U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 12:24 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,904,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
For those that take precautions to hide money, credit cards. Do you also leave your wedding/engagement rings at home? I always bring mine, even to places most wouldn't, and have never had a problem. But, I keep mine on 24/7 and don't take them off, even to go swimming. A friend of mine bought a fake ring for travel, and I reminded her that only she knows it's fake, and if she's worried about the bodily harm that can happen when they attempt to take that ring, well a fake one won't stop it.

Yes, I dont like jewelry. I guess it could get stolen at home but I have not worn it in years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 12:25 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,904,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Whenever I travel, most of my cash goes into two small ziplock bags, which rests within the arch of my feet, covered with the socks, within tennis shoes with laces. After awhile, you'll get used to that extra padding in your shoes.

This way, they'll need to un-lace my tennis shoes, take off the socks to get to it.

I also have a way of concealing my credit cards and passport with my own creative homemade sewing.

I challenge anyone to go through all that trouble to get to it!

There's any number of ways to have a worry-free vacation. And I do this even traveling in the U.S.

Can you share this creative sewing? Maybe even a private message? Please?

Old 12-26-2009, 05:07 PM

21,357 posts, read 24,094,847 times
These items work too: Undercover Hidden Money Belt & Document Security Pouch at Safety Central

Old 12-26-2009, 08:50 PM

17,391 posts, read 21,228,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Can you share this creative sewing? Maybe even a private message? Please?
Buy some old pants at a Goodwill or at a garage sale with some deep pockets, cut the pockets out, resew them over the inside back or front pockets of your pants, leaving a little slit at the top, which I sew halfway closed, fold the money and down the chute it goes. I also put my credit cards in there as well. I only use these special pants for travel and they stay in my closet until then.

If someone picks your pockets, they're not about go inside your pants to pick your pockets.

Also a good idea to find some old, tattered wallet, and use that as bait with a few dollars inside in case you're held up with some outdated Identification.
Many a robber will get angry if they hold you up, look into your wallet, and nothing is there for them. Just finding a few dollars will make them happy enough. I put my expired credit cards I save inside, and if they find them, they'll really be happy, not being quick enough to see the expiration date.

Lots of ways to travel without money worries.

You can also take a pocket from an old pair of pants, sew a string to it, and hang that around your neck, which I also do.

Last edited by tijlover; 12-26-2009 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Add a line

Old 12-27-2009, 03:57 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,914,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

You can also take a pocket from an old pair of pants, sew a string to it, and hang that around your neck, which I also do.
You know, my silk neck pouch is not bulky at all; it is soft and lies flat.
I guess I am usually stuck taking it off because security wants just about *everything* removed when you walk through. A deep pocket sewn into my pants might get around all that.

We used that fake wallet trick to catch a thief in our midst at work years ago.
Someone had been taking money out of our purses.
We put some bait money dusted with invisible detection powder in a "lure" wallet in the staff lounge. The thief took it. When she washed her hands after going to the bathroom, they turned bright purple. Caught purple-handed.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:37 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
For those that take precautions to hide money, credit cards. Do you also leave your wedding/engagement rings at home? I always bring mine, even to places most wouldn't, and have never had a problem. But, I keep mine on 24/7 and don't take them off, even to go swimming. A friend of mine bought a fake ring for travel, and I reminded her that only she knows it's fake, and if she's worried about the bodily harm that can happen when they attempt to take that ring, well a fake one won't stop it.
I leave it all at home except a small 2mm gold band (not my actual wedding band)that I'd gladly give any criminal without hesitation. Earrings are cheap custume jewelry that look like cheap costume jewelry, the only other jewelry is a stainless steall medical alert bracelet.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:45 AM

3,286 posts, read 10,585,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Women do you hide your money in your bra when traveling? Does it go in lump sum or do you buy some sort of bra bag? If not your bra how do you manage your money when traveling?
No, mainly because it's awkward to take out to use, and it gets soggy and sweaty (ew). Usually I just keep it in my purse, especially at the airport. Know your surroundings, always keep a firm hand on your bag, and you should be fine. If I don't want to carry a purse, I bought a money clip that I use, sort of like this one:
Amazon.com: Leather Money Clip Wallet and Credit Card Holder 100% Genuine Leather: Clothing (http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Wallet-Credit-Holder-Genuine/dp/B0002S9FQK - broken link)

I put the cash and credit cards in the card holder, and use the clip to clip it to my pants (with the cash/cards facing in). I figure if someone gets their hands down my pants without me realizing, they can have the money. If I'm going somewhere where it's cold, I'll usually keep my money and passport in a pocket on the inside of my jacket and use my purse as a camera bag.

