U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 03:19 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,914,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I couldn't care less if people take their jewelry. But I would never do it because I think it's dumb to take valuables you don't need. No smart traveler does it.
Hopefully your house is not broken into and valuables taken while you're gone.
I do think it is kind of silly to wear a fake ring, but don't see what's so dumb about wearing a wedding band that you never take off. (Maybe leave the flashy engagement ring/necklace/bracelet at home, no need to attract attention.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Most people think that their valuables are limited to money/cards/papers. But there are two other items I consider just as valuable:
1. Cell phone.
2. Keys.

I think you need to take the same type of caution in carrying and protecting these two items, as you do your money and papers.
That is an easy one for me, I don't even own a cell phone.
I agree about the keys; I do take the same care with them as with anything else.
All these concerns amount to how easily you get stressed out, and how methodical you want to be. I suppose we all aim for the right balance that we can live with so that we can enjoy our trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:49 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,379,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Women do you hide your money in your bra when traveling? Does it go in lump sum or do you buy some sort of bra bag? If not your bra how do you manage your money when traveling?
The title reminds me of a show, where the lady was taking it out of her bra, and a guy said, "Oh, it's safe in THERE..." She was physically unappealing.

Just a thought--couldn't she keep in in her purse, or a pocket?

Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,896 times
hello
in Argentina
i got my computer, money and camera stollen by a fake tourist, that i was travelling with for 5 days. he lied about his nationality, name and age, so i was not much help to the police, i have a photo of him. im wondering if there is a website where I could warn other tourist to stay away from this man? I know this guy will rob again. I met him in a hostel and he seemed a tourist, his story is quite convincing. I have since found out he was from south america. either argentina or bolivia. I hope no one else has had this experince. my trust was broken. thanks any information is much appriciated.... I just want to let more people know about this man. he will rob again. thank you

Old 03-23-2010, 09:00 AM

32,532 posts, read 30,651,383 times
I learned this years ago: Beware, at tourist spots, of signs saying - usually in English - "Watch For Pickpockets". Most people get off the tour bus, see the sign and immediately use their hands to check and make sure their wallet is still there.

Bady guys see where you are "patting" and know exactly where your wallet is. Professional pickpockets will not hesitate to put their hands wherever they need to in order to get your cash.

I stay incredibly observant, don't trust strangers, leave the jewelry in the safe deposit box at home and have never had a problem in years of traveling. Thank Goodness.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:28 PM

162 posts, read 353,377 times
Quote:
Women do you hide your money in your bra when traveling? Does it go in lump sum or do you buy some sort of bra bag? If not your bra how do you manage your money when traveling?
Um, no. Do women actually do that in real life, or just in the movies? Because I've never seen anyone do that in real life.

How do I manage my money? Pockets or purse

Old 03-30-2010, 01:41 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
I travel light, which means the same shoes all the way. Tennies have thick, padded tongues. So I cut a slit near the bottom of the underside, put a few $100 bills in a little plastic bag sleeve, fold them narrow, and slip them up into the slit in the tongue. I carried a few hundred in cash in there for several months, just as emergency backup cash. For general use, get a light fabric money belt. The best ones are sold at army surplus stores, and they're cheap. Keep your passport, money, plane ticket, credit cards in there. Don't ever ever ever let it out of your sight. Take it in the shower with you. Sleep with it arouind your waist. Get so used to wearing it that you feel funny without it, like seat belts.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,813 times
Talking hiding money in your bra...

my mom uses my invention. its called a Bra-Pod. its a safe and inexpensive secure way to hold money and other personal items...my mom uses them when she goes to thailand. just google brapod

Old 04-06-2010, 04:30 PM

4,577 posts, read 3,638,159 times
Quote:
No bra for me.
I use my purse.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,982,771 times
I don't want to read all these threads, so I may be repeating someone else's input.

For the airport I use a plastic money pouch under my tops. Yes, the zipper is plastic. Hard to find but they're out there.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:27 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbytabby View Post
No bra for me.

My kind of girl!

(Sorry, couldn't resist that one.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel