U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2009, 03:50 PM

6 posts, read 18,766 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm roadtripping with two friends from Philly to Phoenix in a couple days. My job is taking me out there, and paying for gas, hotels, food, etc, so its a pretty sweet deal. Only problem is I have to drive at least 400 miles per day, but that shouldnt be too bad. I know where I'll be stopping each day, but want to know if there is anything we need to see along the way, or what we should do each night in each of the cities we're stopping at. Here is the schedule -

Philly to Columbus (Break in Pittsburgh?)

Columbus to St. Louis (spend New Years Eve night in St. Louis) (Break in Indianapolis?)

St. Louis to Oklahoma City (Break in Tulsa?)

Ok City to Albuquerque (Break in Amarillo?)

Albuquerque to Phoenix (Break in Flagstaff?)

All of the driving will take place during the morning/afternoon, with the exception of St. Louis to Oklahoma City, which depends on how crazy we get on New Years Eve. We'll be driving between 6 and 8 hours a day.

My questions are -
Are there any must sees in any of the cities we'll be staying or taking breaks in?
Are there any places I should substitute as break cities?
What is there to do as far as nightlife in the cities?
Is there anything I need to do for the car ride, other than bring a ton of music?

I'd really like to make the most out of this experience, and not just eat fast food or chain restaurants the whole time or get drunk at the local applebees at nights in each city. So any suggestions for things to do would be greatly greatly appreciated!

PS Merry Christmas!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 10:03 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,349,725 times
- The American Motorcycle Association has a museum at Pickerington, OH I-70, Exit 118 Just East of Columbus. ( Go South at the off ramp.) Haven't been there but it may be worth a look if you're into two-wheeled fun!

- While I like living in OH, there's nothing spectacular about I-70 through it. The good news is more of it is three lanes wide now.

- Schmidt's in Columbus' German Village has hearty, comfort German food. You could even get a cream puff dessert to go and eat it on the road!

- The USAF Museum (now awkwardly named "National Museum of the Air Force"...) is just South of I-70; take I-675 (Exit 44) and follow signs. If you like aircraft, it could take you DAYS to go through it!

The Warm Glow candle shop and Ford Model T museum are just South of I-70 at Exit 145 in Indiana. (Watch your speed in the Hoosier State; they're out for "revenue enhancement" in a BIG way...) There is a large, new rest area at the 114 mile marker just East of Indianapolis. If you go in there when it's dark, DON'T PANIC! Those deer you see on the off-ramp are only sculptures...

- The I-465 Loop around the south side of Indy really isn't much farther than going thru downtown but the loop offers a lot more dining options if you want to eat. Exit 91 (the last exit before I-465) offers plenty of dining & lodging options, too.

Phillies, I don't run West of Indy any more, so I'll let the other C-Ders who are more familiar with the rest of the areas on your itinerary fill in some more details. Have a great trip!

P.S. A couple more things:

- I-40 Exit 112(?) at Groom, TX has a HUGE cross. I'm not terribly religious but it does make for an impressive sight, especially at dawn or dusk.

- Amarillo is the home of the "Big Texan" Steak House. (I-40, Exit 74 Whitaker Rd.) They have a 72 oz. steak that, if you eat it all (and all the accompaniments) is free. It was $50 if you didn't finish it when we last went through there. (No, we didn't try it...)

- Weather on I-40 in the area of Flagstaff Mountain is VERY changeable, especially in the Winter!!! Keep an ear on the weather!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 12-26-2009 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: "Speling"...

Old 12-26-2009, 11:22 AM

6 posts, read 18,766 times
Thanks for the response Crew Chief. The USAF and Model T museums sound awesome, I might check them out.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that my one friend is a vegetarian, so I'd like to be able to accomodate him wherever we eat. I on the other hand love a big juicy steak. He may have to just suck it up and eat the garden salad if we stop in Amarillo

Old 12-28-2009, 09:49 PM

25,017 posts, read 23,916,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies View Post
Thanks for the response Crew Chief. The USAF and Model T museums sound awesome, I might check them out.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that my one friend is a vegetarian, so I'd like to be able to accomodate him wherever we eat. I on the other hand love a big juicy steak. He may have to just suck it up and eat the garden salad if we stop in Amarillo
I was a vegetarian for years (vegan for a couple of them) and trust me, he'll find something to eat. Don't worry about it. There's always the grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or