As far as jewelery, I don't bring much, but the only place I didn't bring any jewelery to was Peru. Mainly, that was because we spent a good part of the trip hiking around, so things like looking pretty weren't a priority. We ended up buying plenty of jewelery and wearing it later in the trip, though. Honestly, I'm more likely to get mugged while I'm at home, so aside from exercising some common sense I don't really get that bothered with this stuff while travelling. If nothing else, you look more like a scared tourist, which screams "target".

By the way, don't put your money all in one place. It's better to split it up, so if something does get lost/stolen, you won't be completely sunk.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:06 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,411,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
No, mainly because it's awkward to take out to use, and it gets soggy and sweaty (ew). Usually I just keep it in my purse, especially at the airport. Know your surroundings, always keep a firm hand on your bag, and you should be fine. If I don't want to carry a purse, I bought a money clip that I use, sort of like this one:
Amazon.com: Leather Money Clip Wallet and Credit Card Holder 100% Genuine Leather: Clothing (http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Wallet-Credit-Holder-Genuine/dp/B0002S9FQK - broken link)

I put the cash and credit cards in the card holder, and use the clip to clip it to my pants (with the cash/cards facing in). I figure if someone gets their hands down my pants without me realizing, they can have the money. If I'm going somewhere where it's cold, I'll usually keep my money and passport in a pocket on the inside of my jacket and use my purse as a camera bag.

As far as jewelery, I don't bring much, but the only place I didn't bring any jewelery to was Peru. Mainly, that was because we spent a good part of the trip hiking around, so things like looking pretty weren't a priority. We ended up buying plenty of jewelery and wearing it later in the trip, though. Honestly, I'm more likely to get mugged while I'm at home, so aside from exercising some common sense I don't really get that bothered with this stuff while travelling. If nothing else, you look more like a scared tourist, which screams "target".

By the way, don't put your money all in one place. It's better to split it up, so if something does get lost/stolen, you won't be completely sunk.
Excellent post! You're the first to realize that you're more likely to be mugged at home, which is very true, considering you spend more time there than elsewhere.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:33 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,914,616 times
Oh yes, I mentioned in post #7 that you can get ripped off anywhere; it is a no-brainer that getting mugged, which is a bit different than being pickpockted, is quite common in urban America.
Mugging takes a lot less finesse than pickpocketing, that's for sure.
I did have a friend who was mugged in Columbia, and another who got shaken down (for her toothbrush, among other things!) in Tanzania. I've heard stories about Moscow, too. I guess it just depends on a variety of factors.

I never keep all my money in one spot, but then I never have a whole lot of cash on me in the first place.

I wear my wedding ring, simple earrings, simple clothes, stuff that leaves me presentable but comfortable.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:56 AM

3,286 posts, read 10,585,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Oh yes, I mentioned in post #7 that you can get ripped off anywhere; it is a no-brainer that getting mugged, which is a bit different than being pickpockted, is quite common in urban America.
Mugging takes a lot less finesse than pickpocketing, that's for sure.
I did have a friend who was mugged in Columbia, and another who got shaken down (for her toothbrush, among other things!) in Tanzania. I've heard stories about Moscow, too. I guess it just depends on a variety of factors.
That's true, it really does depend on where you're going. I was thinking mostly of popular destinations in Western Europe/Caribbean/etc. If you're going somewhere that has issues with bribery or safety, then that's where you do research and take a few precautions. Regardless of where you're going, every tourist book clues you in on the prevalence of pickpockets or theft, as well as popular techniques for you to spot and avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel