U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 PM

271 posts, read 1,486,420 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I'm going to see U2 in concert in Philly next summer. I recently booked two nights at a hotel outside Lincoln Financial Field. I fly in on June 19, and fly out on June 21. June 20 is the day of the concert, and I'll be at the stadium all day doing General Admission.

I'd like to do some sightseeing the day before the concert. So I'm going to take an early-morning flight, and arrive in Philly early in the afternoon.

Can a hotel allow a guest to check in early in this case?

If I can't check into my hotel early- Where could I stash my luggage so that I can go sightseeing without lugging something around with me?

I can only take off from work those three days- so I'm in a real dilemma.

Do you guys have any advice for me? What do you think I should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 10:17 PM

13,158 posts, read 20,772,581 times
If your room is ready, you will usually be allowed to check in. If not, just ask the desk to hold your bags for you.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:17 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,223,704 times
Generally hotels will allow you to check in early but they won't let you go to your room (because it is still being cleaned). You can check in, take care of your papers, leave your luggage at the front desk/luggage room, and use a restroom in the lobby to freshen up if you wish.

The amtrak station has a luggage storage desk. Some people have success checking their luggage without a train ticket, others don't. The cost is $3 per bag.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:21 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,844,589 times
A hotel may let you check in early if your room type is available. But if no rooms in your type are available, not much they can do. when you arrive, go to the hotel and try to check-in. Apologize for the early arrival and let them know you may not be able to get a room that early. That usually lets them know your not rying to be a pain and they might make accomidations (get you an available room even if a better class) at the same rate. Ask if you can store your luggage until checkin. Most can do this. If it's some small type motel, they may have no rooms and no luggage storage.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:39 PM

9,415 posts, read 17,378,768 times
I've checked into hotels as early as 9 or 10 a.m. a few times. If it's empty and clean, they'll usually let you check right in.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:14 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,906,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I've checked into hotels as early as 9 or 10 a.m. a few times. If it's empty and clean, they'll usually let you check right in.
We have too.
We requested it ahead of time for our New Orleans hotel and got it at no extra charge.

There also have been many times (usually in Europe) where we checked in, asked to stow our backpacks, and then just went off exploring while our room was cleaned.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:41 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,542,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
Hey guys. I'm going to see U2 in concert in Philly next summer. I recently booked two nights at a hotel outside Lincoln Financial Field. I fly in on June 19, and fly out on June 21. June 20 is the day of the concert, and I'll be at the stadium all day doing General Admission.

I'd like to do some sightseeing the day before the concert. So I'm going to take an early-morning flight, and arrive in Philly early in the afternoon.

Can a hotel allow a guest to check in early in this case?

If I can't check into my hotel early- Where could I stash my luggage so that I can go sightseeing without lugging something around with me?

I can only take off from work those three days- so I'm in a real dilemma.

Do you guys have any advice for me? What do you think I should do?
To echo the others....most likely yes.
You might want to contact the hotel and ask them to put a early check in request on your reservation.
It's no guarentee but it might help.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:45 AM

50 posts, read 538,947 times
I work for a resort...i've worked in this industry for years... generally, yes, a hotel will allow you to check in early at no charge IF there is a room available for you.

I would recommend first calling the hotel (now) and placing an Early Check-In Request onto your reservation.

Second, I would call the hotel once you land in Philly on your arrival day. Let the agent know that you have an Early Check-In Request, and ask them what the status is. That's the best time to get an accurate answer from the agent...the morning of. They'll know if they have any Vacant-Ready rooms, or if they were sold-out the night before. They'll be able to give you a guess-timate of what time you may be able to check-in.

You can also leave your cell phone number with the agent and ask them to call you once a room is ready to check into. This lets the agent know that you're SERIOUS about getting in early. Any good agent will follow up with you.

Usually, you will be able to store your luggage at the hotel. Smaller, limited-service hotels will typically not charge for this service, larger, full-service hotels may charge a Baggage Storage Fee.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:32 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,560,030 times
If there is a room ready, they let you check in early. If not, then at least they are on notice and usually there is one ready within 30 minutes or so. I would say about 75 percent of the time i can check in early, sometimes even as early as noon. Otherwise, they will hold your bags at the front desk for you and ive done this before too.

G Man

Old 12-10-2009, 01:58 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,961,131 times
Any hotel with a Bell Captain will store anything you have, either before check-in or after check-out. There may be a charge and you should also tip per bag. I've done it frequently when at seminars that end in the middle of the day. I check out after breakfast, which they appreciate for giving them time to clean the room, then pick up my bags when I leave for the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel