U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:38 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,213,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
It appears that so far many of the posters love long drives by car and a five hundred mile drive on Christmas Eve only to do it all over again four days later is nothing big to most posters.

I think it is a lot of driving over a five day period especially over the mountains of West Virginia and the traffic common over the highway. Now if it was five hundred miles driving through Kansas in areas with no hills, traffic, weather or curves, that would be a different matter.

But to me the drive from MD to Columbus Ohio is a long way for one day in December.
Well then what'd you ask us for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 07:42 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,561,819 times
The longest i have driven in one day was 15 hours. But for only a 3 day stay thats quite a way to drive. I only do the 10+ hour drive if i'm going to stay somewhere for a week, and also during that time and location, you may get some bad roadways which would suck majorly and could turn a 10 hour drive into twice that really quick.

G Man

Old 12-23-2009, 11:17 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,351,483 times
I always liked the bumper sticker that reads: DRIVE LIKE H*LL, YOU'LL GET THERE!

Old 12-23-2009, 02:47 PM

375 posts, read 840,995 times
I drove from washington,dc to miami with only stops for gas, and fast food. i did it with a trailer and took about 16-17 hours!!!! Bring sodas!!

Old 12-23-2009, 04:52 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,523,477 times
I love this thread! I used to drive from NY to SC (12 hours),driving 4 hours straight. Now the most I can do is 3 hrs at a time without stopping to a least stretch my legs.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:19 PM

34 posts, read 67,527 times
Have you looked into rail or bus fares?

Old 12-23-2009, 06:10 PM

3,752 posts, read 7,486,978 times
if she's not driving - she is just a passenger. You select the times to stop.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:14 PM

10,736 posts, read 31,792,495 times
If its just myself and my daughter then I prefer to only drive during the daytime however I can drive 10-12 hours safely. If I have a third person with me to make sure I am not falling asleep or another person to add safety, I might drive at night or MORE then 10-12 hours.
My problem is that with my back problems, I have to get out and move around frequently AND if I sit too long my feet swell because of my asthma. Last time I drove from Texas where my family is to where I live in Texas, I thought the swelling in my feet would NEVER go down. I sat in a tub, I was in alot of pain.

I don't care for long haul driving.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:56 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,334,945 times
I drove from New York to Arizona in 3 days. Day 1 we left at around 6am EST and made it into Illinois by around 7pm. Day 2, we drove from Illinois to Clinton OK and Day 3 we drove from Clinton to Sedona AZ.

Personally, I find highway driving once you get past the Delaware Water Gap to be very easy and not at all tiring. So, I am usually comfortable driving 12-14 hour stretches with breaks at gas stops. Obviously, conditions are important and driving in constant rain or in snow is going to reduce the length of time you can drive.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:05 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,364,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
My wife wants to go visit the relatives for Christmas. She does not have a drivers license, so I would have to do all the driving. Airfare is sky high and so we are forced to drive.

The relatives live 480 miles from our house and she wants to start driving at dawn and attempt to make it all the way. She estimates if we average 60 miles per hour and stop for a hour and a half on the way to get gas, bathroom breaks and two meals, we can make it to Columbus Ohio in about 10 hours.

To me that is a long way to drive especially during the Christmas Weekend when there is a lot of traffic and possible bad weather and icy roads. I want to break the long trip up where we drive 5 hours each day and stay at a hotel after driving about 240 miles. She does not want to take so much time off work. We are at a stalemate.

Would you drive the ten hours on Christmas Eve and then stay for three nights and do the ten hour drive back four days later, or is that too much hassle? What would you do?
I drive a maximum of 350 miles *or* 8 hours whichever comes first. It's bad enough being cooped up in a car and not being to move around normally or eat or go to the bathroom whenever you want to. I would plan on taking two days and stop at a motel. That way you will arrive refreshed and in a good mood instead of bagged out and grumpy from the trip.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or