U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2015, 03:09 PM

9,467 posts, read 12,307,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
My wife wants to go visit the relatives for Christmas. She does not have a drivers license, so I would have to do all the driving. Airfare is sky high and so we are forced to drive.

The relatives live 480 miles from our house and she wants to start driving at dawn and attempt to make it all the way. She estimates if we average 60 miles per hour and stop for a hour and a half on the way to get gas, bathroom breaks and two meals, we can make it to Columbus Ohio in about 10 hours.

To me that is a long way to drive especially during the Christmas Weekend when there is a lot of traffic and possible bad weather and icy roads. I want to break the long trip up where we drive 5 hours each day and stay at a hotel after driving about 240 miles. She does not want to take so much time off work. We are at a stalemate.

Would you drive the ten hours on Christmas Eve and then stay for three nights and do the ten hour drive back four days later, or is that too much hassle? What would you do?
In the 1980's from San Francisco Bay CA all the way to Tulsa OK in at over 24 Hours........

When I was in the Military all the way from Tidewater Virginia area to the Long Beach/Los Angeles CA area without stopping for a motel or hotel ( 1978 ).......

Today 8 to 10 hours of hard driving then a MOTEL or HOTEL.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 06:06 PM

983 posts, read 1,355,793 times
"She" does not have a drivers license but wants "you" to drive all the way through. Since this episode was supposed to play out over Christmas it is a done deal by now. But I would tell anyone with out a drivers license that it is up to the driver when to stop.

My husband and I both drive and have done 1900 miles one way straight through, recently. But we switched off whenever we needed to and often the non-driver would catnap. It is not an ideal situation and we slept for 12 hours when we arrived at the destination. We are in our 50s and it was difficult, especially at night as our route had 2-lane blacktop for a long distance at high speeds in TX, and it was raining.

Our regular limit is 8-10 hours each (depending on weather, traffic, fatigue) then stop. So that gives us about 1000 miles per day. We make the most of gas stops (a "must" as we have a little dog that travels with us) so we get out and walk around, one of us staying near the car with the dog while the other uses facilities or buys some snacks. This is important especially during the night hours as we find fatigue happens faster in the dark as we age. During daylight hours we will often stop of a bit to eat around 4:30 and linger a bit to avoid the city traffic if that's an issue.

Seriously though, our ground rules are that the driver determines the drive time, route, speed, heat/ac, music (thank goodness for iPods and audio books for the non-driver!), and keeping track of when/where we need to fuel. The non-driver is in charge of providing access to snacks (open/hold snacks for driver, get things out of cooler), taking care of the dog, keeping the inside of the car organized and clean, always knowing where the blanket and pillow is located for the next non-driver.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:16 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,786,830 times
For me the most I've done in a day is 8-9 hours. I could maybe go 10 but no more than that. I get tired of driving now.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:29 PM

88 posts, read 68,116 times
The longest my parents drove without stopping, with the help of a friend was from Oklahoma City, OK to LA. That was more than 22 hours. I doubt I will ever drive that long without stopping for the night.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:41 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
Personally I frequently drove a little over 500 miles which took about took about 7 hours frequently to go to my hunting leases several times a year. I left ho at 4:00am to avoid traffic thru Houston. I use to drive every year to Florida and did about same distance to vacation. No problem at all really. Sometimes now I may travel same three days because of stops I want to make. When young I drove from texas to California little over 20 hours but of course we swapped out driving and sleeping.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:33 AM

583 posts, read 908,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
My wife wants to go visit the relatives for Christmas. She does not have a drivers license, so I would have to do all the driving. Airfare is sky high and so we are forced to drive.

The relatives live 480 miles from our house and she wants to start driving at dawn and attempt to make it all the way. She estimates if we average 60 miles per hour and stop for a hour and a half on the way to get gas, bathroom breaks and two meals, we can make it to Columbus Ohio in about 10 hours.

To me that is a long way to drive especially during the Christmas Weekend when there is a lot of traffic and possible bad weather and icy roads. I want to break the long trip up where we drive 5 hours each day and stay at a hotel after driving about 240 miles. She does not want to take so much time off work. We are at a stalemate.

Would you drive the ten hours on Christmas Eve and then stay for three nights and do the ten hour drive back four days later, or is that too much hassle? What would you do?
Would I?...Done it (for Thanksgiving).

Nowadays I drive from Dothan, Al to Miami, Fl to visit family....about a 10 hour drive. Mind you, I do stop at the rest areas for a restroom/water/snack break and to walk around some....by the time I get to parents house, my back is about crying for a break .

The longest I've driven was when in the military, drove from Cocoa Beach, Fl to the Mojave desert (Edwards AFB), Ca....something like 8 or 9 days...car trouble along the way.

Used to drive from San Antonio, Tx to Miami, Fl...would spend the night a hotel. Also, from Altus Ok, to San Antonio, Tx, spend a couple of days there and head back.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:28 PM

143 posts, read 129,667 times
I've driven from Tulsa to Albuquerque in one day, 650 miles, and it was awful! The last 2 hours killed me. Now, me and the hubs do it all the time and its no biggie. Even when we're together, he will usually do all the driving, but just having someone in the car to talk to makes a big difference.

I'll never do that long a drive alone.

We drove home from Gulf Shores , Alabama to Tulsa, Ok in one day. It was about 14 hours. 780 miles I believe.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:35 AM

26 posts, read 45,125 times
When moving out to Raleigh 4 years ago from my Illinois hometown just outside of St. Louis, I drove the 820 miles (13.5 hours) straight through and only stopped twice for gas. And did it on 2-3 hours of sleep. NEVER AGAIN. Just downright dangerous.

A little over a year and a half ago, drove 6 hours from Raleigh to Atlanta for a job interview and drove right back. I think it was something like 720 miles. Exhausting but worth it since I got the job

Old 03-30-2015, 07:47 PM

1,743 posts, read 959,136 times
Me and my girlfriend shared 11 hours in one day recently, (Denton, TX to Atlanta) and it was raining most of the time.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:24 AM

5 posts, read 4,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Ten hours is my limit. Growing up we used to make these long 15+ hour drives from Montana to Iowa and could only stop for gas. It led to lots of fights in the car. Humans are not meant to be in confined spaces together for that long. Ever since then I refuse to drive marathon distances like that.
Very true. I absolutely agree! The good thing is I'll be alone with nobody to fight with. My sister is about 10-10 1/2 hours and since I'm the only one who has never seen her house I was going to rest a day over there. Then I'll only have 6-7 hours left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or