U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:52 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,665,390 times

Advertisements

All Super 8, Best Western (Kelly Inn's in midwest also part of chain) and Hilton's accept large dogs. Coast to Coast in Canada. Hilton and Coast to Coast more up scale. They have reward programs. If I stay in chain hotels they are from the midwest to Alaska and don't have to worry about finding a place that will accept my large dog. The charges range from free in certain timesto $10-25 for dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 10:07 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,444,174 times
We travel with our dog all the time as well, and I have to warn you to not use Priceline. You are almost guaranteed to "win" a hotel that won't accept your dog and you'll be either stuck with a room you can't use and will have to forfeit the money, or have to find alternative accommodations for your dog while you go on your trip. Not worth the hassle!

Some major hotels that accept dogs are Kimpton hotels (they are amazing as far as pets go), some, not all, Hiltons, some Holiday Inn Express, and La Quinta, which seems to have a huge pet owner following.

An excellent site for all things dog travel related is www.dogfriendly.com. Here, you can find hotels, parks, restaurants, etc. that are dog friendly in whatever area you're traveling to. I know how frustrating it can be. Unless you have a "dog" that fits in a purse, there is a good chance it won't be welcomed in a hotel room!

Old 12-07-2009, 01:17 PM

30,348 posts, read 27,863,859 times
You may want to checkout the ChoicePrivieges hotels. They include about eight different name brand hotel/motels and after staying you receive points towards a free nights lodging at one of them. My wife and I use them all of the time when on the highway and most of the time we’re happy with the service, rooms, and prices. I can’t tell you how many points you get for each of your nights stay however they seem to add up quickly for a freebie. I think you can check it online with googling choicepriveges or give them a phone call.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:43 PM

60 posts, read 123,078 times
Dont forget to put your TV remote in the plastic you can find in the ice bucket!

Old 12-08-2009, 05:49 AM

1,353 posts, read 3,210,612 times
I've been using Hotels.Com for recent trips and been very happy, but I always go to the hotel site and compare the price to the AAA (american auto club) price. Sometimes the AAA price is lower...

Old 12-09-2009, 11:39 AM

9,429 posts, read 17,450,373 times
The no-pet-policy of most hotels is a real problem. We traveled with our 5-lb. Yorkie for years, and it was a pain in the arse. She was small enough that I smuggled her into a few places. Sometimes I'd show her to the check-in folks, they'd fall in love with her, and then tell me to smuggle her in but not to let others see her. *LOL*

Take a crate. Some will let you bring a pet to your room as long as you have them in a crate. (Of course she'll stay in the crate once you get in the room. Of course.... *rolls eyes*) Plan ahead all you can. There are hotels that will allow pets, but many charge extra and some flat won't allow them.

If you have AAA it'll usually get you the same discount as AARP will.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:19 AM

1,041 posts, read 4,041,087 times
Some hotel reward programs will not award points for your stay (or even recognize it as a stay) if you book through an online site (expedia, travelocity, etc) or through a travel agent. It might be worth it to spend a few extra dollars during your trip to accumulate those points (just think, you could use them for a really awesome and well-deserved vacation somewhere amazing!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or