Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:31 PM

791 posts, read 1,813,965 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's the shcoop...I'd like to enlist the help of my fellow C-D'ers. With all that wisdom & experience out there waiting to be tapped into, I was hoping you'd share some with me.

Hubby & I have sold our house, and, along with our dog, are hittin' the road for Missouri!!! (Look out....here we come, ready or not) Not sure where we'll eventually end up, but for now, we're headin' for the northern part...somewhere between Kansas City & Hannibal.

Here's the thing...I am OBSESSED with making sure we pack EVERYTHING we might think of possibly needing into the car for our 1900+ mile trip. I'm driving my husband crazy , and wanted to see if anyone could add to my list of 'Must Haves' for the trip. I'll tell you what's already on the list, and you can just jump right in with any additions or suggestions, or comments. Please be kind...this is the first time I'll have ever moved out of state, and I am terrified that I'll forget or miss something. (Can we say..Detail Oriented???? Or should that be Psychotic??? LOL)

List as of now:
Flashlight, Maps, Trip Tiks from AAA, Cell Phone, Cell Phone Charger, Digital Camera, Handi-Wipes, Paper Towels, Tarp, Rope, Baggies, Duct Tape (my idea), Shot Records For Dog, Rain-X, Blankets, Pillows, Dog's Pillow, Garbage Bags, Sunglasses, Reading Glasses, Extra Clothes, Toiletries, Vitamin Supplements, Dog Food, Water Bowl, Dog Leash & Harness, Important Phone #s & Addresses, Jackets, And last but not least....Back Up Discs For Computer.

Well, there ya have it....what am I forgetting??? Don't be shy to contribute...nothing is too small or too big to be considered. Thanks Ya'll! Or is that...All Ya'll??? (I can never get that straight. hehehehe But what'd you expect from a CA Girl?)

And remember...your help just might save my marriage... Cuz without it, my husband might accidentally leave me at the gas station in Tulsa if I don't shut up about what I think I forgot. LOL (jk)

Certifiably Yours,
Boof
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 05:43 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,681,767 times
I always have a bottle of windshield cleaner, anti-freeze, motor oil, and some tools, but your DH may have already packed these items.

The duct tape is great for a temp patch on a water hose.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:52 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,052,832 times
I am still on the road, and I believe what with more than a dozen and a half stops, a car breakdown and a longish sojourn of five weeks in one City, I think I'd add:

wooden matches
water
thermos
wet or dry food container (for snacks), plus cold packs
rain gear (raincoat, and umbrella)
extension cord for computer and cell phone recharger (I really used this)
sunscreen, bug repellent, aspirin product
one roll of toilet paper
one warm sweater/jacket (I've run into 3 different temperature zones)
something "good" to read

Have a great trip! I've made it 4500 miles and have 100 miles to go!

Old 05-20-2007, 09:06 PM

Thumbs up Great Ideas!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru
I always have a bottle of windshield cleaner, anti-freeze, motor oil, and some tools, but your DH may have already packed these items.

The duct tape is great for a temp patch on a water hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I am still on the road, and I believe what with more than a dozen and a half stops, a car breakdown and a longish sojourn of five weeks in one City, I think I'd add:

wooden matches
water
thermos
wet or dry food container (for snacks), plus cold packs
rain gear (raincoat, and umbrella)
extension cord for computer and cell phone recharger (I really used this)
sunscreen, bug repellent, aspirin product
one roll of toilet paper
one warm sweater/jacket (I've run into 3 different temperature zones)
something "good" to read

Have a great trip! I've made it 4500 miles and have 100 miles to go!

Thanks for the great input!!! A lot of those things, IE: Wooden Matches, Motor Oil, Extension Cord, etc...I didn't think of. I think we have most of that here, and won't have to buy it...which is more good news.

As for the Duct Tape...my dad was in HVAC, and so we always had Duct Tape around. My brothers used to tape the souls of their motorcycle boots with it. So, I've seen how it can be a handy thing to have. Besides, remember what Tim Allen says...'If you can't fix it, Duck It. If you can't Duck It, **** It.' LOL Profound words indeed...hehehehe

I can't help but ask, 'OnTheRoad'...how did you log so many miles??? And what prompted you to stop shy of your destination by only 100 miles??? If you don't mind my asking. Good luck to you on the rest of your trip. God's speed to you.

Thanks again for the insightful ideas.

