U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 04:00 PM

960 posts, read 2,256,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
I want to take a road trip so bad, after this winter blizzard we just had in DC, I'm thinking about heading south florida, but I don't know if I can do it by myself, even though I've driven 8 hours by myself before, then i'm sure I can split the hours up and make it a two day trip, but I may have to stop in Atlanta cuz I don't know if I want to spend money on a hotel..
If you are coming from DMV you do not want to stop in Atlanta as that will take you too far west. From DMV, I would take 95 S and stop Savannah or Jacksonville, FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 04:01 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,916,553 times
About 6 times a year I drive Charlotte NC to Toronto. its 17 hours including brief gas/bathroom stops.

Yes, I am nuts.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:04 AM

645 posts, read 1,288,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
If you are coming from DMV you do not want to stop in Atlanta as that will take you too far west. From DMV, I would take 95 S and stop Savannah or Jacksonville, FL.

Savannah...I was thinking about stopping there because it's closer to my destination. Your right!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:16 PM

3,951 posts, read 6,935,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldoviadad View Post
I guess it is all realtive to what you are used to.
You're right on that.

I'm used to long distance driving. Everyone else I know is not.

Longest I drove was around 680 miles in one day. I stopped frequently to stretch my legs, go to the bathroom, had some water and some snacks but I did not stuff myself. Point is, if you stuff yourself, you start to get sleepy.

My one friend thinks that 30 miles is a very long distance to drive.

But it depends on where you are. If you're in the midwest, you have to drive quite a long distance to the next place.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:21 AM

977 posts, read 1,630,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
After re-starting the pick up and straightening it out, I realized there were no RR tracks anywhere.

That train was a halucination from lack of sleep.

Never will drive when that tired again !
That's pretty bad. I don't know if I can top that, but there are two instances of sleepiness at the wheel that I remember clearly.

First one was in high school. 3 of my friends and I had gone up to Minneapolis (about 6 hours) for Ozzfest. Ozzfest was an all day event, from about 8am to 11pm. We decided to drive back after the concert instead of camping out one more night. About an hour from home, all four of us were asleep, including myself at the wheel. I woke up when I hit the rumble strips on the opposite side of the road. The road was going over a slight hill and curving to the right. Fortunately the rumble strips were there to wake me before launching the car into the ditch, and fortunately there was no oncoming traffic at the moment.

The second was when I was about 22. I had driven overnight from Albuquerque, and was north of Omaha on I-29 early in the morning (about 13.5 hours going at that point). I had planned to stop in Onawa, IA for gas. I woke up staring at the exit for Sloan, which is about 10 miles north of Onawa. There was about a 30 mile stretch that I just don't remember driving. Basically, I was effectively sleeping while driving.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:36 AM

4,577 posts, read 3,639,398 times
I can go about 13 hours max with breaks. I tend to get too sleepy-eyed and I don't like driving at night.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:03 AM

867 posts, read 2,615,277 times
I drove from Disneyworld to Houston, TX (nearly 1000 miles) in one day.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:02 PM

8,668 posts, read 20,321,057 times
What could I do and what will I do are two different things! We recently drove from Dallas to Nashville and broke it into two days. It was about 6 hours each day. I did not want to attempt the 12 hour drive (considering stopping for lunch/rest breaks) because I have been battling back problems and did want to push the envelope too much on that. We could have driven the 12 hours otherwise. Really though, I consider about 7-8 hours driving to be a comfortable one day car trip. Again, what can be safely done and what I would consider desirable are two different things.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:39 PM

34,384 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Different people have different tolerances to how long they can drive,when you start getting tired and need to sleep then thats how far you can drive. On my bi annual trips to Florida from Montreal i usually leave around 4pm and drive till lunch time the next day which usually gets me to the NC/SC border area where i get a motel (pedro's usually)and sleep till midnight then get up and do the last 10 hours to my destination in Florida, i doubt i could drive that far if i was dealing with daytime traffic through NYC,Balt.Wash,Richmond. And the daytime highspeed heavy traffic through the Carolinas and Georgia.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:43 AM

710 posts, read 2,944,431 times
Years ago I rode a motorcycle from Boston to Phoenix in three days. 1000 miles a day x 3

Drove a car the same distance in just a little less time. Mostly freeway so it was easy enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or