U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Where do you sleep mostly when visiting friends or family during the Holidays?
The Sofa or floor 0 0%
A Guest Room in the friends/relatives house 6 30.00%
A Hotel/Motel 14 70.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:05 AM

195 posts, read 57,740 times

Advertisements

If you travel out of town to visit friends or family for the Holidays where do you stay?

I use to always sleep in the guest room or sofa at various friends and families homes during the Holiday's until I determined I was miserable not sleeping well on the lumpy mattress or under their sleep schedule. It seems like my relatives like to stay up all night and then after a few hours of sleep wake bright and early at dawn.

Eventually I found the "name your own price" option for Hotels with Priceline and started staying at a nice motel/hotel. This has seriously irritated my relatives but I sure sleep better.

How about you, what do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 12:22 PM

4,487 posts, read 10,124,627 times
Usually stay at a hotel, unless I go back to Iowa to visit then I'll stay at my parent's home. I don't care to ask family/friends to put me up because I don't like to be in the same position. It's hard to say no to a good friend or family if they ask to stay with you. The only time I may stay with someone is if they insist I stay there, if I ever go to Miami, a good college friend of mine always insists that I stay there. I always have taken him up on the offer because his house is about 14,000 square feet and nicer than most resorts I've ever been at.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:53 PM

10,928 posts, read 15,485,958 times
I need my own space..if I want to go to bed early I can, if I want to stay up later I can with out fear of infringing on anyone else, so we always opt for hotel/motel

Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 PM

28,218 posts, read 21,146,073 times
We stay at motels since we don't want to interrupt the normal routine of others. We can do our thing when we want to without inconveniencing others.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:13 PM

3,216 posts, read 7,641,468 times
It depends a lot on 1) who I'm visiting, 2) how long I'm staying, and 3) how big their house/condo/apartment is. If it's a close relative or friend, I'm only staying for a few days, and they've got the room, then I'll usually accept the offer to stay at their place (I've never asked someone if I could stay). Otherwise I'll try to find a hotel nearby. Sometimes when we visit relatives we'll stay with them for a night or two so we feel like we "visited", and then spend the rest of the time in our own place.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:28 PM

2,264 posts, read 2,101,494 times
Not just for holidays, but generally when traveling...

Parents - I would always stay at their house
Family - As long as their house is big enough for us, we stay with them
Friends - I always used to stay at their place, if offered, although i always tried to start a conversation about hotels, so they felt like they didn't need to offer their house. Now we have 3 little kids, so i would only stay at someone's place that had a separate room for us to sleep so I could separate the little ones and make sure they get good sleep. Oh, this would have to be a good friend.

I would actually prefer to stay at someone's house, as our kids go to bed around 8PM and I would rather hang out and talk later than that. We can puy the kids to bed and stay up and talk.

Last, I always offer our house when people are in town and love to have guests.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:10 PM

2,551 posts, read 1,565,906 times
If we were going to Texas (to Denton, Texas) we stayed at his best friends house, Glen and Barbara. They have a huge area with a catfish pond. The fish come right up to you when you have a piece of bread in you hand!

When we are in Beaumont, Texas we stay at my mother's house.

But if we are anywhere else, where we don't know anyone, then that's when we stay at a motel or hotel.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:34 PM

7,787 posts, read 6,354,352 times
I prefer to stay at a motel/hotel. I know people that won't travel unless they can stay with relatives or friends. I will stay at my sisters and they stay with me when they visit otherwise I'm at a motel.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:39 PM

163 posts, read 30,039 times
If we have our camper, I might camp out in the driveway, but if we don't have the camper, I stay in a Motel. I'll take meals with them if they offer, but we always help clean up and do the dishes. We have relatives from Calif. who used to come & stay for three weeks every fall and drive everyone nuts. They never raised a finger to do anything and when they were done they'd leave my grandmother a fifty dollar bill. Shoot fire, they'd held up production and eaten a couple hundred dollars worth of groceries, not to mention all the extra work with cooking and washing, etc..

When my grandmother died they expected to continue to do this with my folks but Daddy told them they weren't welcome.

My grandfather used to get so upset when they were there. He'd put on his hat and go outside to walk it off. Once I caught up to him and he said to me, "Remember this boy, fish and company stink after three days!"

Old 12-07-2009, 07:51 PM

2,403 posts, read 3,630,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowman View Post
If we have our camper, I might camp out in the driveway, but if we don't have the camper, I stay in a Motel. I'll take meals with them if they offer, but we always help clean up and do the dishes. We have relatives from Calif. who used to come & stay for three weeks every fall and drive everyone nuts. They never raised a finger to do anything and when they were done they'd leave my grandmother a fifty dollar bill. Shoot fire, they'd held up production and eaten a couple hundred dollars worth of groceries, not to mention all the extra work with cooking and washing, etc..

When my grandmother died they expected to continue to do this with my folks but Daddy told them they weren't welcome.

My grandfather used to get so upset when they were there. He'd put on his hat and go outside to walk it off. Once I caught up to him and he said to me, "Remember this boy, fish and company stink after three days!"
Same here ! If my 40 ft'er doesn't fit in your yard or there is not a campground close by then you won't be seeing me visiting you, sence we started full time R V' ing I kinda like sleeping in my own bed , ( don't fret the lumpy bed's and the bed bug's ! ha ha ha )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel