U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 11:46 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,905,041 times

Advertisements

I dont think everyone is out to get me, except I did get pick pocketed once and that was a pain.
What I am unsure of is passing through airport security and having money in my purse, my purse on the belt, and someone having the opportunity to steal it.
I get so nervous going through security that I am not sure what I can keep on my person without being singled out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 12:51 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,917,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We rode this bus repeatedly and had to laugh at all the tourists and the fear they had in their faces, clutching their belongings as close as they could. This has become such a internet topic, that you are more likely to not be robbed on the 64 because you will be scared for your life and are more likely to pay attention to your belongings. Then, when you get on a different bus with a different number, you'll be robbed because you let your guard down. The 64 felt no different than any other public transportation I've been on, whethere in NYC, Paris, or Rome. Common sense prevails each time. I guess since I lived outside of NYC and riding the subway was a regular thing, I didn't develop this fear that everyone is out to get me.
And for all those that use neck pouches....do you really think the thiefs haven't caught on? I mean, every other American tourist has a bulge in their shirt with a rope around their neck. Cutting it is very easy. Instead, pay more attention to your surroundings, stop trying to think people are out to get you, and enjoy your vacation.
How nice for you that you are such a savvy traveler and experienced public transportation expert. I know you grew up in Europe.

Nobody stole anything from me on the #64 bus, nor even tried to.
It was 1978, I was a 21 year old blonde bimbo from Colorado, and this was my third trip out of the USA--I was an enthusiastic, but not seasoned backpacker.
A man was standing behind me, very close, with a hard-on. That kind of put a damper on my bus ride.

It was indeed another bus where someone tried to steal from me--a dwarf.
I yelled at her and the other passengers on the bus scolded her off.

As for the neck pouch, it has a metal rope to it, but that's not why I use it.
I like having my passport and credit card around my neck. Do I use it every second of the day--no.
Knock on wood: I've never had a single item stolen from me in 39 years of overseas travel. As you say, awareness and common sense are the best security strategies, but a little extra help never hurt.
A friend lost a camera in Barcelona; it had been right next to him, and he quit paying attention to it for just a second. I don't need that happening to my passport and credit card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
I dont think everyone is out to get me, except I did get pick pocketed once and that was a pain.
What I am unsure of is passing through airport security and having money in my purse, my purse on the belt, and someone having the opportunity to steal it.
I get so nervous going through security that I am not sure what I can keep on my person without being singled out.
I don't like that scenario, either. Theft does happen in airport security--it happened to another friend of mine at Heathrow, and a relative at the train station in Switzerland.
The thieves successfully used distraction.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:00 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,413,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
It was 1978, I was a 21 year old blonde bimbo from Colorado, and this was my third trip out of the USA--I was an enthusiastic, but not seasoned backpacker.
A man was standing behind me, very close, with a hard-on. That kind of put a damper on my bus ride.
It was 2004, Halloween night. I was on my way home to Jersey from the Halloween parade in NYC. A man, on the PATH going towards Hoboken not only had a hard on pressed againtst me, he exposed himself to me in a packed car. The car was beyond full, given that most were on their way home from the parties. I guess I'm just not bothered by it and while it's disturbing, can't say it put a damper on my ride. I'm sure he's still out there, doing the same thing and looking for a particular reaction, which he did not get out of me.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
My mom's friend recently got robbed on a trip to Poland. He was on the train, with a money belt. They stole the money belt, which he realized long after the thiefs escaped. Lost tons of cash, credit cards, and his passport. Luckily, his wallet was in the back pocket of his pants, so he still had some cash and one credit card left.

I don't travel as much as my husband, but he's on a plane 3 weeks out of the month lately. They make him put his Rolex through the x-ray machine, in its own little container and it goes ahead of him. He's been through many airports and still has the watch. I'm sure thefts at security checkpoints happen, but they are not that common.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
How nice for you that you are such a savvy traveler and experienced public transportation expert. I know you grew up in Europe.
It has nothing to do with being a savvy traveler, it's using common sense! Yes, I grew up in Europe, but what does that have to do with being an expert on public transportation? Had it not been for living near NYC, I would have never learned anything about public transportation. There was zero public transport near where I grew up. Rome and the city I grew up in are worlds apart and there is no comparison. Europe is a big continent. The countries differ greatly and no two are alike.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
It was 2004, Halloween night. I was on my way home to Jersey from the Halloween parade in NYC. A man, on the PATH going towards Hoboken not only had a hard on pressed againtst me, he exposed himself to me in a packed car. The car was beyond full, given that most were on their way home from the parties. I guess I'm just not bothered by it and while it's disturbing, can't say it put a damper on my ride. I'm sure he's still out there, doing the same thing and looking for a particular reaction, which he did not get out of me.
It is an invasion of personal space to say the least.
Yeah, I've had the exposure thing happen too, multiple times, here in the States.
Sometimes I've laughed, other times I just wasn't in the mood for dealing with such crude behavior.
On Bus 64, all of the other people around me were watching for my reaction.
I showed none, but needless to say I wasn't thrilled with what was going on.
I've changed a bit over the years. If that happened to me today or even 25 years ago, I would have stamped on the guy's foot and kneed him in his pathetic groin.
Quote:
It has nothing to do with being a savvy traveler, it's using common sense! Yes, I grew up in Europe, but what does that have to do with being an expert on public transportation? Had it not been for living near NYC, I would have never learned anything about public transportation. There was zero public transport near where I grew up. Rome and the city I grew up in are worlds apart and there is no comparison. Europe is a big continent. The countries differ greatly and no two are alike.
I'm talking about safety on public transportation.
I grew up with minimal public transport, let alone the kind of street smarts that help a person along on a trip. I was clueless.
There are a lot of people out there just like me who have been insulated from this kind of thing.
Common sense sounds great to the people who already have it.
For others it is a blind spot that must be filled.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:59 PM

17,398 posts, read 21,234,308 times
Whenever I travel, most of my cash goes into two small ziplock bags, which rests within the arch of my feet, covered with the socks, within tennis shoes with laces. After awhile, you'll get used to that extra padding in your shoes.

This way, they'll need to un-lace my tennis shoes, take off the socks to get to it.

I also have a way of concealing my credit cards and passport with my own creative homemade sewing.

I challenge anyone to go through all that trouble to get to it!

There's any number of ways to have a worry-free vacation. And I do this even traveling in the U.S.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I also have a way of concealing my credit cards and passport with my own creative homemade sewing.

I challenge anyone to go through all that trouble to get to it!

There's any number of ways to have a worry-free vacation. And I do this even traveling in the U.S
Not a bad idea (using it in the U.S.)
I have a sweater and a jacket with inner, zipped pockets, but in July this does not always work, and they make you take it off in airport security.

I don't see what is so bad about using silk neck pouches. Of course the thieves know they exist. They *could* just yank them or cut them. In Guatemala City a thief yanked a necklace off someone's neck (he was caught) but AFAIK that's not how skillful pickpockets usually operate.
They use distraction, and often are in teams.
An adept pickpocket might view a neck pouch, especially if it is drooping down low, merely as a challenge similar to the usual wallet in a pants pocket. But for me, the idea is not so much to hide the stuff as to keep it nestled right on my upper body where I can see and feel it. In a way, it almost is like hiding money in my bra.

LovingSAT, maybe you could do something like tjlover has done. It sounds like a good idea for dealing with the airport security situation, which after the recent incident is probably going to be tighter than ever.

One more thing about the mass transit scene, and what happened on Bus 64. Rome remains one of my favorite cities.
I know this happens (male passengers tormenting women for fun) all over the globe--including the United States. Any female traveler should be prepared for the possibility of it.
Still, I don't think sexual harassment is any more acceptable than pickpocketing, and I think tolerating it is a mistake.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:17 AM

For those that take precautions to hide money, credit cards. Do you also leave your wedding/engagement rings at home? I always bring mine, even to places most wouldn't, and have never had a problem. But, I keep mine on 24/7 and don't take them off, even to go swimming. A friend of mine bought a fake ring for travel, and I reminded her that only she knows it's fake, and if she's worried about the bodily harm that can happen when they attempt to take that ring, well a fake one won't stop it.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:33 AM

99 posts, read 131,221 times
Quote:
Women do you hide your money in your bra when traveling? Does it go in lump sum or do you buy some sort of bra bag? If not your bra how do you manage your money when traveling?

I do. Especially when I travel with my children. It's not my vacation money. It's usally a small amount ($100 or $200 depending on where I'm going). I just have it to make sure if something does happen, I have enough for food, taxi, or hotel, etc. Just enough so my children won't suffer until I get things sorted out. I try to travel with very little cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel