Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:50 PM

199 posts, read 176,401 times

Advertisements

I normally stay 1 night per week at an older [name deleted] Inn in San Antonio since it's clean and centrally located. Normal rate is $53/night up until June hit. Now, the same room is $20 more per night + taxes. I noticed that there are no more cars in the parking lot than before. In fact, it looks like even less!! I always thought that motel/hotel rates were "supply and demand", but that appears not to be the case. These ppl are no better than the oil companies who hike gasoline prices every time the Middle East hiccups. Sucks.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-11-2016 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: Please don't name names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 12:28 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
What you're saying is that this [name deleted] Inn jacks up prices when there's no demand? And that their vacancy rate is very high? And that you know this by eyeballing the amount of cars in their parking lot?
And why was your stay at [name deleted] a "ripoff"? Did they misled you on the rate?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-11-2016 at 06:26 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 04:31 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Well, to you it's a rip off, to someone else it's a bargain. You could always find a nice Wal Mart parking lot to sleep in.

Rates also change with the season.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:43 AM

857 posts, read 843,326 times
If you stay in that hotel that often, do they have a rewards/points program that would allow you to offset the increased cost by getting a free room here and there? Holiday Inn (used to use it a lot during extensive travel) is great about it. Seems like points accumulate real quick. Just a thought.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:12 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatpenny View Post
I normally stay 1 night per week at an older [name deleted] Inn in San Antonio since it's clean and centrally located. Normal rate is $53/night up until June hit. Now, the same room is $20 more per night + taxes. I noticed that there are no more cars in the parking lot than before. In fact, it looks like even less!! I always thought that motel/hotel rates were "supply and demand", but that appears not to be the case. These ppl are no better than the oil companies who hike gasoline prices every time the Middle East hiccups. Sucks.
I see no evidence of "rip off" or even much of a legitimate complaint here. Why would "supply and demand" not be the case? If they are pricing themselves outside the market rate demand will go down and they will lose money, and then drop prices again. The only exception might be "price gouging" that would occur if, for instance, an emergency demand situation occurs (i.e. hurricane evacuation on the coast, etc) but there is no indication of that here.

By the way gas is at historically low prices when corrected for inflation. Why does your complaint seem to only go one way? - complain when oil prices are high but silent when oil prices are low.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-11-2016 at 06:28 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 08:33 AM

213 posts, read 227,669 times
Did you try to book a room somewhere else? If so, what was the price? And if not, why not?

Old 06-10-2016, 10:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Sorry, I can't agree with you or sympathize on this one. I do understand how you feel, but June to Sept is among the heaviest travel time of the year and certainly a motel in a touristy city will up their rates. If they continue to lose business you may see the rates go down. In the meanwhile it is supply and demand. Like the rest of us, they are in the business to make money.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-11-2016 at 06:30 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 02:03 PM

199 posts, read 176,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sorry, I can't agree with you or sympathize on this one. I do understand how you feel, but June to Sept is among the heaviest travel time of the year and certainly a motel in a touristy city will up their rates. If they continue to lose business you may see the rates go down. In the meanwhile it is supply and demand. Like the rest of us, they are in the business to make money.
As I said, I have stayed at this motel every week for several months. This was the first time that I noticed only 2 other cars parked in the area where I always stay. I am on the frequent stay program, but they don't accumulate that fast. If the motel were legitimately with NO VACANCY, I could understand the higher prices, but that's not the case. I'm going to use Air BNB service I the next few months, although I notice that the " bargain" properties go quickly and there has to good advance to get them.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:25 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
It is common for a hotel to sharply raise prices if it is a holiday weekend, or some event is going on. Maybe that is why.

We just passed up a [name deleted] that was going to charge $159. a night over Memorial Day weekend, and instead, stayed at an Econolodge, which was $120. Mistake. Big mistake. We wished we had spent more at [name deleted]. Both of these were about $50. cheaper, normally.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-11-2016 at 06:31 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 02:34 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
As I said, I have stayed at this motel every week for several months. This was the first time that I noticed only 2 other cars parked in the area where I always stay. I am on the frequent stay program, but they don't accumulate that fast. If the motel were legitimately with NO VACANCY, I could understand the higher prices, but that's not the case. I'm going to use Air BNB service I the next few months, although I notice that the " bargain" properties go quickly and there has to good advance to get them.
Sometimes a low price indicates to people that it is low quality. If you increase the price it "magically" is more attractive for some folks. Or if they have less business they may try to make it up by charging more - doesn't make sense but you never know.

The point is, you started counting on the low price and got surprised and mad when it was more...simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel