U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 05:02 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,285,884 times

Advertisements

9 hours, after that, my back gives out. I use to not drive more than 1.5 hours, but flying is such a hassle, if I can drive somewhere in 9 hours and not fly, I'll do it and that usually takes less time than flying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 05:59 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,449,908 times
Longest I've ever driven, in a Chevrolet Cavalier with no cruise control was Detroit to Miami.

No sleep.

But you can bet your ass I was asleep the second I hit Miami.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 PM

150 posts, read 413,826 times
I drove from Louisville, KY to Pensacola, FL (took about 11 hours) stopping only for gas and restroom breaks. Drove back 2 days later. It wasn't too bad, but I did have a backache for a few days and my eyes were EXHAUSTED.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:25 AM

977 posts, read 1,629,232 times
Longest I have done is 18 hours, solo. Blue Earth, MN to Albuquerque, NM, 1170 miles. I had actually planned to stop in Liberal, KS (about 12 hours), but was so awake when I got there I just kept going.
That was about the only long trip where I actually did have cruise control. I have done Sioux City, IA to Albuquerque (15 hours) numerous times without cruise. Also did a 3-day trip from Tampa, FL to Albuquerque without cruise. I find not having cruise control helps keep you awake on drives like that.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:49 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,119,653 times
Weatherford, Texas (just west of Fort Worth) to Tucson, Arizona in one day this summer. 869 miles, by myself, took 13 hours and 40 minutes.

Started the journey at about 5:30 AM Central time and arrived at about 5:10 PM Pacific time.

They key to long drives is to break the trip down into small milestones. Leaving Weatherford, my first milestone was to reach Abilene, then Midland, then Pecos, TX, then El Paso, then Deming, NM, and finally Tucson. If you start out the day knowing exactly where you're going to refuel, go to the bathroom, or eat it makes the drive a lot more tolerable. Also, it helps tremendously to not be in a rush. Trying to make 500+ miles go by quickly is not sensible at all.

I would probably not make the drive in one day again. I-20 across small Texas towns is extremely monotonous, but I-10 is pretty interesting as it travels through mountains that separate the Great Plains from the Chihuahuan Desert.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:44 AM

75 posts, read 198,315 times
Longest I've ever done no sleep!

Chicago, IL to San Antonio, Tx!!

lol crazy I know!

We stayed 1 day then drove ALL THE WAY BACK!!

Total Time Gone: 3 1/2 Days!

Old 01-20-2010, 04:15 PM

202 posts, read 404,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
1000 miles through a traffic free interstate highway out west is easier than 400 miles through tolls, hills and very heavy traffic in the rain/snow on the east coast on roads like Interstate 95 and the PA Turnpike. It is not always the number of miles driving-- it is the traffic/weather conditions.

I live in Massachuetts, and I have driven the 471 miles from here to Ashland, Virginia on route 95 a number of times. I dont drive 90 mph and I take bathroom breaks. About 8 and a half hours is what it takes me, maybe 9 hours if there was construction going on somewhere and I got the 'stop and go' traffic.

Also, there are less tolls now than there were years ago. (at least on my route) I can remember driving to VA with my mom when I was young, and all the tolls we had to stop for, espescially in CT.

Going 480 miles in one day is absolutely doable. I think the most I would want to drive in one day is about 10 hours..maybe 11. However, if there is bad weather, that will slow you up. That's the issue with planning driving trips in the winter. You dont know what kind of weather you are going to get. I never drive anywhere long distance in the winter because i just dont want to take that chance.
But, without the bad winter weather to worry about, 480 miles in a day isnt bad for me.

Now, I would LOVE to do a cross country road trip one day( with at least one other driver..2 even better) from MA to CA. Stopping along the way in different states, seeing the sights, then moving on. That is my dream trip!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,445,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winecountry1 View Post
Now, I would LOVE to do a cross country road trip one day( with at least one other driver..2 even better) from MA to CA. Stopping along the way in different states, seeing the sights, then moving on. That is my dream trip!
I keep thinking I would like to do the trip the other direction, going from California to Massachusetts. The route I would like to take is US 6 all the way from Bishop, CA to Provincetown, MA. I would probably actually want to start in Long Beach, which used to be the western terminus of US 6. Before the section from Long Beach to Bishop was abandoned, US 6 was the longest transcontinental route in the U.S. Now it's second longest, behind US 20.

I've driven bits and pieces of US 6 in CA, NV, UT, and CO, but would someday like to drive the entire route. Information about it can be found here:

U.S. Route 6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps I could take US 20 back across the country, then US 101 back into California. It would be a long, but interesting, trip. It would take more than a day, though!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:57 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,203,537 times
20 hours but it was when I was younger. I won't do more than 14 or so now.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:22 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,451,669 times
When you start fighting to stay awake, call it quits for the day as you put yourself and others in danger.

I had a harrowing experience in my younger days.
I worked from 3am til 1:30 ( 10 hours) on my job doing hard physical labor. Drove 30 miles home, had some things to do, then left by myself in my old,reliable truck to meet a guy 250 miles away for deer hunting.

About 30 miles into the trip, the sun was already setting. No radio in the pick up.
I drank coffee, stuck my head out the window, slapped my face,trying to stay awake.

About 20 miles from my destination, on a 2 lane deserted state road -------suddenly I approached a RR track and a train was crossing. I hit the brakes and my truck slid crossways right up to the tracks as the train passed in front of me.

After shaking like a leaf for a couple minutes, I was now wide awake and would have no trouble staying awake.

After re-starting the pick up and straightening it out, I realized there were no RR tracks anywhere.

That train was a halucination from lack of sleep.

Never will drive when that tired again !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or