U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:15 AM

808 posts, read 1,171,870 times

Advertisements

We always search for "local flavor" in our travels and have always been pleasantly surprised. We aren't a fan of chain restaurants at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 06:53 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,360,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Why don't small town restaurants have their name on those exit signs like all the fast food places do ?

I would love to patronize them, but I'm not going to drive down side streets trying to find them.

Disappointing to take the time driving slowly down the main streets of towns, seeing the stores/signs of every kind of store imaginable, and not finding a restaurant/cafe.
Marmac, I once asked the proprietress of a wonderful little place in Western PA why she wasn't on the "FOOD" sign just before the exit. She replied that the cost and regulations were out of reach for her small restaurant...sigh.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:41 PM

1,804 posts, read 3,699,772 times
It all depends on the state. Texas Louisiana Mississippi I like going thru little towns but WV, Tennessee, or somewhere in the mountains, I dont think so.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:19 AM

125 posts, read 443,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Marmac, I once asked the proprietress of a wonderful little place in Western PA why she wasn't on the "FOOD" sign just before the exit. She replied that the cost and regulations were out of reach for her small restaurant...sigh.
Yes, it's the regulations especially; for instance, in the state of Virginia, it's my understanding that food, gas & lodging businesses must all be within 3 miles of the interstate in order to be listed in the signs. Of course, there are also the fees, plus they can be "bumped" off the signs by other competing businesses that are closer to the highway in question.

But then again, they wouldn't remain hidden jewels to those of us who are willing to seek them if just anyone could drop in without a little bit of (virtual) sweat equity, right?

Old 12-28-2009, 09:19 PM

25,087 posts, read 23,968,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I often divert off the interstate and follow secondary highways for a while. Never know what you will stumble across...
I do the same thing if I'm not trying to meet/beat an arrival time. The drive is part of the trip.

A few years ago, son and I went on a vacation to Niagara Falls. It was pretty obvious that we were not going to make it to the Falls that night, so we decided to stay in Buffalo. No, we didn't even make Buffalo. My son wanted to get out of the car and photograph fields of sunflowers with his new camera. We ended up staying roadside in Batavia. The desk clerk, lovely woman, gave us directions to a fantastic restaurant in the next town, apologized because it would take 15 minutes to get there and she knew that we'd been in the car all day. It was a memorable trip.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:52 PM

13,175 posts, read 20,816,002 times
We also always ask the desk clerk for recommendations. Just in case, we keep a Hampton Inn directory in the glove box. Although we don't always chose to stay at a Hampton, their directory lists area restaurants.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:12 PM

18 posts, read 29,156 times
You are right the food which is served by local people have different flavor and good food but in these chain hotels you wouldn't get the same flavor and they even wont serve fresh food.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:05 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,342,051 times
This was the best part when I was on a road trip last summer, just driving through small towns and finding those local diners everywhere. Been to some especially great places in Kansas, Texas, Illinois and California and Arkansas. I WILL stop at chains when travelling IF its a chain that does not have a location where I live, for example going to Jack in the Box in California, which does not exist here in Baltimore.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 AM

4,112 posts, read 3,825,774 times
It depends on time and who's in the car...

Old 07-22-2011, 10:27 AM

810 posts, read 1,364,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
As we travel cross country by car we usually stop at hotels and restaurants right off the Interstate Highway. You know, the chain hotels and restaurants like Days Inn and Cracker Barrel. But there may be a nice town five miles in from the Interstate Highway exit but we rarely see it.

One time we stopped at the local Days Inn Motel and wanted to have a nice meal for supper. We saw a large number of chain restaurants right next to our motel but we were tired of eating at Cracker Barrel, Denny's Perkins, etc. We asked the front desk clerk if there were any local places in town and he said NO! Why would we drive to town when there were all the places by the highway?

I suspect we missed lots of local flavor and good food, or did we?
no, you missed reheated meat from 2 weeks ago and possibly a visit to the hospital
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or