U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:40 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,521,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
your credit is not checked when you rent a car! you just need to produce a credit card, your credit history is irrelevant.
They can and do, especially if you leave a cash dep or use a debit card. It depends on the company.

They won't run a DL check until you get to the counter. Regardless on whether the reservation was made online, they can still turn you away at the counter, which is why this endeavor is risky business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 04:46 PM

Also, if you rent the car in someone else's name and cc, if you are not listed as an additional driver,(which I assume is the case here, because if you are listed they will run a check on your DL also) that person is putting themselves at huge risk, as they will be violating the contract and terms of the rental. If you get into an accident, this is going to be a huge mess

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/09/09/ny...k-drivers.html

Last edited by mongoslade223; 12-09-2009 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: add a link

Old 12-09-2009, 06:39 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,445,409 times
I would think it best to have the other person that is traveling with you signed on as the driver. This is probably something that can be set up when you pick up the rental, but if your license is suspended, I don't think it would be wise to attempt to drive it yourself. I think an explanation to the clerk at the rental counter should make it fairly easy to have the other person signed up as the exclusive driver. Just tell them that your license was suspended after making the reservation, and that you won't be driving the car. As long as the rental company can satisfy their liabilities, I don't think they would give you any trouble.

This is my opinion of the situation, based on what I believe is reasonable, but rental car companies sometimes have strange and unusual policies, so it may be best to verify this beforehand.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:43 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,880,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
your credit is not checked when you rent a car! you just need to produce a credit card, your credit history is irrelevant.

O/P isn't concerned about a credit check, he is concerned about a check on his license

Old 12-10-2009, 05:47 AM

3,662 posts, read 7,534,099 times
They check your ID for age, address and identity. They don't run a DMV report.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:11 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,956,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
I was never aware of any license check, just the credit check.

Good luck with getting the "situation" sorted out. My daughter recalls her father regaling her with his tale of getting his license suspended when he registered to vote. She was about 10 years old & was overwhelmed that HE cried when he told her it was revoked for lack of child support payments.

I told her that her step father would never cry for getting caught doing something wrong. haha. The look on her face was priceless.

I hope all works out well for you. I wouldn't wish anything bad on anyone.

Happy travels!
The only time I get child support is the month before the birthfather's birthday... he can't get his license renewed. Sadly, they don't require the balance to be paid...he just pays a thousand or so and that's it.

My daughter is now 14 and he last got his license this year...so if it's good for 5 years... I won't see another support payment until she's 19 years old....and I wonder if it will even be in the system then.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:34 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,560,598 times
Thanks for all the replies. So it seems there is a definately a difference of opinion. Some people are saying they run no license check and some are saying they definately do. It seems in this day in age, they would run a check, for everyone or at least randomly.

Anyways, for my situation we switched it into the other drivers name and she is going to do the exclusive driving.

G Man

Old 12-10-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. So it seems there is a definately a difference of opinion. Some people are saying they run no license check and some are saying they definately do. It seems in this day in age, they would run a check, for everyone or at least randomly.

Anyways, for my situation we switched it into the other drivers name and she is going to do the exclusive driving.

G Man
Good luck! Hope everything works out

I've been in a similar situation b4 (lic. susp., don't know about your other issues) and rent a car places can act extremely squirrley; thier policies can vary from place to place within the same company. You can have everything worked out b4 hand, then have your vacation ruined when you get up to the counter. If they decide they don't like how you look, they can put you through a lot of hassle.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:18 PM

13,106 posts, read 24,880,333 times
Quote:

G Man
Well enjoy your trip

Old 12-11-2009, 01:53 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,445,409 times
Quote:

G Man
That sounds like a good call to me. Glad you got it worked out. Have a great trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or