U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 12:42 AM

4,475 posts, read 7,299,646 times

Advertisements

For those that have noticed, I have already created a similar post but it was in reference to Quebec. I will also be visiting Maine on this trip in early February and would love any advice on where to visit and what to do while I'm there. Especially places like Kennebunkport, Portland and Augusta.

Basically, any help I can get regarding where to eat (I'd love to eat some good Maine lobster while I'm there!), what to see (as far as a brief history of a town), scenic areas (I'd love to see the rocky coast and a lighthouse, but also wanting to see some nice, quaint downtowns), nightlife/bars and things of that sort. (Pretty much what I'm looking for in my Quebec post as well, just thought I should make this one separate)

Also, would U.S. 201 be okay to drive during February to get to Quebec? I Googled it and am aware it is a within a sparsely populated area of Maine and is two-laned for most, if not all the way.

I appreciate any help I can get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 12:34 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,160,992 times
I have to mention my favorite in Kennebunkport, Windows on the Water. Best losbter bisque I have ever had anywhere, with a fun/crazy waitstaff that I wanted to take home.

I'm afraid that you are going to run into a lot of places closed for the season, but I have no clue if this restaurant is included in that. Their number is 207 967-3313.

Honorable mention goes to Barnacle Billy's in Perkins Cove (Ogonquit), and the Old Ferry Landing in Portsmouth, NH. Both of which ARE closed for the season, sadly. But if you are ever up there after April, do yourself a favor and check them both out. Outstanding lobster and every other type of seafood at all of these places.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:42 PM

Thanks John. I'm going to look in to Windows on the Water. I'd love to try that lobster bisque!

Old 12-20-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Thanks John. I'm going to look in to Windows on the Water. I'd love to try that lobster bisque!
You are so welcome - I just hope they're open for your visit.

Useless trivia - Babs (Barbara Bush) lunches here almost daily during the summer. The staff told us she's a riot, and likes her martinis very much!

Old 12-20-2009, 12:49 PM

One other thing I forgot to mention. Get ready to be blown away by how much the locals take lobster for granted. I'm talking even McDonald's has lobster rolls on their menu (great hoagie-style sandwich with lobster salad).

They think of lobster like we think of tuna!

Old 12-20-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
One other thing I forgot to mention. Get ready to be blown away by how much the locals take lobster for granted. I'm talking even McDonald's has lobster rolls on their menu (great hoagie-style sandwich with lobster salad).

Wow, that's hilarious!!

Old 12-23-2009, 05:15 PM

Anyone else have any suggestions as to what I can do in Maine?

Old 12-23-2009, 06:45 PM

8,516 posts, read 3,955,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

But do NOT order the "McLobster" at McDonalds. I repeat and cannot stress enough, do not order this item. Better to go to just about any local place for lobster.

Did you post any of this on the Maine forum? They are pretty helpful there.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
But do NOT order the "McLobster" at McDonalds. I repeat and cannot stress enough, do not order this item. Better to go to just about any local place for lobster.

Thanks for the advice on McLobster. No worries there. I've been successfully "boycotting" McDonalds since the 8th of March 2006.

I'll have to try posting in the Maine forum as I haven't done that yet.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post

Oh, I would never actually EAT one. I was just attempting to show how much lobster is a part of the culture.

I do like lobster rolls, however. From a little local place, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel