Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:00 PM

80 posts, read 226,065 times

Advertisements

I will be doing a lot of traveling on the wekends coming up in 2010. I was wondering what the best way to get the most out of my hotel stays. I need a card or something like frequent flyer miles for hotels. I'm not old enough for AARP just need something that will make all my hotel stays payoff. Is there such a rewards program for hotels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 03:04 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,032,713 times
A friend of mine who has a job which involves a lot of travel always stays at La Quinta hotels because of the rewards - not sure if that's the kind of place you are looking for...?

Old 12-04-2009, 03:11 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,849,776 times
Yes, all of the major chains have rewards programs. Additionally, you can get credit cards that contribute points towards your hotel rewards. Just check out the websites for Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Intercontinental, etc.

Let them know it's your first stay - sometimes they'll upgrade you or throw in some perks. Be really nice to the front desk people - they control your destiny!

Old 12-04-2009, 03:26 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,574,809 times
If you're willing to read the instructions, follow the method, and invest a little bit of time you can get good results with biddingfortravel.com, a site that teaches you how to use Priceline to get the best possible prices and the properties you want to stay at.

I've used them myself with some success.

BiddingForTravel.com - Message Board - Yuku

Old 12-04-2009, 03:56 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,982,776 times
Take the soap, shampoo, towels, cook all the coffee offered and then get more from the front desk (only if it's complimentary). Ask for razors and deodorant, again only if free. Buy a keg and charge random passerbys 4 bucks a cup.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:19 PM

17,120 posts, read 56,769,693 times
Choice (Sleep Inn, Comfort Inn, etc.) has a pretty good loyalty program, as do Hilton and Marriott. I like Choice because they are upscale enough to be clean and nice, but are still economical. I stay in Marriotts frequently when on business travel, it's nice to gather up the points and from time to time stay in a Marriott for free, but their regular price is a little much for me, if paying out of my own pocket. When I am traveling I typically use the hotel room mostly just to sleep, but business travel sometimes has us conducting business meetings in the hotel, so the Marriott makes some sense.

Most hotels give frequent flyer miles as well, of course not all hotels and all airlines partcipate.

You can sometimes convert hotel points to FF miles, or vice versa.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:24 PM

80 posts, read 226,065 times
Thanks everyone for all the great info. My other main concern is when I travel my dog will be with me. Its hard to find a nice hotel that accepts larger dogs that won't charge you an arm and a leg.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:10 PM

98 posts, read 477,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny the gimp View Post
Thanks everyone for all the great info. My other main concern is when I travel my dog will be with me. Its hard to find a nice hotel that accepts larger dogs that won't charge you an arm and a leg.
All La Quinta's accept pets, and every one I've ever stayed in ( and there have been MANY) has been clean and reasonably priced.

-Paul

Old 12-04-2009, 11:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,601 posts, read 57,556,690 times
1) figure out which hotels are in the areas you travel and WANT to travel
2) determine the program that best meets current and future needs / desires / has the best redemption program / has good 'bonus' program and versatile partnerships with strong brands.
3) Understand the rules (some decline points on discounted / negotiated / weekend rates). Some points expire annually.
4) have a plan to use the points ASAP (Consider a week in a great international destination in a hospitable country (Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia), as THEY can really treat you right. It's not like you are imposing on the staff.

I prefer Westin, but get more coverage w/ Marriott.

I thought you were looking to benefit from your stay, then you need to get an inventory of available equipment and services DIY Room Service : How to cook a gourmet meal in your hotel room - CHOW (http://www.chow.com/stories/10461 - broken link)

Old 12-05-2009, 12:03 AM

16,365 posts, read 30,083,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
If you're willing to read the instructions, follow the method, and invest a little bit of time you can get good results with biddingfortravel.com, a site that teaches you how to use Priceline to get the best possible prices and the properties you want to stay at.
I have been using Priceline since Memorial Day 2002 and have received from PHENOMENAL deals.

Forget all the loyalty points (unless you are traveling on "other people's money"). If you get that $129 Courtyard by Marriott room for $45 on Priceline or Hotwire, you are a lot further ahead.

Next weekend, I will stay at a Doubletree or a Marriott in western St, Louis Co. for $35-45. A great room at a nice hotel for a giveaway price.

With business travel down 35-45% depending on which publication you believe, there will be some really great deals in 2010 and 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel