U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:16 PM

30,155 posts, read 47,378,519 times

Advertisements

worst vacation we ever took was years ago when we took a driivng trip to Denver colorado one summer to visit friends in our Ford van--we went to Victoria from DFW at the start to visit relatives and discovered that our Sears port-a-potty we had taken for our kids to use had sprung a leak and gotten the back carpet of the van wet with liquid from the holding tank...1)

drove through New Mexico, saw Carlsbad Caverns and spent the night at creepy,older motel that looked like something out of a slasher film-(2)-this was before Internet travel siteslet people see where they were going...
(3)we spent the next night in Santa Fe but I was too sick to go to the Native American ruins with my husband and 2 children from something I ate either at the cafe at Carsbad or in Santa Fe ---the car also spent the day trying to get it straightened out--engine was running rough--and that was a hint of what was to come...
(4) We drive over the Raton Pass into Colorado next day and apparently buy some bad gas at a small station along the way...we stopped to eat lunch at Trinidad Colo just over the state line and when we tried to get back on the freeway on a very corkscrew entry ramp---the van stalls and engine dies...we are rolling backwards down the entrance ramp in decidedly the wrong direction with no way to pull to the side...(NO engine, NO power steering...ugh!)

Thanksfully there were no cars behind us entering at a fast rate---we rolled to side of street and tried to get the van started with no luck--my son 12 and daughter 8 were pretty upset--she was really scared--it was about 105 in the car and hotter out--To top it off, it was a Saturday--we were lucky to call the Ford dealership in town and get a tow truck sent out to pick up the van...
He took us to dealership and they worked on car for an hour or so--said it was probably vapor lock from the heat--finally got it started again and when we drove out the only way up the freeway that my husband could find was that same entrance ramp---
(5) YES--we did exactly the same thing--called again and got the same tow truck (actually the only tow truck at that time in Trinidad). We were at the Ford dealership for more than 4 hours the second time with them working on the carburator--and putting on some type of fuel pump that they had to drive to Colorado Springs to get before they could put it in--expensive...and boring as hell...

When we finally started out--we asked specifically for a way NOT using that entrance ramp...got back on the freeway over 4 hours late--and along the way started to have engine cut out--would switch the fuel tanks back and forth--but knew it was just a matter of time...that road had traffic but not a lot of places/towns to pull off

6--Finally gave up the ghost and costed to stop in some gas station about 30 mi s of Colorado Springs--we managed to call a Ford dealer there to send a tow truck out to pick us up---scene out of Rocky Horro Picture show when he shows up--
Cranks the van up frontwards--makes us ride in the van--totally illegal--has 2 girls riding w/him in his tow truck--we are watching him make out with one of them while the speedometer of our van is going over 45 mi an hour and we have no control of steering/braking--road is busy into Colorado Springs Saturday night--by now it is almost 10 pm Sat night--the dealership is still open--we drop the van off--we had called our friend in Denver to meet us in Colorado Springs at the dealership--too late to rent a car for us--we pack all our stuff into her Cadillac with her son who came with her and us 4 and drive back to Denver --get there about 1 am---to find out that her house does not have A/C and Denver is having a heat wave and she and her husband are not talking because they are on edge of getting a divorce...

Not the happiest of vacations--and that was only the first half...we can laugh about it now--but I don't know too many people who have been towed three times in same day--twice by same tow truck from the same spot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 05:25 PM

718 posts, read 2,153,848 times
Two bad experiences. The first happened on my honeymoon in Jamaica. After about three days of sightseeing and just going everywhere, we decided to sped a relaxing day at the resort. We decided to snorkel, and spent much of the day doing just that. After returning to the room to shower, I realized I was badly sunburned on the backside of my body. Sunscreen needs to applied more than twice a day when you are doing something like that. Plus, not a good way to spend the remaining days of your honeymoon!

Second happened on our trip to New Zealand in Nov of 2005. The first week we were there, I guess I got a bug or ate something bad. I started throwing up and could not stop. Went to a doctor who drew blood and gave me some medicine which did not help. Had to go back the next day, the bloodwork showed my kidneys were in bad shape and I really needed IV fluids. After talking to a nephrologist at the hospital, the doctor decided hospitalization was not needed. I went to the pharmacy myself and realized they sold phenegran over the counter in New Zealand for allergies, bought a pack, went to the hotel, slept for about 10 hours, woke up good as new. A week sick in NZ, not fun.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:19 PM

3,753 posts, read 9,610,770 times
In the 80s we were flying from the Midwest to Lisbon thru NY. They cancelled the flight to Ny. After 45 minutes of arguing and crying at the counter of TWA, we got new arrangements. With one little piece of paper and our "thankfully" carryon luggage, they flew us to:
St. Louis, Chicago, Heathrow, Madrid and Lisbon. 24 hours later, we arrived and no one greeted us. They thought we were no shows. Found a money changer, a taxi and finally found the hotel. I still have no memories of some of these flights.

Pre security days. No way would we have been able to do this anymore.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:11 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,143,928 times
The worst trip of my life was about 20 years on a trip to Japan. I flew out of DC to LA, rented a car drove around to see the sights of LA, to be back at LAX by 9pm for the Phillipine Airlines Flight to Tokyo. I arrived at 6pm, checked in went to the gate, yes the sign was up for Tokyo, I waited, none showed up. At 11pm, none had showed up but a lot of passengers waiting to board. The airline never said anything to us, they turned the lights out and went home. The next morning at 6am, an attendant made an announcement they were ready to board. Groggy and hesitant, I boarded this flight. We took off and half way to Hawaii, the landing gear got stuck and the pilot said we were going back to LA to fix the problem(foam up the runway at LAX). Luckily, no crash landing later the plane was repaired(all the nuts and bolts of this aircraft was taken off and put back on). We got back on this contraption(via Manila). When I got to Manila, a typhoon had just hit, my hotel was flooded with waist deep water, no lights, no food until morning. The airport opened the next day, we take off for Tokyo. When I arrived at Tokyo, the efficient Japanese took good care of me. Never take Phillipine Air!!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:23 PM

617 posts, read 2,357,732 times
Well definitely not as bad as most peoples' stories, but my family and I were flying to Hawaii and we had a layover in Minnesota. It snowed two feet, our flight was delayed and we had to stay overnight. We only had shorts and short sleeves!

Old 07-21-2007, 06:45 AM

25,672 posts, read 24,314,266 times
I've never really had a 'terrible' exp but was worried (a little?! )when a US Air cancelled a flight back here from Calif once. Ive read about this happening more frequently than anyone else with that airline though....
My first trip to WI was shortly after that 9-11 thing and they gave me a seat right in between two people who dressed and spoke fluent Arabic during the flight, back and forth to each other. At first it was a little scarey, and I offered to trade seats with one of them so they can talk more freely but during the flight (and I wanted the aisle seat anyway, lol) we ended up talking more, all 3 of us, and it turns out they were coming to Az too, to visit family out here and were very nice, very smart and even humourous a couple of times. Other than that, havent really had too big a problem with travel.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:41 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,328,897 times
wow! some people have had HORRIFIC experiences! i feel bad for all of you. The worst thing that ever happened to me was missing a flight!

Old 07-24-2007, 02:54 PM

358 posts, read 851,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I hope to visit Moscow someday. It looks like an amazing place.
It is a wonderful place. However, it's becoming more westernized all the time, so unlike a few decades ago -- today, it isn't terribly unlike several other major European cities. The great news is that the US dollar, Euro or British pound go a long way! Just don't get sick too far outside of Moscow and St Petersburg (no western medicine in most places).

Old 07-25-2007, 03:20 PM

319 posts, read 379,338 times
I had trouble getting to a hotel room in San Francisco.
We left New York at 6:30PM and got to SF at 11 Local time. The plane was delayed about 90 minutes.
When we got out of the SF airport, we went through the wrong place.. and we couldn't find a cab ANYWHERE. Eventually, we walked around the perimeter of the airport (30 minute walk), until we finally found the front entrance of San Francisco International... and got a cab there.
We eventually found the hotel (Ramada on Market/12th), but there was a problem with my friend's printed Expedia ticket.
LONG STORY SHORT!
I fell asleep at about 2AM, and got up at 7AM the following morning, to walk around San Francisco till DUSK OF THAT DAY! Lmao. Man, I was so tired.

Another unpleasant experience -- taking a bus from New York to Montreal.
10 hours of boredom.

Last edited by EugeneBKLYN; 07-25-2007 at 03:29 PM..

Old 07-28-2007, 07:29 AM

2,639 posts, read 6,034,263 times
My worst travel experience wasn't actually to do with the flight itself, but getting there. I'd been skiing in Italy and was due to catch a flight home from Milan to London. I'd decided to arrive at the airport early so I could relax and have a bite to eat before takeoff. Well, anyone who has every tried to nagivate the surburbs of Milan will know that they're a complete maze. I spent four hours driving round in circles trying in vain to find the road to the airport and instead found mytelf travelling through the most horrible areas with prostitutes and drug dealers on every corner. A word of warning to anyone who is ever in Milan, never rely on the signposts because some of them are wrong and many others just disappear altogether! Buy a map instead, they're a lot more reliable.

Anyway I'm off skiing in Italy again next February and am yet again going via Milan airport so hopefully I'll have more luck next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or