U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:24 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,450,774 times

Advertisements

We're not hotel snobs, so we use Priceline for all our hotels. We got all our hotels in Europe through Priceline at very low rates. In some countries, we opted to rent apartments instead, since that's actually more common than renting a hotel room and a lot cheaper. You might want to look into that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 01:02 AM

233 posts, read 656,729 times
I have been to over 25 countries in Europe and have always used Hostels & Youth Hostels Worldwide - Online Bookings to book hostels. This website not only includes hostels but guesthouses and budget hotels and budget apartments.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:20 AM

3,567 posts, read 4,014,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
City hotels in Europe are expensive and have been for at least 25 years......shouldn't come as a shock to someone who's been all over the continent

....and now, off to the Travel forum.
I usually don't pay myself. However, I thought I would get it for less than 180 per night.

Thanks everyone for the input. Like I said, Priceline didn't work for me. They wouldn't even let me bid. Was the first time that I used Priceline for Europe. Maybe it's better for last minute deals? I booked it like 2 months before I was leaving.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:42 AM

12,881 posts, read 14,172,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
...Paid 180 per night here in Paris. Staying near the Opera, so it's a good/central location. ....
It's not clear to me if you are talking euros or dollars.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:22 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,944,104 times
When in a foreign country for a week or so, I book at a reasonable chain that I know for one or two nights. Then I check locally for smaller rooms or B&Bs in the area. I show up in person and ask what a 4 or 5 day rate would be...and am willing to pay cash. Quite often I reduce my rate by half. Gives the Innkeeper an idea of what type of person he is renting too. (I'm relatively clean cut and not a smoker-hippie type).

Old 12-22-2009, 06:25 AM

3,567 posts, read 4,014,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
It's not clear to me if you are talking euros or dollars.

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that. It's 180 Dollars.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:57 AM

12,881 posts, read 14,172,824 times
My primary critereon is to be staying close to the most things that I want to see, and with public transportation to farther away parts of a city very nearby.

I live in Europe so I'm used to spending euros, but I looked at some of the places I've stayed and converted the prices to USD.

Four stars seems to be my usual level, only once in a five-star that I am aware of - however, I usually search by address and map, and then check to see what class the most appealing hotels are. In larger cities I have usually paid around 90 euros or 129 USD by today's rate.

However, I have often stayed in places that turned out to be three-star, paid less, and cannot recall ever having a horrible experience in the last ten years. In smaller towns, of course, the places I stay in get three or two stars routinely and are cheaper than 90 euros.

I have paid 100 - 120 euros (140 - 170 USD), but that is not by choice and very rare. And though I can afford those prices, I think it is a total waste of money to pay that for a hotel room...perhaps at a resort, but not for a short-term city stay. I have no problem with small rooms, though I am not happy about closet-size bathrooms. I do want a breakfast-included rate.

I look through Lonely Planet books, and Eyewitness guides (which I like), and then net sites, like Trip Advisor. I pay the most attention to reviews by Dutch and German guests because I have found them to be the most practical and realistic - which is to say their reviews sound like my reactions to the same places. I tend to find Brits are often entirely too picky and eager to find fault with the smallest thing, and I frequently find myself in disagreement with their reviews of places I have stayed in. After location, my considerations are based on remarks about cleanliness and noise level, and I want a private bathroom.

With these criteria I have run the gamut from the Mondial in Lisbon (modern hotel, some rooms super new and others a bit shopworn) to the Fehmi Bey in Istanbul (teensie-weensie room, zero decor except for carpet, very limited but adequate service, but I could walk to the Hippodrome in 60 seconds and have time to buy a candy bar on the way.)

My most recent experience in the U.S. was somewhat over a hundred bucks a night in a Marriot with everything super spiffy and a big room, but packed with so much furniture that it was hard to navigate around. And a hotel in Albuquerque, NM for around 90 bucks, maybe less - contrary to its web site, it was totally shopworn from top to bottom, buffet breakfast was an atrocity worthy of a war crimes trial and the modest size room was crammed with furniture so that I had to walk sideways around, but only two lights so it was dark as a crypt unless I wanted the ceiling light on.

So, I guess that hotel rooms are bigger in the U.S. (though to what purpose if they are furnished in the style of an attic) and decidedly cheaper. I'd say that in Europe affordable travel with conventinet location means 4-star hotels or less, and being satisfied with smaller rooms (but in my experience the same amount of usable space), and in many cases very unfancy public areas....varying from quaint to tatty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or