U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 05:35 PM

19,502 posts, read 17,742,092 times

Advertisements

Do airline prices fluctuate alot? A week ago I checked on flights for this coming summer to Alaska and found that prices were over $800 a ticket round trip. Yesterday they dropped to $667. I should have bought but it was late and I was tired so decided to wait until the next day, today. Well today the price is up to $826. Can't believe that the price would jump so much in one day. Anyone know what my chances are that the price would drop again? These prices are direct from the airline, delta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 05:58 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Do airline prices fluctuate alot? A week ago I checked on flights for this coming summer to Alaska and found that prices were over $800 a ticket round trip. Yesterday they dropped to $667. I should have bought but it was late and I was tired so decided to wait until the next day, today. Well today the price is up to $826. Can't believe that the price would jump so much in one day. Anyone know what my chances are that the price would drop again? These prices are direct from the airline, delta.
Flight prices change all the time and quite often, very greatly, especially once you get closer than two weeks. When you see a good deal, you better jump on it immediately or you may lose out.

You have 5-6 months, thought, and I am sure that you will have another shot at a deal.

BTW, we could probably give you some help if you would clue us in on the cities you plan to fly between.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:13 PM

19,502 posts, read 17,742,092 times
I am flying from New Bern NC to Anchorage, 14 day trip. want to leave in the early moring from new bern and arrive in anchorage late afternoon to early evening. Return flight leave anchorage before midnight. Trip will be in June.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:09 PM

13,160 posts, read 20,772,581 times
You can track flight prices on sites such as Yapta.com. They claim to offer a refund if the price drops after purchase, but I think what they actually do is provide directions on how to get a refund from the airline.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:39 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I am flying from New Bern NC to Anchorage, 14 day trip. want to leave in the early moring from new bern and arrive in anchorage late afternoon to early evening. Return flight leave anchorage before midnight. Trip will be in June.
Airfarewatchdog.com will track fares for you.

Have you considered using Raleigh-Durham (RDU), Norfolk (ORF) or Charlotte (CLT) as alternatives? The more you limit yourself to a single small airport, you really limit your opportunities to save money. Even though I live in Chicago, I have used SIX different airports to take advantage of a deal.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:45 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,210,369 times
Just pack yourself into a large duffle bag and check yourself, free flight!

Old 12-09-2009, 03:27 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,906,509 times
Delta is having some vacation sales right now. Maybe you can find something, but I know you have your own cruise plans. And I am skeptical of how good those vacation deals are anyway.

When it comes to purchasing airfare, there *used* to be a sort of pattern you could follow. You researched and bought ahead of time, when it was cheaper.
It's not quite the same anymore.

We need to fly our kid here from France for a wedding in early May.
I am tracking flights on Yapta, Airfarewatchdog, you name it.
Last week there was a 3-day sale on Lufthansa. But it wasn't *that* cheap.
There is another European sale on Swissair right now.
I probably should jump on it, but it involves two stops each way and there are other complications, and compared to the past deals we've had, it just doesn't seem all that great for shoulder season--$819 round trip after taxes.
(We paid in the $600's to go to France the same time last spring.)

I keep thinking there will be some good, genuine sales after the holidays, or maybe in February. But it's kind of a gamble. I worry about waiting too long.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:11 AM

115 posts, read 402,726 times
Definitely look into flying out of a larger airport. Flights to Anchorage in June will fill up quickly due to cruise season. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:21 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,560,030 times
Is there any rhyme or reason on why flight prices would change in the manner the original poster is describing. I understand once you get within 2 weeks, 1 week, then there are changes. But 6 months out, it seems prices would be pretty constant, and only go up (if supply of seats was dwindling) but not rock back in forth in a matter of days...... what factors cause this and is it possible to predict at all?

G Man

Old 12-09-2009, 08:24 AM

13,103 posts, read 24,874,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Is there any rhyme or reason on why flight prices would change in the manner the original poster is describing. I understand once you get within 2 weeks, 1 week, then there are changes. But 6 months out, it seems prices would be pretty constant, and only go up (if supply of seats was dwindling) but not rock back in forth in a matter of days...... what factors cause this and is it possible to predict at all?

G Man
Not sure of the rhyme or reason to the fare changing.
I do know I booked my air to San Diego in July and paid $783.00 for two tickets...checked yesterday to see how full the flight is and almost fell on my arse as my exact flight is now $1038.00 for 1 ticket and it's full...told hubbie no fooling around we need to be there early as they more then likely bump the cheap tix first if you are not at the counter, even though I check in on line the day before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or