U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 03:49 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,654,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
When you start fighting to stay awake, call it quits for the day as you put yourself and others in danger.

I had a harrowing experience in my younger days.
I worked from 3am til 1:30 ( 10 hours) on my job doing hard physical labor. Drove 30 miles home, had some things to do, then left by myself in my old,reliable truck to meet a guy 250 miles away for deer hunting.

About 30 miles into the trip, the sun was already setting. No radio in the pick up.
I drank coffee, stuck my head out the window, slapped my face,trying to stay awake.

About 20 miles from my destination, on a 2 lane deserted state road -------suddenly I approached a RR track and a train was crossing. I hit the brakes and my truck slid crossways right up to the tracks as the train passed in front of me.

After shaking like a leaf for a couple minutes, I was now wide awake and would have no trouble staying awake.

After re-starting the pick up and straightening it out, I realized there were no RR tracks anywhere.

That train was a halucination from lack of sleep.

Never will drive when that tired again !

I once saw a little man, about 3 feet tall, run across the road in front of me. He was hugging one of those big, aluminum highway light poles to his chest.

Even though I was less than 10 miles from my destination, it was nap time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 02:10 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,008,881 times
The longest I ever drove without stopping for sleep was about 25 hours...from somewhere in Mid-Texas to the Central Califrornia coast. I will NEVER do that again. Almost killed myself.

Today the longest I would go is about 12 hours, but even that is a bit much.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:18 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,296,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
The longest I ever drove without stopping for sleep was about 25 hours...from somewhere in Mid-Texas to the Central Califrornia coast. I will NEVER do that again. Almost killed myself.
Crazy talk.

I feel like a wimp...6/7 hours is my max. I know this b/c we do it every week and by the end of it I'm like a little ball of wire jelly. Or something like that.
If I was in a different country I think I could go for longer. For me part of the weariness comes from boredom and over-familiarity.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:14 PM

28,232 posts, read 39,872,938 times
When I was a young man, many years ago I drove Des Moines to Denver and Des Moines to Dallas non-stop by myself. I won't do that now, but it was easy then.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:24 PM

508 posts, read 985,590 times
Just drove from west suburbs of the Twin Cities all the way to south of Tampa, and back 8 days later, straight through, no stops for the night, with 3 kids and my wife in an SUV. It's 26 hours of driving, just over 30 hours tops, and 1700 miles one way. you throw some McDonalds at them and keep truckin'.

We left home around midnight and that worked well on my kids to sleep through the night,
The drive was fine except for Iowa. It's rough especially in the dark. So flat and boring. You want to pass out. I had to keep playing with the GPS for fun to stay awake....
they woke up outside of St Louis, Missouri and were fine with me continuing to drive to Monteagle, TN and then wanted to stop for dinner and stretch out, change clothes, etc...

The way back, Georgia was the toughest. The state is long to get through and it's dark before you hit the border. The temp kept dropping the further north we went which made us cranky and the kids became annoyed in the last 2 hours of the trip, so we put on a movie for them and they made it. I crashed after I got home 4pm and didn't get up for dinner.... woke up at 6:45AM and went to work. I should have taken another day off.

I'd do it all again if I had to - just need a few more weeks to breathe before ever trying it. Spent $600 bucks in gas and had my own vehicle as opposed to 3 grand for flying and then I still would haved needed a rental. Yet, there is something to say for not having to clean your car...

Old 01-23-2010, 12:03 PM

1,426 posts, read 2,591,961 times
Oklahoma City to Tucson ... 990 miles. Never again.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:08 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,227,653 times
20 hours..do it often

Old 01-23-2010, 01:23 PM

4,392 posts, read 3,556,137 times
Well, I'm not sure about my limits but back in July 2005 when I couldn't drive yet, my dad and I went from Durango, CO to Canyon, TX via the Four Corners, Monument Valley and Farmington, NM. It's normally supposed to be about 800 miles and a 17 hour drive. Unfortunately for my dad, we stopped in a lot of places to take pictures. And this was after getting a late start in Durango (I don't know why my dad decided to wash his car before going through the desert). By the time we got to Farmington it was already dark. We ended up getting to Canyon at 3:30 AM CDT. My dad said it was the most exhausted he's ever been after driving.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:52 AM

8 posts, read 22,139 times
I drove from Cleveland to just west of Ammarillo, TX 2 years ago. That was over 20 hours and I will not do that again. I find 12 hours in a comfortable vehicle is very nice and just right.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:27 PM

9,467 posts, read 12,300,407 times
500 Miles is not a long trip for someone from
California , 1,000 Miles or longer "is" have a
nice day trip and enjoy yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or