Feeling better already,
Boof

Old 05-20-2007, 09:16 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,507,903 times
Dont forget Cash in case you break down or at least a credit card. Bottled water is always good to have. I live in Missouri. The closer you get, the more willing people generally are to help you when your in a pinch! Its pretty friendly out here. Good Luck!

Old 05-20-2007, 09:31 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,052,832 times
Well, Boof, I left Taos, NM on March 5, I believe; lost my transmission in Okla City, and then moved eastward. Stopped many places along the road; pitted at Pittsburgh and clocked in about 3000 miles. Then went NorthEast and have made it to Bath, ME. Detours occasionally; visited some friends, took a few side trips and sometimes I just got plum lost.

I was just too tuckered out to keep going today! Last stop, Belfast.

Travel well, safely and with joy! America is one heckava town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boof View Post
Thanks for the great input!!! A lot of those things, IE: Wooden Matches, Motor Oil, Extension Cord, etc...I didn't think of. I think we have most of that here, and won't have to buy it...which is more good news.

As for the Duct Tape...my dad was in HVAC, and so we always had Duct Tape around. My brothers used to tape the souls of their motorcycle boots with it. So, I've seen how it can be a handy thing to have. Besides, remember what Tim Allen says...'If you can't fix it, Duck It. If you can't Duck It, **** It.' LOL Profound words indeed...hehehehe

I can't help but ask, 'OnTheRoad'...how did you log so many miles??? And what prompted you to stop shy of your destination by only 100 miles??? If you don't mind my asking. Good luck to you on the rest of your trip. God's speed to you.

Thanks again for the insightful ideas.

Feeling better already,
Boof

Old 05-20-2007, 10:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,502,153 times
I didn't see a first aid kit!

Power bars for a pick me up after too many hours driving.

If you're staying at hotels/motels on the way buy a lock that installs on the door. We have one that clips into the door latch area and has a crossbar that pushes on the door. A ratcheted lock then snugs up against it. Got these originally for my wife when she had to go on the road and just kept using them

A pocket siren. Don't know what else to call it. Small, fits in a pocket or purse, is battery powered and makes a God-awful racket when you pull a pin out. Designed for emergencies. We like them in winter in case we go off the road. Pull that plug and someones will hear it! It will also get attention anywhere you require it.

Panty hose will sub for a fan belt in a pinch...

Old 05-20-2007, 10:52 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,913,388 times
Insurance cards. A cooler. Have a great trip!

Old 05-21-2007, 09:16 AM

Thumbs up Wow, This Is Great!!!

Hi Gang,

Thank you all so much for coming to our aid with so many suggestions. It appears that even with all the thinking we did, we still hadn't thought of everything. That's why 2 heads are better than one, and 20 heads are even better than that.

Cash is a great idea...especially if getting gas and their ATM/Credit Card machine is down. And in some small towns, they might not even have one.

I like the idea of that Pocket Siren too. NEVER would have thought of that one. We'll have to see what we can find. But Tek-Freek, why would we need the extra locks at a Hotel??? (Can you tell I'm not a *seasoned* traveler?) hehehe

OnTheRoad, it sounds like you took the scenic tour of the US. That's great. Well, except for the Tranny problems...but maybe something good came of that??? We don't always know why God takes us where he does. Hopefully great things are waiting for you in Belfast.

Thanks a million to you all for your contributions. We are looking forward to this little trek. Even though it will be a little scary, we're embarking on a new chapter of our lives, and that's exciting. I've always wanted to travel Route 66, and can't wait to take pictures of the sights.

We had the car all checked out several months ago...New Tires, Battery, Belts, etc...and we'll take her back in for last minute maintenance. So, hopefully we'll be ok. We've always got AAA if need be.

Well, gotta go add these things to the list.....Take care everyone!!!

Gratefully Yours,
Boof

Old 05-21-2007, 10:40 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,427 times
What about a 'chip clip' to keep the bags of snacks you buy along the way closed. (I'd leave the RainX behind and just squirt it good once before you leave.)
Oh yeah, a couple more things: chapstick and a pen and notepad and address book and maybe some postage stamps in case you want to send someone a postcard along the way.
Something else that you might already know-When I drive over the Rockies in Colorado, the elevation change pops stuff so be prepared for exploding chip bags, soda cans, and toothpaste (I put the tube inside of a baggie).
Have a safe and fun adventure!

Last edited by seashelly; 05-21-2007 at 10:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel