U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,520,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have never had a problem renting a car.

I have had friends who have been barred by certain agencies as tehy have had some serious moving violations (read that as DUIs and/or reckless driving convictions).

Also, violating rental car agreements can also get you banned from that agency.
It amazes me how people try to "get over" and tempt fate. Do people really think, with today's technology and easy access to DL info, that these companies are just going to hand over their expensive inventory to just anybody, without checking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 AM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
It amazes me how people try to "get over" and tempt fate. Do people really think, with today's technology and easy access to DL info, that these companies are just going to hand over their expensive inventory to just anybody, without checking?
In the OLD days, it was a lot more difficult for a rental car agency to determine if they were renting to a problem driver. That is NO LONGER the case.

Food for thought. In 2013, there are THREE major rental car companies - Hertz (Hertz, Thrifty, Dollar), Avis (Avis, Budget), and Enterprise (Enterprise, Alamo, National). If you start getting banned from an agency or two, it may be difficult to rent a car.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 47,452 times
Cool Enterprise does not check DMV records

I know this is an old post, but to update, Enterprise only asks to see your license, they do not run a DMV check, I just rented a car this summer with a suspended license with no problems, and a prepaid rent a card.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:01 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,830,046 times
No judgements, just be aware of the possible issues. Even assuming that the car is in your friend's name, if they find out that an unauthorized/undeclared driver was operating vehicle, that's big trouble for your friend. Getting a ticket or getting into an accident (even if someone else is at fault) while you're behind the wheel with a suspended license could mean BIG trouble for both of you.

I would not recommend you getting behind the wheel of that car at all.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:44 PM

300 posts, read 655,319 times
Default Accuracy

So I have a person with a similar name (different middle and spelling of first) and same DOB. He lives in Texas and has a DUI. I have seen his name pop up in background checks. My driving record is spotless and I live in WA. What is the likelihood that a rental car company will do a shoddy driving check and get him rather than my spotless one. Of course DL numbers will be different but if its a simple name and DOB I could be screwed

Old 02-24-2015, 03:48 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
So I have a person with a similar name (different middle and spelling of first) and same DOB. He lives in Texas and has a DUI. I have seen his name pop up in background checks. My driving record is spotless and I live in WA. What is the likelihood that a rental car company will do a shoddy driving check and get him rather than my spotless one. Of course DL numbers will be different but if its a simple name and DOB I could be screwed
They pull the DMV abstract. If you use a credit card, they don't even do that.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:25 PM

Thanks.

What is a DMV abstract? Just curious. I will be using a credit card and will only be an auth driver. The actual rental will be in my wifes name

Old 02-24-2015, 05:28 PM

It looks like a DMV abstract is something from the state. If that is the case, I would be fine anyway. Its just those stupid public record scouring sites that sometimes find my evil twin (s). Yes I have a convicted felon in one state and an idiot with a DUI in another. I have never even had a speeding ticket or been arrested. I have a name that is common. Think Bob Smith common (though its not Bob Smith)

Old 02-24-2015, 05:29 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Thanks.

What is a DMV abstract? Just curious. I will be using a credit card and will only be an auth driver. The actual rental will be in my wifes name
FYI--both the renter and authorized driver need to have a credit card in their name with a lot of the rental agencies.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:19 PM

9,248 posts, read 11,799,248 times
Quote:
Rental car companies do not do a background check as we know it. They don't even do a motor vehicles dept check as we know it. What they do is subscribe to an electronic service that maintains adverse notices on drivers licenses.

These adverse notices are items that a participating state has reported to the service. Common items are revocations, suspensions, special restrictions and DUIs if the state reports them. Its really up to the participating state to decide how much information is released to the service. It's not uncommon for some states to do batch reporting which can be once a day, once a week or even once a month. These service usually are license specific which means its the license number that is being matched, not your name or anything else.

When you go to the rental counter, they may enter your drivers license number and the system will scan for your state and license number and report back anything on file that is flagged. Some rental companies are using the newer license readers where they swipe or scan the license and it automatically retrieves any notices. At some places, if you watch them carefully, you will see they lay the license on the counter in a specific spot each time. This is so a picture of the face of the license can be recorded.

In today's age of technological advances, I would just assume they can and are checking even if they weren't checking last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or