U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 04:39 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,210,798 times

Advertisements

16.5 hours Mobile Al to Accomac Va

San Antonio Tx to Tucson 13.5 hours

12-14 hour average, I hate nightdriving + Im older
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:06 PM

10 posts, read 19,715 times
I've driven myself from Pittsburgh area to New Orleans (1,000+ miles) with about a 2 hr break in the middle. I've also made a day-trip to Rehoboth Beach from Pittsburgh - 6 hours one way. There and back in the same day.

A few years ago we took a family trip to the Grand Canyon. My dad drove from Pittsburgh to Denver (1,500 miles). It took us 36 hours. We stopped in St. Louis for about 4 hours to do some sightseeing. He also took a nap during a bad t-storm in Kansas.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:28 PM

202 posts, read 404,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I keep thinking I would like to do the trip the other direction, going from California to Massachusetts. The route I would like to take is US 6 all the way from Bishop, CA to Provincetown, MA. I would probably actually want to start in Long Beach, which used to be the western terminus of US 6. Before the section from Long Beach to Bishop was abandoned, US 6 was the longest transcontinental route in the U.S. Now it's second longest, behind US 20.

I've driven bits and pieces of US 6 in CA, NV, UT, and CO, but would someday like to drive the entire route. Information about it can be found here:

U.S. Route 6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps I could take US 20 back across the country, then US 101 back into California. It would be a long, but interesting, trip. It would take more than a day, though!

The bits and pieces that you have driven ( CA,NV,UT, CO) are some of THE most interesting places to me.

The one and only time I went to CA (back in 2008) We switched plans in Denver, CO. I will never forget how cool it was flying over that area, and seeing all the mountains. It was AWESOME! I would love to go hiking out that way!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:32 AM

9,467 posts, read 12,298,316 times
When I was in my 20's in the late 1970's and earily 1980's I would
drive from Long Beach or Oakland or San Francisco or Vallejo CA
home to see my family in Tulsa Oklahoma and that drive would
take somewhere between 24 & 48 Hours Non-Stop-Driving. Now
when I was in my 20's I also participated in All Night Loving , the
Cross Country Driving and All Night Loving are two things that I
no longer "Participate In Thank GOD".

Old 02-08-2010, 07:22 AM

27 posts, read 80,132 times
I guess it is all realtive to what you are used to. For me it is 240 miles to Walmart. No we don't go every day. I discovered that the best time to drive with children in the car is at night. Take them out to the McD's or Taco Bell about eight or nine, get it to go, and hit the road. The whole family is usually asleep by ten and then you have the whole night to drive. You can usually cover about 900 miles on a freeway before it is time for bathroom breaks. In the morning if you aren't at the relatives yet have the wife take over the wheel for a few hours while you catch a nap. We drove from Dawson Creek Canada to Edmonton Alberta one trip this way and when we arrived in Edmonton we had arranged a check in at 10 a.m. The kids and my beloved wife hit the pool while I took a power nap for a few hours in the room. A couple of secrets for night driving, keep your eyes moving, don't focus on the white lines, have a bag of chips or better yet a bag of sunflower seeds in the shell handy as well as your favorite beverage (non-alcoholic). I usually keep a six pack of the generic sodas with the different flavors to change up the drive. Something about a grapefruit soda stimulates you when you think you are having a black cherry. Also, stay away from talk radio and go with a mixed cd from home with a variety of music or better yet the latest Jerry Clower or Ray Stevens tape will have you laughing half the way there.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:59 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,447,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldoviadad View Post
I guess it is all realtive to what you are used to. For me it is 240 miles to Walmart. No we don't go every day. I discovered that the best time to drive with children in the car is at night. Take them out to the McD's or Taco Bell about eight or nine, get it to go, and hit the road. The whole family is usually asleep by ten and then you have the whole night to drive. You can usually cover about 900 miles on a freeway before it is time for bathroom breaks. In the morning if you aren't at the relatives yet have the wife take over the wheel for a few hours while you catch a nap. We drove from Dawson Creek Canada to Edmonton Alberta one trip this way and when we arrived in Edmonton we had arranged a check in at 10 a.m. The kids and my beloved wife hit the pool while I took a power nap for a few hours in the room. A couple of secrets for night driving, keep your eyes moving, don't focus on the white lines, have a bag of chips or better yet a bag of sunflower seeds in the shell handy as well as your favorite beverage (non-alcoholic). I usually keep a six pack of the generic sodas with the different flavors to change up the drive. Something about a grapefruit soda stimulates you when you think you are having a black cherry. Also, stay away from talk radio and go with a mixed cd from home with a variety of music or better yet the latest Jerry Clower or Ray Stevens tape will have you laughing half the way there.
---" You can usually cover about 900 miles on a freeway before it is time for bathroom breaks "--

900 miles --?

Cerainly not me. Besides, my car can't go 900 miles without a " fuel break" in the middle.

Besides that, even averaging 75mph, 900 miles is 12 hours.

I doubt kids will sleep straight thru from 9 at night til 9 in the morning ( 12 hours)

Old 02-09-2010, 01:30 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,774,488 times
It's easily do-able. The OP posted this for Christmas and I didn't read all 12 pages here...did he do it?

However, how do-able long distance driving is and how advisable it is may be 2 different things. I've driven non-stop (ok, combining gas stops with restroom and food stops) from Middle Tennessee to Vegas...I guess that was my longest alone non-stop drive. Drove Spokane to Barstow without stopping for rest once.

But, to illustrate, I got stopped by a cop in Oklahoma once for speeding who asked me how long I'd been driving. I told him and he told me to get off at the next exit and get a motel room. He followed me to the motel and waited in the lot until I came out of the office and showed him the room key. I was actually kind of glad he stopped me.

I've never had a wreck, but it's only by the grace of God...I usually tended to drive longer than was safe when young. I usually don't exceed 10 hard hours now...

Old 02-10-2010, 09:48 AM

3,849 posts, read 6,768,548 times
I've done several long road trips, and my max is about 10 hours, maybe 12. I like to start very early-like 4-5am, that way I am doing the max driving during daylight hours.
I don't think 480 miles is too much. I estimate that to be about 8-10 hours? (I drive a little faster than posted). You may feel you could go further.
Just pay attention to how you feel, if you get too tired, by all means stop and rest when you need to. It's easier to do it when you are alone, but with another person, there may be more stops, rest peroids, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
My wife wants to go visit the relatives for Christmas. She does not have a drivers license, so I would have to do all the driving. Airfare is sky high and so we are forced to drive.

The relatives live 480 miles from our house and she wants to start driving at dawn and attempt to make it all the way. She estimates if we average 60 miles per hour and stop for a hour and a half on the way to get gas, bathroom breaks and two meals, we can make it to Columbus Ohio in about 10 hours.

To me that is a long way to drive especially during the Christmas Weekend when there is a lot of traffic and possible bad weather and icy roads. I want to break the long trip up where we drive 5 hours each day and stay at a hotel after driving about 240 miles. She does not want to take so much time off work. We are at a stalemate.

Would you drive the ten hours on Christmas Eve and then stay for three nights and do the ten hour drive back four days later, or is that too much hassle? What would you do?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:05 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,099,301 times
Great thread. I have learned a lot from the posts here.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:59 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,977,460 times
We've gone close to 20 hrs but that was too long. Usually try to go no longer than 12 - 13. We both have bad back issues that don't comfortably handle long trips well anymore. Last time we did that, in Nov due to a death in the family, I had to take a muscle-relaxant to prevent problems.

One of our most fun trips was "touring" through the upper-half of Arizona one year in our van with no reservations anywhere. I wouldn't say that any of it were super-long drives, but I'd love to do the lower-half of Arizona someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or