U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times

Advertisements

I'd hit the road, (Wyonewk and I are from the same mold) 480 miles is only 1/2 tank of fuel for me in my Passat, I often drive a full tank w/o stopping; 18 hrs, (but I'm not 'normal')

I love a short 500 miler and did many across WY, CO, NE, SD in the winter. It can be exciting!! That said; I prefer driving nights, especially when traveling with a 'non-driver'. Get some iTunes, carmel popcorn, M&M's, oranges, and VERY little to drink. New belts, hoses, filters (especially FUEL filter), full tank of petrol + de-icer, and off you go.

Enjoy the trip.
If sleep gets to wearing you down, pull off and take a 10 minute nap. If you can't get to sleep... head back out on the road and roll down the window and hang your arm out till you think it has frozen solid.

Winter car gear. (reflectors, tow rope, chains, blanket, candles, water, granola, orange bicycle flag (in case you get into a drift))

I don't sleep well in motels, thus I drive 'straight thru' on trips under 2000 miles. I use 'guest homes' for long term traveling, ~$10 / night)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 05:43 AM

195 posts, read 212,864 times
It appears that so far many of the posters love long drives by car and a five hundred mile drive on Christmas Eve only to do it all over again four days later is nothing big to most posters.

I think it is a lot of driving over a five day period especially over the mountains of West Virginia and the traffic common over the highway. Now if it was five hundred miles driving through Kansas in areas with no hills, traffic, weather or curves, that would be a different matter.

But to me the drive from MD to Columbus Ohio is a long way for one day in December.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:49 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,449,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
It appears that so far many of the posters love long drives by car and a five hundred mile drive on Christmas Eve only to do it all over again four days later is nothing big to most posters.

I think it is a lot of driving over a five day period especially over the mountains of West Virginia and the traffic common over the highway. Now if it was five hundred miles driving through Kansas in areas with no hills, traffic, weather or curves, that would be a different matter.

But to me the drive from MD to Columbus Ohio is a long way for one day in December.
If it seems like too much for one day, then split it up. What I've done in the past is to leave one day after work, and drive as far as I'm able, stop to sleep, then drive the rest of the way the following day. That way, I don't have to take an extra day off work, and I still get where I want to be on time. I usually only do this for trips of about 1000 miles or more, but it could work on shorter ones just as easily.

Quote:
Would you drive the ten hours on Christmas Eve and then stay for three nights and do the ten hour drive back four days later, or is that too much hassle? What would you do?
In your position, I would probably leave the night before Christmas Eve, and drive somewhere around three to four hours (~150-200 miles), whatever you're comfortable with. Find a place to stay, then finish the drive the next day.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Do whatever you like, make a contingency plan for bad weather.

I was a 'caregiver' for many yrs, and parent decided that wanted to 'stay' in their normal place but visit family 4 hrs away during Christmas Day, and return home for night. That made for 16 hrs of solo driving on Christmas Day for me (run to pick them up, take them to family, take them back home, return to my family) Did that for several yrs (Easter and Thanksgiving also, often rough weather too). I like to drive, the rougher the weather and curvier the roads the better, helps keep me awake. Your tastes may vary,

Just plan the ideal trip for YOU.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:34 PM

4,474 posts, read 7,292,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Do whatever you like, make a contingency plan for bad weather.

I was a 'caregiver' for many yrs, and parent decided that wanted to 'stay' in their normal place but visit family 4 hrs away during Christmas Day, and return home for night. That made for 16 hrs of solo driving on Christmas Day for me (run to pick them up, take them to family, take them back home, return to my family) Did that for several yrs (Easter and Thanksgiving also, often rough weather too). I like to drive, the rougher the weather and curvier the roads the better, helps keep me awake. Your tastes may vary,

Just plan the ideal trip for YOU.
Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:19 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,666,896 times
Even at my advanced age (60), I still routinely drive 900-1100 miles per day when I travel. It's not really that hard; just keep the left door closed as much as possible. At modern freeways speeds, we're only talking about 14 hours or so.

The best I can remember ever doing (and I was well into my 50's then), was Santa Ana, CA to Dallas, TX in 22 hours. That's roughly 1450 miles and I took a nap along the way.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:06 PM

454 posts, read 1,244,234 times
Quote:
Would you drive the ten hours on Christmas Eve and then stay for three nights and do the ten hour drive back four days later, or is that too much hassle?
I would do that ONLY IF they were BOTH very pretty and waiting for me anxiously!!!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:16 PM

13,106 posts, read 24,892,675 times
Quote:

Hmmm well to my hubbie that would not be a problem ..for me it would because I hate hate hate long drives as the driver or passenger or combo. Being as your wife does not drive she should be open to what ever is comfortable for you the driver and if it means taking extra days so be it Have a safe trip

Old 12-21-2009, 12:49 PM

1,123 posts, read 4,806,104 times
Of course it is doable. However, I am reading between the lines here - and maybe Stranded and Lonely is not so crazy about the idea to begin with . My hubby has driven about 10 hours on road trips, but it was uncomfortable by the end.

Maybe you should consider delaying and traveling closer to New Years? Everyone is in a rush on Christmas Eve and I personally would not want to be on the road on that day. We have traveled 4 hrs on Christmas Day just to avoid that.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:12 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,934,660 times
There are 2 kinds of people with drivers licenses: those who are drivers and those who are not. I have always been a driver. I am way uncomfortable being a passenger and I prefer to drive. My husband is a "not a driver" even though he is an excellent driver and usually requested to be the one driving, whether it was back in his Army EOD days or now for work trips. Stress level counts for a lot - "not a drivers" have a much higher stress from driving and need to do shorter trips. "Not a drivers" who drive long stretches, are more exhausted and cranky than a driver would be and also start to make stupid mistakes.

Back when I was younger, I would not have hesitated to do a 10-14 hour trip. Now I just can't. Well, I can't AND be able to enjoy myself the next day. The bones are older, muscles less forgiving, and night time driving slows me way down. We recently drove from NYC to Wisconsin. It was a long long drive, compounded by only a one day stay-over and then the return trip. It sucked and we will not do it again. I am glad I had a long time to recover at home (I'm retired). (My husband fills in when I need a rest, but neither he nor I am comfortable with him driving so it doesn't give me that much of a break.

So, it sounds as though the OP is a "not a driver" but is the only family driver AND he wishes to not be a total wreck when he returns home. My suggestion: Start out in the afternoon, and knock off 3-4 hours of driving, then stop for the night (as one poster suggested). We now plan for a stop that includes a hotel with a "spa" and pool. It feels so good on the bones and muscles and leads to a better night's sleep. An early start before the idjits hit the road and then breakfast after an hour or two is a great way to break it all up and make for a relaxed, enjoyable holiday for ALL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or