U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 AM

3,852 posts, read 8,277,068 times

Advertisements

In a week I'm driving from Mesa, AZ to Provo, UT to see my family for Christmas. I make this drive about 5 times a year, but this time it's going to be completely different. I can no longer speed and drive during the night as I will driving in winter conditions and with a dog. Normally I leave at night and travel through Flagstaff and Kanab, but I'm going to be going through Vegas in an effort to avoid as much snow as possible. My normal 9 hour road trip is going to turn into a 12 hour road trip--but I'll be driving during the day this time.

How do YOU entertain yourself during a road trip? I usually listen to music and sing along to keep myself awake. I'll be driving alone, as usual. Any tips of what I can do to keep myself entertained and still aware of the drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 11:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,524 posts, read 39,903,732 times
get yourself a cheap IPOD on craigslist ($20) and load-up books on tape (free at library), some favorite NPR programs, radio drama's.

If money is no barrier, buy a satellite radio package. That kept me entertained last week for a 7 day car rental in TX. ($14/day for unlimited mileage & car that included XM ) There are some great stations, but mostly not. I found one that kept me listening for a few days straight.

Other things I do:
Line up animal cookies on the dash / heater vents (non-frosted) and make up stories that rhyme with signs / cars / trucks I see. (I eat ONE, if I can get through the story with out losing my thought.

Eat M&M's by finding mile markers with same number or divisible by the number of letters in the color. There are various ways to play this game, the best on your diet is to reach in the bag and get one who's color matches the mile marker, Then do the math, otherwise, wrong color = you wait and draw again till you score.

I will also try to make a hard candy last 30+ miles.
My preference is night driving, as I would rather deal with truckers and drunks, than soccer moms, school kids, and 'Sunday drivers' (+it makes my games more challenging).

My car gets 52 mpg and has a 25 gal tank, so I don't stop much. (every 1000 miles or so). I am also a professional driver, so got in the mode "not rolling, not making money" Be consistant, Just don't hurry,

Old 12-12-2009, 12:19 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,860,426 times
Satellite radio, and books on tape are good ideas. I also keep a log of times and miles at certain landmarks, no real reason just something to do.

Houston to Minneapolis many times. Beef jerky, Gatorade, hard candy, water.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:21 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,277,068 times
Great ideas!! Please keep them coming. I'm looking on craigslist for IPODS as we speak! I'll be sure to stop by WalMart this week to buy snacks to keep me awake. I usually do the beef jerky, because it takes forever to eat and keeps me focused.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:48 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,341,703 times
C.B. radios are a mixed blessing; GREAT for weather, traffic and other info. But some of the people on the radio are ABSOLUTE jerks. Finding someone who can speak intelligently and going off to another channel is how I've enjoyed many a long night behind the wheel. I sometimes will engage RV drivers on the CB because many of them are personable AND have many interesting stories to tell. Have a great trip!

Old 12-12-2009, 03:02 PM

12,120 posts, read 28,529,638 times
Default well i'm behind

the times with mp3 technology and i pods but what i do is bring along my favorite CD's as well as CD's i haven't yet had a chance to hear. bring along enough to cover the trip time and play them all. play the CD's you're more used to in the more congested areas (I did this in NJ, Baltimore, DC, Richmond) and played the less known CD's in the more rural areas where traffic is lighter.

also, get to know the mileage and where you'd like to stop. things seem to go faster when you have an idea of the mileage and mileposts. my trips from NYC to atlanta went faster because i did the above.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:05 PM

233 posts, read 654,653 times
Long drives are perfect for learning new languages. I just add a language lesson on my ipod and I am ready to go. The interaction i.e. repeating new words, helps me stay awake.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:35 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,443,582 times
I like to take the "scenic" routes, and enjoy the scenery while I drive. This makes the time pass by quickly for me. Unfortunately, it sounds like you'll have to avoid the scenic route because of weather concerns. I don't know the route you plan to take, but I enjoyed US 93 from Phoenix to I-40 when I drove it a couple years ago. That was in November, though, and the snow wasn't falling yet.

According to Google maps, though, this way isn't much longer than going through Flagstaff and Kanab. It shows both routes to be about 12 hours plus, with a mileage difference of about 50 miles. Hopefully, this trip won't take you a whole lot longer than you're used to with the other route.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:14 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,223,704 times
Audiobooks are the best. You don't have to get an ipod, you can just buy them on CD or tape (although the selection is usually far less in this format).

Old 12-12-2009, 10:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,524 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Audiobooks are the best. You don't have to get an ipod, you can just buy them on CD or tape (although the selection is usually far less in this format).
or via audible.com (monthly subscription applies, but much free content available each month to members) I think most books are $3-$6, some less, some more. Or 'rip' them to MP.3 from your own CD's.

You can put alot of CD's on a $20-$40 used iPod (Nano preferred if you want to see a 'menu'). I only hope I can someday live in an area that has HS internet so I can get FAST podcasts (Like the 3rd world countries I've been. The USA is significantly behind...)

I really appreciate the time you can save by using podcasts (bleep the 'fluff')

There are only a few car radios that take SD cards, I wish there was a std format and more available options for transporting MP3, But... I guess we all need an iPod (and that helps my APPL stock)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or