U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2009, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Houston
3,567 posts, read 3,998,325 times
Reputation: 931

Advertisements

I've been pretty much everywhere in Europe. However, lately I've been wanting to travel again. Currently in Paris, then I'm in Germany. I would love to travel more, but the prices for the Hotel are just amazingly high
Where do you usually stay? Normally, I go with 4 star Hotels. You never know what you're getting, so I want to be on the safe side. I realize that 4 stars is one of the better categories. Paid 180 per night here in Paris. Staying near the Opera, so it's a good/central location. That is on top of the flight ( maybe 600 if you're lucky like in this economy + other expenses). That easily amounts to 2k per trip.
Any ideas how one can cut back on the expenses? A start would probably getting a 1/2 star place, but I've had bad experiences with those in the past.

Last edited by XodoX; 12-20-2009 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2009, 11:36 AM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
37,949 posts, read 55,708,171 times
Reputation: 89605
I usually stay in Accor hotel. This is a huge chain and you can find them in every bigger city in most parts of the world.
Book a hotel online with Accor Hotels
I don't really care about the luxury, just need to have clean safe hotel to sleep in. I don't spend much time in the hotel either - come in late evening, and get out early in the morning
Most of the hotels have meals option, and I usually book it with breakfast.
I remember one time I had a last minute emergency trip and stayed in ETAP in Berlin. This was truly no frills hotel, kinda IKEA style, but this was my only choice ( Berlin was booked out for Convention).
Located a bit outside the city, but close to major Autobahn, the hotel was clean, safe and quiet.
One great ( for me) option was that from the computer located in the lobby, you can make reservation in any other Accor hotel anywhere in Europe. Location is not a problem for me, because I always rent a car when traveling overseas. You get special deals and many discount offers if you subscribe to their email.
http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/partenaires/accueil.shtml check partner advantages

Last edited by elnina; 12-20-2009 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Houston
3,567 posts, read 3,998,325 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I usually stay in Accor hotel. This is a huge chain and you can find them in every bigger city in most parts of the world.
Book a hotel online with Accor Hotels
I don't really care about the luxury, just need to have clean safe hotel to sleep in. I don't spend much time in the hotel either - come in late evening, and get out early in the morning
Most of the hotels have meals option, and I usually book it with breakfast.
I remember one time I had a last minute emergency trip and stayed in ETAP in Berlin. This was truly no frills hotel, kinda IKEA style, but this was my only choice ( Berlin was booked out for Convention).
Located a bit outside the city, but close to major Autobahn, the hotel was clean, safe and quiet.
One great ( for me) option was that from the computer located in the lobby, you can make reservation in any other Accor hotel anywhere in Europe. Location is not a problem for me, because I always rent a car when traveling overseas. You get special deals and many discount offers if you subscribe to their email.
Accor Hotels: reductions with our partners check partner advantages
Thanks. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but when I check ( like Paris) it's even more than 180.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 12:04 PM
 
Location: on an island
13,382 posts, read 40,909,074 times
Reputation: 13245
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Any ideas how one can cut back on the expenses? A start would probably getting a 1/2 star place, but I've had bad experiences with those in the past.
This thread might be headed to the travel forum.

Anyway, lots of people use Tripadvisor and it can be helpful.
Then there is Priceline. I used it successfully for a trip to San Francisco.
I've stayed at friends'/relatives' places here and there.
Then there is:
Couchsurf
Eurocheapo

We stayed at the Hotel Riviera (2-star, Champs Elysees) last spring.
It worked out well for us. Another time we stayed at the (Montmarte)Village Hostel, which had a terrible (free) breakfast but a spotless room and bathroom.
Sometimes hostels are cleaner and nicer than 1-2-star hotels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 12:32 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
37,949 posts, read 55,708,171 times
Reputation: 89605
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Thanks. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but when I check ( like Paris) it's even more than 180.
I know, hotels in Europe are WAY overpriced !!! Booking the right one is my main dilemma when traveling overseas

Maybe you should check the bit cheaper hotels in this chain ( cheaper means sometimes not a central location)
There are 51 Accor hotels in Paris
Accorhotels


Here is a list of the brands, from $$$$$ to $

Sofitel, Lucien Barriere, Pullman, MGallery, Novotel, Mercure, Orbis, Suitehotel, Adagio, Coralia, All Seasons, Ibis, Etap, Formule 1, Motel 6, Studio 6, Club Med.

Accorhotels.com – Discover all our hotels -*Book on-line

Or check this:
Cheap hotels in Paris | Cheap Paris hotel reviews (Peletier Haussmann??)
click on the map and see the best choices for the location

Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Houston
3,567 posts, read 3,998,325 times
Reputation: 931
Thanks. I'll look through it. However, Priceline dosen't work. I wasn't able to get a cheaper deal. I think they just can't negotiate with foreign Hotels. I usually save about 50% in the U.S. This time I did not. It's not Paris in particular. I'd like go visit Rome and Madrid again. But seeing those prices, I start to doubt I'll be able to do it soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 08:22 PM
 
4,285 posts, read 14,421,440 times
Reputation: 3867
City hotels in Europe are expensive and have been for at least 25 years......shouldn't come as a shock to someone who's been all over the continent

....and now, off to the Travel forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 08:28 PM
 
14,255 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Reputation: 20038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
City hotels in Europe are expensive and have been for at least 25 years......shouldn't come as a shock to someone who's been all over the continent

....and now, off to the Travel forum.
And don't discount the recent weakness in the US dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 08:34 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,345,392 times
Reputation: 22356
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
I've been pretty much everywhere in Europe. However, lately I've been wanting to travel again. Currently in Paris, then I'm in Germany. I would love to travel more, but the prices for the Hotel are just amazingly high
Where do you usually stay? Normally, I go with 4 star Hotels. You never know what you're getting, so I want to be on the safe side. I realize that 4 stars is one of the better categories. Paid 180 per night here in Paris. Staying near the Opera, so it's a good/central location. That is on top of the flight ( maybe 600 if you're lucky like in this economy + other expenses). That easily amounts to 2k per trip.
Any ideas how one can cut back on the expenses? A start would probably getting a 1/2 star place, but I've had bad experiences with those in the past.
No world traveler here. But I would think that in Europe there is something the equivalent of a bed and breakfast. I would see if I could find private homes that rent out rooms or boarding houses, something like that.

Not only would you save money, but you would get a taste of what culture was truly about.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 09:39 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Reputation: 23634
The 'private' guest home directories I use are full of places in Europe ~$10-$20 / night, the experiences have been great, I've used them for over 20 yrs. If you are over age 50 you can use 'Affordable Travel', it seems to have good foreign listings. I have used a church based one and a homeschool directory while overseas and the knowledge and assistance I gained from my hosts were of treasured benefit. The kids learned a lot too (on 6-12 week field trips, where they did all the planning, food shopping, and currency exchanges (pre-euro by 2 months)).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top