U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 07:33 AM

25,669 posts, read 24,300,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I once got on I-90 in Minnesota and drove to Seattle. I wasn't in a particular hurry, so I would drive for 12 hours and then stop at a motel. I did take one little detour to Devil's Tower-I figured I'd never be out that way again.
I pretty much did almost the same. Left So-Calif, drove to NE Wisconsin, stopping only to sleep twice, at a hotel, for about 5 hours before hitting the road again (aside from stopping for fuel). I think I made it there in just over two days.. No, I didnt speed, just drove as long as my eyes would let me. Took me just 1 1/2 days to get to OK for a few days to see my sis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 08:55 AM

3,576 posts, read 1,774,127 times
Didn't that drive take you close to Mt Rushmore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I once got on I-90 in Minnesota and drove to Seattle. I wasn't in a particular hurry, so I would drive for 12 hours and then stop at a motel. I did take one little detour to Devil's Tower-I figured I'd never be out that way again.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:45 PM

483 posts, read 458,780 times
If its just me, I'll drive for 10ish hours max. If its me and my husband we will do 14hrs in a day.

If we have the dogs we try and do 10 but always ends up turning into 8 or so, since we have to stop often(one of them doesn't ride in cars well)

The only exception as when we moved back to Houston from living in Seattle. We drove 12-14hrs each day with the cars full and the dogs, still took us a week.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:20 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,162,187 times
Twice, I've driven 1200 miles by my self in my old Tacoma. Both times in less than 24hrs. It wasn't horrible. Many motorcyclists do the 1000 mile Iron Butt in 24 hours. I've had many motorcycles but would never try the Iron Butt.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:16 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,982,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
Would you drive the ten hours on Christmas Eve and then stay for three nights and do the ten hour drive back four days later, or is that too much hassle? What would you do?
I didn't read the numerous pages of posts, but based on what I read by the ones on the first page, it looks like i'm going to be the lone pariah with this one.

Same scenario here. I don't drive, so my husband does it all. But I do NOT encourage non-stop driving.

We frequently road-trip from Portland to California, but we always stop in Redding (app 7-1/2 hours or so driving time) for the night. I don't want him exhausted from being behind the wheel when we reach our destination.

It's particularly not wise to make someone drive non-stop in inclement weather. That's just stupid and very inconsiderate. In fact, I REFUSE to road-trip in those kind of road conditions because I don't want to spend hours and hours in the car, suffering anxiety because of slow traffic from ice. And if you DO encounter bad road conditions, you will stretch those estimated 10 hours to a LOT longer.

I can understand your wife protecting her use of vacation hours but I cannot support her reasoning with this one at all.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:18 AM

46 posts, read 58,151 times
The longest drive I've ever done, from Toronto to Charlottesville, 550 Miles, 9.5 Hours

Old 09-07-2015, 01:18 PM

915 posts, read 678,716 times
When I was younger, I drove from Oklahoma City to Cleveland (and back) many times...straight through. About 1060 miles. Took like 16 hours. I was young and had stamina. Lol. Now...2 hours seems a struggle.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:32 PM

988 posts, read 716,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
Would you drive the ten hours on Christmas Eve and then stay for three nights and do the ten hour drive back four days later, or is that too much hassle? What would you do?
I used to do 17 straight hours, alone, before cell phones. 7AM to midnight. No company but the radio.

10 hours is cake, barely a long working day. I'd do it no problem. I'd drive on Xmas day, though, to avoid traffic. Xmas Eve is probably pretty quiet, though.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:43 PM

6,446 posts, read 3,453,370 times
Longest drive for me was Daytona Beach, FL to Boston, MA - around 1,200 miles. It was in the 24 hour range. My plan was to get from Daytona to Washington DC in a day. My wife was really sick, and when I got off the exit to pull into the hotel near Washington, I just looked at her and thought it would be more difficult to drag her out of bed the next AM and better off just to get her home to her own bed. I was in my late 40's at the time.

Needless to say the last few hours were really rough.

I can fairly easily still drive 14 hours, albeit with several stops along the way.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 671 times
Longest I've ever driven non stop was 22 hours from Austin TX to Orlando FL. Left at 4PM and drove straight through and arrived the next day at 2PM, I only stopped 3 times
1. A Starbucks in Houston. (20 min)
2. A McDonalds somewhere in Mississippi (roughly 30 min)
3. An IHOP in Tallahassee. (45 min)
Then about 5 times for gas, which were roughly 5 min stops. The reason why this trip was 22 hours and not 17 (as it should be) was because I was going about 55-60 on the 70, I didn't want to push my car too much.

Second longest drive was (17 hours) 1K miles from Austin TX to Flagstaff AZ, left at 9PM and arrived at 2PM the next day. For this one I only stopped 3 times for gas
1. Lubbock, TX
2. Albuquerque, NM
3. Some small town in east AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or