U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2009, 07:05 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,681,171 times

Advertisements

I can maximize my vacation days by sandwiching them btw Xmas and NY but then so can everyone else. I have always driven to family for Xmas and am unfamiliar with how crazy travel is or vacation spots being crowded etc.

I am toying with the idea of going somewhere warm(er)(cold doesn't really bother me but I'd like some sun) that is cheap, easy and is a good place to birdwatch and maybe kayak. So I figure FL is probably top of the list but the Carolina's, Texas, whereever else is fine by me as long as it meets the main specifications.

1) If crowds and craziness bother me....should I just sort of bag the idea?
2) Do prices go up a lot? And are places booked way in advance?

Ideas? Suggestions? Should I call a travel agent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 07:30 AM

47 posts, read 188,291 times
DON'T go to Disney World! I made that mistake a couple years ago, and went with my family. Word's can not describe the utter chaos you will encounter. The crowds are massive! It was like a cattle call of people! You could not stop and decide where you wanted to go or else you would just get pushed aside into another group of people. If you have kids in a stroller, forget about it, there is no easy way to maneuver through the crowds, or people with stroller's will ride the stroller right up your heels and not apologize. The lines to get on the rides were horrendous! HOURS to wait to get on a 5 minute ride. The quick pass (or whatever they call it), was a joke. You got to get one in the morning and they provide you with a time that you can go back to the ride - how does 4:00 in the afternoon sound? I could go on, but I am sure you get the jist. Last year we went on Jan. 2nd for a week - it was like a night and day from our previous experience. No crowds, and my kids could go on a favorite ride multiple times. But, they had shut down some rides for maintenance, because that is there slow season after Christmas.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:33 AM

47 posts, read 188,291 times
I just re-read your post. If you are looking for someplace quiet, may I suggest Duck, North Carolina. It is on the Outer Banks of NC and just beautiful. You can get some real deals on renting a waterfront house this time of year as well. We have never gone in December, but have thought about it.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:01 AM

3,851 posts, read 9,454,331 times
You might consider South Padre Island in Texas. The hotel rates in Florida from December to March are insane. Expect to pay triple what the normal rate is, and expect it to be crowded with tourists.

South Padre Island Texas

The average temps are between 52 and 67 for that time of year. Doesn't guarantee a cold front won't come along, but it still should be pleasant overall.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:20 AM

3,752 posts, read 7,495,850 times
I dont know about the rates, but the Destin, Florida area near the Gulf is really nice. You can start by checking out www.sandestin.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or