U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:55 PM

1,353 posts, read 3,205,139 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have a laundry list of stupid travel questions. It's been awhile since I've flown. Am I being silly to carry something like "airborne" along with me to use during a cross country flight? I'll have tissues and hand sanitizer, will pick up at least 2 bottles of water.

I've been taking Airborne every morning and if I'm around a crowd, at a sporting event or mall. I'm becoming a germaphobe!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 06:45 PM

5,188 posts, read 13,370,726 times
There's no proof that "Airborne" prevents illness.....bodies HAVE to come in contact with some dirt/germs in order for your immune system to work properly...otherwise, you end up with auto-immune diseases, like arthritis, fibromyalgia, and other self-destructive things....where your body attacks itself...
Wash your hands, don't rub your eyes, nose or mouth, and then stop worrying about getting sick. EVERYONE gets sick sometimes.....it sucks, but it makes you stronger, in the long-run! You'll be ok, assuming that you're relative healthy to start with!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:48 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,251,757 times
Oh, I'm a bit of a germophobe. I always carry pocket-sized handiwipes. Like these: handiwipes in my bag for washing my hands or wiping down questionable surfaces where ever I am.

But when I travel I take it to the next level. I carry individually wrapped hospital grade germicidal wipes. They kill tuberculosis, Hepatitis B & C, HIV (?), Herpes, MRSA, Avian flu, e.coli, salmonella, staph infection, pneumonia, rhinovirus, rotovirus, and candida on contact. germicidal wipes They only cost about $10 (AFAIK, mail order only) and I feel so much healthier carrying them.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:17 AM

1,353 posts, read 3,205,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
There's no proof that "Airborne" prevents illness.....bodies HAVE to come in contact with some dirt/germs in order for your immune system to work properly...otherwise, you end up with auto-immune diseases, like arthritis, fibromyalgia, and other self-destructive things....where your body attacks itself...
Wash your hands, don't rub your eyes, nose or mouth, and then stop worrying about getting sick. EVERYONE gets sick sometimes.....it sucks, but it makes you stronger, in the long-run! You'll be ok, assuming that you're relative healthy to start with!

I've had to be so careful about germs while taking care of my elderly mother and I think since she's passed it's transformed into paranoia of any germs. I know the Airborne has some vitamins in it so that's my justification of taking it in the morning, but the threat of H1N1 and being on a plane for 4-5 hours is nagging at me.

I am generally healthy, so I'll try to work through these feelings.

thanks for reminding me to use my common sense!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:23 AM

3,851 posts, read 9,448,416 times
I take Airborne before I fly -I think the vitamins and herbs to help boost your immune system so if you are exposed to any viruses, your body is better prepared to fend them off. I used to almost always come down with a cold or some kind of respiratory problem after flying. For whatever reason, taking the Airborne has helped.

Take note - you can't carry those water bottles with you through security, but you can buy them at an airport store after you pass through.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:30 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,343,613 times
I am a frequent flyer for work and never take any of these precautions. I am rarely sick and the occasional cold I get cannot necessarily be attributed to flying.

I'm not sure that all these sanitizers, etc. are in our best interest. We need a few germs to help build up immunity

Old 12-10-2009, 11:36 AM

11,936 posts, read 21,556,888 times
You're better off taking a few vitamin C tablets every few hours than taking one dose of Airborne.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:55 PM

19,828 posts, read 56,060,783 times
I am a firm believer in Airborn. The one published study that showed it didn't work had methodological flaws. I don't take it every day, only when I start to come down w/a cold. I did take some on a recent trip, the kind you can add to a water bottle and I drank it while waiting at the gate to board. I also took some that morning at home.

As noted above, youi will have to buy water bottles after you pass Security; no bottled liquids except baby milk and prescription medicines are allowed through Security unless they fit in a one-quart baggie.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:08 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,424,386 times
My husband travels all the time for work. He never took anything, and came home sick every single time. He's been flying from CA to NY every single Sunday, coming back Friday, then back again on Sunday. He started taking Airborne and Emergen-C, and hasn't been sick at all on these last few trips, and he's now flying in peak illness season.

On a side note, those that use airborne, have you been able to find the chewables anywhere?? I know they discontinued it, but I'm sure they have leftover stock somewhere. It's not always easy to find water, so the chewables made more sense!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:06 AM

8,927 posts, read 13,680,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
but the threat of H1N1 and being on a plane for 4-5 hours is nagging at me.
Statistically, Swine flu is no more dangerous than regular flu, especially if you're a healthy adult with no underlying medical illness. In fact, it's arguably LESS dangerous - so far, there are still more people world wide who die of regular flu annually than who have died from swine flu in the past year. All this swine flu paranoia is simply not backed up by the statistics... at least not yet.

Of course, everyone should practise basic hygiene (washing your hands, etc) but beyond that, there's nothing you can do so there's no sense obsessing over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or