Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:54 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,018,104 times

Advertisements

Remember folks, paper money isnt detectable when you go through the machines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 11:09 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,576,976 times
The difference between money at home and money during travel is the amount and the urgency. At home, most is in the bank so when we go out for the evening we do not take all our money. When one travels they have all their money available to them at that time. So while losing a few hundred at home for most is not a stress losing all your cash and credit cards while on the road may present a problem if not a major inconvenience.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:10 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,266,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Can you walk through airline security with a belted wallet?
I own one with a plastic zipper. Works really well.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:44 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,662,949 times
Quote:
Remember folks, paper money isnt detectable when you go through the machines
All this may become moot once the full body scanners come into use at all airports.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:06 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,696,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
The difference between money at home and money during travel is the amount and the urgency. At home, most is in the bank so when we go out for the evening we do not take all our money. When one travels they have all their money available to them at that time. So while losing a few hundred at home for most is not a stress losing all your cash and credit cards while on the road may present a problem if not a major inconvenience.
That's the other thing, I never really carry that much cash on me (even when I travel). I technically carry more when travelling, but it's usually less than $100 at any given time. I just use credit cards and ATMs. I made copies of the cards which I leave (hidden) at home should they become lost or stolen and I have to cancel them (same with passports).

Old 01-02-2010, 06:58 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,955,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
All this may become moot once the full body scanners come into use at all airports.
Yes, this thought crossed my mind, along with the possible higher security fees.
Dutch to use full body scanners

Old 01-02-2010, 02:47 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,145,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I never put anything in my bra except my chest.
I have both a little silk neck pouch as well as a small purse that I use.
You can get ripped off anywhere, but certain places have a reputation for some really smooth pickpocketing.
The #64 bus in Rome is not for sissies.
Oh God did you just give me a flashback! I had a little pouch that hung around my neck and I adjusted the length of the ribbon to comfortably hang down near my waist so I could access my money easily. While traveling on the #64, I could feel one hand after another sliding in and out of my pants pockets and I was so squished and holding on for dear life that I couldn't even turn around to glare at the offender. The only thing about purses and the neckpouch I wore is that the more blatant offenders (and gypsy kids) will just yank on the straps until someone helps you out by intervening or they get your stuff and take off. I used to see people with neck pouches on the OUTSIDE of their clothing (how that helps I have no idea) and others who had the string well visible and hanging halfway down their backs. Be a smart traveler. I would never recommend a purse or a fanny pack but also remember that you will need to access your money and if you are having to duck into a bathroom to excavate it from your bra, it's probably more trouble than it's worth. Lots of people use the neck pouches or the waist wallets that tuck inside your pants.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:55 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,262,527 times
I used to hate it when women would pay for their sandwich with a sweaty $10 they just fished out of their cleavage.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:31 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,813,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
For those that take precautions to hide money, credit cards. Do you also leave your wedding/engagement rings at home? I always bring mine, even to places most wouldn't, and have never had a problem. But, I keep mine on 24/7 and don't take them off, even to go swimming. A friend of mine bought a fake ring for travel, and I reminded her that only she knows it's fake, and if she's worried about the bodily harm that can happen when they attempt to take that ring, well a fake one won't stop it.
I couldn't care less if people take their jewelry. But I would never do it because I think it's dumb to take valuables you don't need. No smart traveler does it.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:33 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,813,911 times
Most people think that their valuables are limited to money/cards/papers. But there are two other items I consider just as valuable:
1. Cell phone.
2. Keys.

I think you need to take the same type of caution in carrying and protecting these two items, as you do your money and papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel