U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-12-2009, 11:56 PM
 
Location: East Valley, AZ
3,852 posts, read 7,597,139 times
Reputation: 3964

Advertisements

A CB radio?! I'm not THAT old!

The route I take through Flagstaff and Kanab usually takes me about 9 hours (I drive a little too fast sometimes ), but the Vegas route is going to add on about 2-3 hours, plus I'm going to be driving slower, especially in southern Utah.

Thanks everyone, again, for your suggestions! You've helped me so much!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2009, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Big Island- Hawaii, AK, WA where the whales are!
1,482 posts, read 3,390,864 times
Reputation: 766
Beef Jerkey, trail mix, Vitamin Water, water, cds, second the Sat Radio of you can. Animals cookies stories haha Stealth Rabbit that is funny. Don't know how big your dog is? on my way to Alaska for quick breaks for both of us, I bought a soccer ball for him- kick it around the rest stops or pull overs when no one else there. Gave up both a wake up and some excersize! Have a fun/safe trip!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 02:34 AM
 
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
1,154 posts, read 3,666,688 times
Reputation: 690
You should spend the night in Colorado City

(in all seriousness I've always dreamed of driving through that place for kicks)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 09:44 AM
 
Location: East Valley, AZ
3,852 posts, read 7,597,139 times
Reputation: 3964
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Beef Jerkey, trail mix, Vitamin Water, water, cds, second the Sat Radio of you can. Animals cookies stories haha Stealth Rabbit that is funny. Don't know how big your dog is? on my way to Alaska for quick breaks for both of us, I bought a soccer ball for him- kick it around the rest stops or pull overs when no one else there. Gave up both a wake up and some excersize! Have a fun/safe trip!!
Beesley is only 20 pounds, so it'll be an easy drive for him. He sleeps all day anyway! I will have to make more stops because of him, which I think will be good for me staying awake. I usually try to stop as little as possible...when I had my Toyota I could make it on 1 1/2 tanks, meaning I only had to stop once in 9 hours
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 09:46 AM
 
Location: East Valley, AZ
3,852 posts, read 7,597,139 times
Reputation: 3964
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
You should spend the night in Colorado City

(in all seriousness I've always dreamed of driving through that place for kicks)
You don't want to drive through there...I have before.

My friend and I did it just for the heck of it, and we ended up getting chased out by a crazed polygamist. He followed us in his truck until we left. Good times
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Western North Carolina
4,276 posts, read 6,957,345 times
Reputation: 7952
Made cross country trips solo twice. Books on tape and NPR are your sanity savers, followed by stops to eat at quirky, non-chain restaurants, and lots of Dr. Pepper and Beef Jerky.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Way on the outskirts of LA LA land.
3,040 posts, read 9,820,881 times
Reputation: 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
The route I take through Flagstaff and Kanab usually takes me about 9 hours (I drive a little too fast sometimes ), but the Vegas route is going to add on about 2-3 hours, plus I'm going to be driving slower, especially in southern Utah.
You might be the only one doing so! The last several times I drove I-15 through southern Utah, just about everyone but me was going about 80 MPH (or faster)! I was only going 65-75 MPH, depending on conditions and the posted limit. One of those times it was snowing heavily, and the 'locals' still went about 80! I just didn't want to take any chances, but it seemed that I was the slow one in the bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
You don't want to drive through there...I have before.

My friend and I did it just for the heck of it, and we ended up getting chased out by a crazed polygamist. He followed us in his truck until we left. Good times
I remember several stories in the news about the happenings in Colorado City and Hilldale. Many of the stories revolved around Warren Jeffs, the leader of the polygamy movement in the area. He was arrested in 2006, after being placed on the FBI's 'most wanted' list. Here's more about him:
Warren Jeffs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 04:21 PM
 
Location: East Valley, AZ
3,852 posts, read 7,597,139 times
Reputation: 3964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
You might be the only one doing so! The last several times I drove I-15 through southern Utah, just about everyone but me was going about 80 MPH (or faster)! I was only going 65-75 MPH, depending on conditions and the posted limit. One of those times it was snowing heavily, and the 'locals' still went about 80! I just didn't want to take any chances, but it seemed that I was the slow one in the bunch.
I'm usually one of the people going 80, but they've been getting massive amounts of snow, so I think the road are going to be bad. I'm not used to bad driving conditions, my car isn't 4WD, and I only have mediocre tires. I have another life to worry about in the car this time, too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I remember several stories in the news about the happenings in Colorado City and Hilldale. Many of the stories revolved around Warren Jeffs, the leader of the polygamy movement in the area. He was arrested in 2006, after being placed on the FBI's 'most wanted' list. Here's more about him:
Warren Jeffs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Trust me, I know all about him

I'm a Mormon. Need I say more?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Way on the outskirts of LA LA land.
3,040 posts, read 9,820,881 times
Reputation: 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I'm usually one of the people going 80, but they've been getting massive amounts of snow, so I think the road are going to be bad. I'm not used to bad driving conditions, my car isn't 4WD, and I only have mediocre tires. I have another life to worry about in the car this time, too.
Well, all of those are good reasons to take it slow and easy. I could see how this could add several hours to the trip, compared to taking the Kanab route in good weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Trust me, I know all about him

I'm a Mormon. Need I say more?
Nope.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 06:09 PM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
4,799 posts, read 9,567,947 times
Reputation: 3457
Wonder why nobody mentioned: *Take a break often* ?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top