept. stores X'mas display showcases, which you will not find in March.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 PM

98 posts, read 425,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A visit to NYC in December can include the Rockefeller X'mas Tree & the Radio City Rockettes X'mas show and all the major dept. stores X'mas display showcases, which you will not find in March.
Exactly. There's no place like New York in December, and if you've never been, it's one of the "before you die" must dos.

-Paul

Old 12-12-2009, 10:27 AM

5,511 posts, read 5,714,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
So we (couple in their late 20's) want to go to NYC and spend maybe 3 days exploring the city. I know it's nowhere near enough time, but does anyone have suggestions for what to do on a short tour?

We'll probably go over the weekend before Xmas, so we'll be there Sat, Sun, and maybe Mon or Fri. We'll be taking a commuter train in from a friend's place about 45 minutes north of the city unless anyone can suggest good cheap lodgings.

We think we want to go see the Statue of Liberty, but we can skip Ground Zero, Times Square, and The Empire State Building (been there already). Already visited Hoboken too.

We'd like to possibly visit a Long Island beach town that's within commuter range of the city. We probably have time for one museum, gallery, or other similiar civic point.

Any suggestions for good nightclubs/areas where we can party or chillout until the early trains start running?

It would be fun to catch a Broadway (or off-Broadway) show. Maybe not experimental theater, though. Suggestions?

What else should we do? Any deals on subway/metro passes for a short-duration visitors?
I can't give you advice about Long Island, being that I usually stay within the boroughs unless I'm leaving the state altogether.

For night clubs, as a tourist, I'd suggest the Meat packing district--those are pretty much the type of night clubs that you'll see on TV.

As far as metro passes go, you may have to spring for a weekly, which will run you about $27 a piece.

As far as museums are concerned, unless you been to the MET, MOMA or the NHM...you really can't go wrong with any of those.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:59 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,238,552 times
1. Go see the tree at Rockefeller center and take a walk to 5th avenue to see the displays.

2. Go to the top of Top of the Rock or Empire state building. ESB is a longer wait but it's higher up.

3. Explore a neighborhood downtown--like the west village, east village, Soho...

I grew up going to see the tree and 5th avenue every year since I was a baby, and it never gets old

Old 12-19-2009, 12:08 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,413,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateclosingon40 View Post
Exactly. There's no place like New York in December, and if you've never been, it's one of the "before you die" must dos.

-Paul
Really, there isn't. NYC in December is a nightmare. I am so glad to not be living near there anymore! I remember taking some of my family that came to visit to see the tree. Took over 1 hour to go 2 city blocks. It was outrageous! Then, 5th Ave. is packed, and I mean packed with tourists that seem to stop randomly to take pictures of blinking lights. You cannot get through. Think being in a crowded subway, but instead this is the sidewalk! I vowed to never step foot in the city during Christmas time again (and I've lived there for many years) and had friends that lived in NYC leave during that time just so they don't have to deal with the Christmas and NYE traffic.

That said, March is a great time to go. Union Square is by far my favorite neighborhood in NYC and there is tons to do and see there. Lots of great, local restaurants without the tourist crowds. Central Park is a must do as well. I'd avoid Midtown and Times Square, since it's really not that exciting. Brooklyn is also worth checking out, if you have the time.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:31 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,335,685 times
Try the Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art). It's excellent!

Also the Museum of Natural History (right across Central Park from the Met), though that isn't as good, but still excellent.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:09 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,929,741 times
There are several "parks" in and around Manhattan that are part of The National Park Service - Manhattan Sites - and don't miss a chance to wander around Governor's Island which is now open to the public - ferry right next to the Staten Island ferry terminal. (nps.gov, then NY, then Manhattan Sites from the drop-down menu).

Old 12-19-2009, 03:00 PM

32,073 posts, read 32,974,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
There are several "parks" in and around Manhattan that are part of The National Park Service - Manhattan Sites - and don't miss a chance to wander around Governor's Island which is now open to the public - ferry right next to the Staten Island ferry terminal. (nps.gov, then NY, then Manhattan Sites from the drop-down menu).
Governor's Island isn't open to the public in the winter. It will only reopen to the public in June 2010: Governors Island Preservation and Education Corporation .

Old 12-20-2009, 09:54 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,905,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Thanks for all the tips! I'm thinking about delaying my trip until March for (slightly) better weather.

Do you know what the weather will be like in March?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel