U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 09:15 PM

7,755 posts, read 4,764,587 times

Advertisements

I see this thread's been revived.

I've driven coast-to-coast by myself several times. Many of those days were 500 mile plus days. When you drive alone there are things you can do to keep yourself alert that a passenger might object to.

Now the longest I will drive is four hours and it's sometimes hard for me to stay awake that long since DH hates music and won't let me play it in the car. We compromise with audio books but our current one ("The Leisure Seeker") unfortunately has a female narrator with a high nasal droning Midwestern accent. It puts me to sleep in minutes. I usually avoid audio books with female narrators but this one slipped past me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 10:35 AM

4,282 posts, read 2,535,860 times
Well, it's an 8 hour drive "home" for us. We do that a few times a year.

Right before Christmas I decided to buy a new car in Rockford, IL (325 miles) but then we drove my old car to my mom in NW Ohio (another 350). Were in town for about 12 hrs to sleep and visit and then back up to Upper Michigan (472 miles). It was a nice Lake Michigan circle tour.

I've driven from Upper Michigan to Helena, MT in two days (1,400 miles).

I've also driven from Helena, MT to Upper Michigan by myself with two toddlers in 23 hrs straight (1,400 miles.

I've driven from NW Ohio to Jacksonville, FL in about 12 hrs (930 miles).

My kids are awesome in the car.

To be fair, spending the past 12 years in either Montana or Upper Michigan kind of conditions one to be used to long car rides. EVERYTHING is far away. It's not a big deal to drive from Helena, MT to Missoula, MT (115 miles one way) to do a little shopping and turn around and drive home. Or now, from our house to Green Bay, WI (130 miles one way). In fact we did the single day trip to Green Bay three weeks ago.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:35 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,309,380 times
I just did 1000 miles (1004 to be picky) coming home from Brunswick, GA to Hartford, CT this past Monday, as a 1 man band. Left the motel at 9AM and got home at 1AM.

I'll admit.......that was pushing the safety limits with fatigue, and for the last 200 miles (3.5 hrs) I probably was JUST as impaired as I would have been driving locally with a blood alcohol level near the legal limit.

I would cap it at 800 miles, (or 13 hours) next time!

YMMV

Old 04-14-2016, 08:41 PM

3,668 posts, read 3,529,849 times
I have driven 650 miles in a day very easily. That too with U-Haul few times. It can be easily done. The key thing is to start early and have minimum stops-Few Gas Stations and Subway Sandwich maybe.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:14 AM

814 posts, read 939,425 times
Interestingly, the mentality of the drive itself makes a huge difference, to me. If the purpose of a drive is to get as far as possible as quickly as possible in kamikaze fashion, I find fatigue becomes a much bigger factor. If I'm just driving leisurely without a concrete endpoint (or maybe with an endpoint, but without extreme urgency to get there), I've found I really can drive just about forever.

For instance, on a trip a couple of summers ago I was starting in Green River, UT and had a hotel reservation in Reno that night, but I wasn't in any rush to get to Reno, so I left Green River at ~6:30 a.m., took the scenic route via U.S. 191/40/Emigration Canyon to poke around Salt Lake City for a bit, then hit I-80 west through the Bonneville Salt Flats before dropping down U.S. Alt-93 and 93 to do the U.S. 50 "loneliest road" all the way across Nevada. It was roughly an 800 mile drive and I didn't get to Reno until nearly 11 at night, but I never felt myself getting tired on the road. Whereas if I'd woken up later and told myself I HAD to be in Reno by dinnertime or something, and just did an all-Interstate grind, it'd have practically murdered me even though it'd have been significantly less mileage and taken hours shorter.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 554 times
I did a spontaneous trip from KC-NYC in April of this year. By spontaneous I mean decided only 20min prior of leaving! Ha! Had a few days off so why not. It was 3am and I hadn't slept since the night before. Drove 19 hours straight through. By the time I got to Newark I was literally dying, and I swear I began to hallucinate. I can push my body pretty far (driving wise) but that was intense. Luckily I got into Newark around 11pm so didn't have to deal with too much traffic. I can only imagine had I tried to find a hotel and everything during rush hour near Newark airport, I would have been in an accident for sure. Driving from KC-Tri Cities, WA in a week (1,675mi) 24hr drive, this time I'll be stopping half way at a nice Hotel lol be safe out there. Age-22

Old 09-07-2016, 09:14 AM

100 posts, read 65,538 times
I have a bad back and sitting in the car for too long really begins to hurt. But we go and visit my son and his family with is nearly 480 miles and I make that just fine. I stop frequently to stretch and we can still make it in about 8 hours, but that is almost 100% interstate travel too.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:07 AM

3,701 posts, read 1,881,012 times
9 hours. Fort Worth TX to Santa Fe.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:13 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,535,613 times
900 miles or 16 hours

Whichever comes first

Old 09-07-2016, 10:16 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,535,613 times
I just did an 870 mile trip over Memorial Day weekend,

(Ozarks of north Arkansas to central Minnesota)

Both ways drove it straight thru with just gas stops

At age 71, I might not be able to do this for too many more years, but.........so far,so good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or