U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2009, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Colorado
4,308 posts, read 11,834,323 times
Reputation: 4425

Advertisements

Above all, wash your hands! With the hottest water you can stand and plenty of soap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2009, 02:03 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,380,124 times
Reputation: 13686
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Above all, wash your hands! With the hottest water you can stand and plenty of soap.
And then wear rubber surgical-style gloves to avoid recontamination
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Colorado
4,308 posts, read 11,834,323 times
Reputation: 4425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
And then wear rubber surgical-style gloves to avoid recontamination
Personally I prefer a fully body suit

To be honest, I haven't seen anyone at the airport in the past 4-6 weeks that appeared seriously ill. I think catching colds while flying is just an occupational hazard these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 06:35 PM
 
1,353 posts, read 3,212,358 times
Reputation: 1481
thanks guys, I know I'm paranoid, I've had to be so careful not to spread anything to my mom before she passed that I'm a germaphobe. I think I'll grab some Emergen C to put in my water. I know I have to buy the water after I pass security, that's no problem. As I said, I'm generally healthy, just trying to be cautious. I am trying not to be so paranoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 03:31 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
8,948 posts, read 13,731,169 times
Reputation: 11648
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
thanks guys, I know I'm paranoid, I've had to be so careful not to spread anything to my mom before she passed that I'm a germaphobe.
That's understandable - my mom is an OR nurse so of course they have to scrub in, wear gloves and masks and be mindful of germs. As a result, she is now a germaphobe... in public restrooms, after she washes her hands, she hates to touch the door handle when leaving! She'll either pull her sleeve down and use it to cover her hand or use a paper towel. It's funny to watch her when she has short sleeves and there are no paper towels, lol. She then tries to open it by touching a part of the handle she thinks most people don't touch (most people grab right in the middle so she tries to avoid that part). I've even seen her try to open it with her elbows! There comes a point when trying to avoid a simple cold is not worth making yourself look ridiculous in public - and I think that point was reached with the elbow move, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 10:28 AM
 
1,353 posts, read 3,212,358 times
Reputation: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That's understandable - my mom is an OR nurse so of course they have to scrub in, wear gloves and masks and be mindful of germs. As a result, she is now a germaphobe... in public restrooms, after she washes her hands, she hates to touch the door handle when leaving! She'll either pull her sleeve down and use it to cover her hand or use a paper towel. It's funny to watch her when she has short sleeves and there are no paper towels, lol. She then tries to open it by touching a part of the handle she thinks most people don't touch (most people grab right in the middle so she tries to avoid that part). I've even seen her try to open it with her elbows! There comes a point when trying to avoid a simple cold is not worth making yourself look ridiculous in public - and I think that point was reached with the elbow move, lol.

been there done that! I always travel by car in an oversized denim shirt,
(A) to wipe my hands off if there aren't paper towels and
(B) to use the tail to open the door. Then hit the hand sanitizer in the car. I have been known to carry my own paper towels into rest area restrooms...I hate those hand dryers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 02:57 PM
 
12,027 posts, read 21,645,278 times
Reputation: 11871
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
been there done that! I always travel by car in an oversized denim shirt,
(A) to wipe my hands off if there aren't paper towels and
(B) to use the tail to open the door. Then hit the hand sanitizer in the car. I have been known to carry my own paper towels into rest area restrooms...I hate those hand dryers.
I do it too only because most people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Bangor Maine
3,442 posts, read 5,628,185 times
Reputation: 3981
To solve the problem of no paper towels in the public restroom I try to remember to put a couple in my purse before leaving home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top