Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 01:40 PM

396 posts, read 421,021 times

Advertisements

I have two cats and I need to fly from VA to CA. My husband will already be in CA in a hotel so I'd like to see if I could buy two seats and fly with 2 cats. One would be in each carrier and under each seat in front of me.

Any airlines that would allow me to do this? I'd much rather buy two seats and travel alone than have to find someone to travel with me just to fill a seat.

Someone told me Jet blue does this. I called and was told wait time to speak to someone was 2 hours.

Can't find any clear answers on Delta or United's website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 02:08 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
I don't know, but even if you pay for an empty seat, there is no guarantee that the airline will not put a body in it. They will fill any empty seat if they have a paying passenger, even if seat was paid for.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:25 PM

So they can collect two payments for one seat? I would think if they put someone in the seat I bought, they better be refunding my money.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:04 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
This page on JetBlue's site says only one pet per passenger is allowed.

You're going to have a hard time calling any of the airlines at this point because of all the flight delays and cancellations due to the weather in the northeast. You're probably going to have bite the bullet and sit on hold for a couple hours.

Have you looked into pet transport services? Probably not cheap, but it may be an option.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:41 PM

Good point about the weather.
I could call later in the week. I just read on a pet board that it's kind of a loophole. They say one pet per person but they mean one pet per seat. Buy another seat and you can bring a pet.

It's such a long ride and the pet transport places estimated 4-5 days drive. I can't do that to them. I'll hire someone if I have to.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:56 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
Good point about the weather.
I could call later in the week. I just read on a pet board that it's kind of a loophole. They say one pet per person but they mean one pet per seat. Buy another seat and you can bring a pet.
I would not make plans based on what someone says "they mean." You could find yourself with a problem on the day of your trip when the gate agent enforces the written rule.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Ship the pet via air (maybe possible on your flight)

I wish all the pets were shipped in cargo (I hate getting fleas from flights) usually 'irresponsible companion' pet owners
I have seen more than 10 yapping companion pets on SWA flights to PDX.

You can always bring a friend to carry / accompany the pet. Surely many of your VA friends would JUMP at the chance to escape to CA! (One WAY!!!)

Old 01-09-2018, 01:36 PM

Thanks all. I spoke to United and they said that I can buy an empty seat and put the 2nd cat under the seat. However my friend might also we coming with me. So I do have options.

Stealthrabbit what airline had 10 dogs? They told me no more than 4 in coach. And I do feel bad that passengers have to deal with pets. But air travel today is awful for everyone. Last time I flew the baby in front of us kept having blow outs and all I smelled was poo for hours. The guy next to me on one flight took off his shoes and I could smell his socks! And let's not forget the dude last week who smeared his own feces in two bathrooms so the plane had to make an emergency landing. Humans can be far worse travel companions than pets!

Old 01-09-2018, 01:40 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
[quote=TheLonelyGoatherd;50617184]So they can collect two payments for one seat? I would think if they put someone in the seat I bought, they better be refunding my money.]

Haven't you read the news articles about bumping people off flights? Airlines make the rules. If people could buy an extra seat & be guaranteed that extra room, they would do that, instead of paying for business class. But the airline will put a body in that seat if they have one.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:32 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,510,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Ship the pet via air (maybe possible on your flight)

I wish all the pets were shipped in cargo (I hate getting fleas from flights) usually 'irresponsible companion' pet owners
I have seen more than 10 yapping companion pets on SWA flights to PDX.

You can always bring a friend to carry / accompany the pet. Surely many of your VA friends would JUMP at the chance to escape to CA! (One WAY!!!)
Best you fly in Australia. They are all in cargo except, I presume, service animals. We all get quite a shock to see let's in the cabin in North America. It is the only place I have ever come across them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel