U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 09:05 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,904,018 times

Advertisements

Not really sure where to post as it isnt fashion and beauty more warmth and comfort!

We will be traveling to NYC during the coldest time of year. We are not cold weather people and own no cold weather clothing. However we will be tourists and want to dress warm to enjoy the sites.

Not sure what to buy to keep warm and do not want to spend a lot of money as this is a one time trip.

Have been searching and the only thing we really find is not to wear cotton against the skin.

With that said, can you share your warm weather dressing tips for a cold trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 10:18 AM

13,161 posts, read 20,780,088 times
Not dressing warmly enough can ruin a trip. Make sure you have hats and gloves. Layers work well. You can get lightweight long underwear which is easy to pack and adds warmth without bulk. If you don't want to spend a lot on warm coats, look for something with zip-out linings that you can use in several different climates.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:56 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,251,423 times
I was just in NYC last weekend and it was very damp. In order to enjoy your trip, you need to dress appropriately. Make sure that you have a hat that covers your ears or ear muffs; gloves or mittens; and a coat that covers you up. A short jacket isn't enough. It's supposed to be in the 40s next weekend, but you never know about wind. Zip-out linings are very handy if you don't have a heavier coat. A scarf or even a turtle-neck sweater might be necessary. Wear comfortable shoes because you will do a lot of walking. Socks, too. Fashion is not the issue in cold weather. For our trip, I wore nice velour pants, a pullover sweater and a cardigan, along with a wool car coat. I was very comfortable. Have a great time.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:23 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,904,018 times
Thank you! I keep hearing "comfortable shoes" but what does that mean? Tennis shoes? I dont know what kind to purchase.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:35 PM

8,897 posts, read 13,651,876 times
I never heard of not wearing cotton against skin. While it's important to keep warm, don't mistake NY for the artic, average highs are usually above freezing temps. You mainly just need to layer your clothes, get a thick, long coat and wear a hat, scarf and gloves (and thick socks). I wouldn't really worry things like wearing cotton on skin.

Comfortable shoes just means something you know you can walk in for hours without getting sore feet. If that means sneakers/tennis shoes to you, then wear those.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:36 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,251,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Thank you! I keep hearing "comfortable shoes" but what does that mean? Tennis shoes? I dont know what kind to purchase.
My friend wore black sneakers (we were at Radio City) and I wore my Clark's slides. You need shoes that are comfortable to walk in. NYC is a walking city.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:09 PM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
I suggest getting/wearing leather boots with low heels (that are comfortable for walking). Leather boots can also been used in cooler climates. Wear knee-high socks under the boots.
I find that cordoroy pants are good in the cold weather. In NYC, you will also need a long coat (even if it is lightweight you can dress in layers underneath). A warm wool hat, a scarf and gloves are necessary as well.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:53 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,039,367 times
I agree that for cold possibly damp conditions, cotton is not a good idea. It absorbs moisture and does not dry quickly. This can chill you quickly. I always layer a stretchy synthetic shirt then a synthetic fleece or polar-tec pullover then a coat, leather or wool. Don't wear a fake leather coat (pleather)- they do not breathe and the moisture from your skin will accumulate and make you feel clammy. Remember some thick socks to keep your feet warm! Also, those chemical hand warmers that hunters use come in very handy- I put one under my hat once on the base of my skull and it helped warm my whole back!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:23 PM

821 posts, read 1,799,589 times
silk long johns are my life saver, they are thin and warm
also wool socks
hat and gloves like everyone else said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or