U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 01:40 PM

21,093 posts, read 23,918,022 times

Advertisements

We will be traveling this Christmas from NC to MI for the first time during winter.

We are familiar with the I-80 Turnpike area as weather goes, BUT what can we expect along I-77 between the NC border and I-80 in Ohio?

Specifically from VA to Marietta Ohio?

Guessing there is snow possibilities from Marietta Ohio north.

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 09:50 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,442,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
We will be traveling this Christmas from NC to MI for the first time during winter.

We are familiar with the I-80 Turnpike area as weather goes, BUT what can we expect along I-77 between the NC border and I-80 in Ohio?

Specifically from VA to Marietta Ohio?

Guessing there is snow possibilities from Marietta Ohio north.

THANKS

Outside of Wytheville, Beckley & Charleston, very little in the way of restaurants, hotels, etc. I would recommend filling up your gas tank in Wytheville as it is generally $.20-$.25 cheaper/gallon there than anywhere in West Virginia which has a much higher state gas tax.

Also, consider exiting I-77 at exit 138/US-33 near Ripley, WV. You'll see signs for Columbus, OH. Take that all the way to Columbus, catch US-23 there, and ride that to I-75 (unless you are going to hit Cbus right at a rush hour). Will save you the cost of the tolls and very little difference in time. Another alternate you can consider is taking I-77 all the way to Canton, exit at US-30 west which is now a divided 4-lane highway all the way to Fort Wayne, and you can catch OH-15/US-23 near Upper Sandusky and hit I-75 that way again avoiding the tolls. Plus the US-30 route will have much less traffic than the turnpike.

As for the weather, there are some high elevations in Virginia and southern West Virginia that have some sharp curves and can be foggy at times. Just adhere to the speed limits and you'll be fine (of course slowing down if there is snow/ice). It is very scenic as well, so just make sure you are paying attention to the road as you can be easily distracted! From Charleston to Marietta, there are still some sharp turns, but far less traffic than before.

Safe travels!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or