U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,420,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmatt View Post
They are all in place for your protection. The interstate highways are calling your name if you can't deal with security.
Yes, they've been protecting us so well up to this point! It gets worse and worse every year, despite ridiculous restrictions.

And you're assuming people ONLY travel within the US. Such is not the case. More people travel outside of the US than within. It's a big world out there, and these interstate highways won't help you out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
Quote:
The TSA agents are only doing their job
When they get their act together and begin to actually do the job they are tasked with doing instead of falling asleep at the x-ray machine, flirting with the agent next to them and missing contraband in bags (yup--that's what happened when I accidently left a bobttle of water in my bag that went theough the x-ray machine at SJU two weeks ago without it being noticed ) and get off their power trip and have some respect for the public they SERVE AND PROTECT instead of treating them like criminals, then come talk to me. Until then, they are nothing more than rent-a-cops creating an illusion of security in my book.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:39 AM

42,837 posts, read 79,087,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Will Gov't issued jumpsuits with no undergarments be the next thing passengers have to endure?
Not only to endure, but to buy! In addition to instilling fear, paranoia, and control, all this crap is good for business and that's America after all! You throw your own drinks in order to buy their overpriced ones. Now you buy blankets, pillows, and you name it. Now you won't have access to your own snacks and clothes, so you'll absolutely have to buy their crap. I can see sweaters and bed pans for sale soon enough, since you can't even go to the restroom!

Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 PM

704 posts, read 1,326,605 times
Well i think this is the beginning in a great decline in foreigners traveling to America. The average person just Is not going to want to go through all these security procedures.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 PM

704 posts, read 1,326,605 times
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
-Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-30-2009, 12:56 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,420,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
Well i think this is the beginning in a great decline in foreigners traveling to America. The average person just Is not going to want to go through all these security procedures.
Exactly. Not to mention, foreigners are already scrutinzed for every little thing when they arrive. When my family was visiting from Europe last time, their experience at JFK was so negative that they truly never want to return and have since traveled to other parts of the world. It's a shame.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:24 PM

21,370 posts, read 24,120,799 times
Quote:
It won't. Many of these rules have been in place, in numerous forms, outside of the US. Nothing is 100% perfect. The "Underwear Bomber" is just one of millions of people who fly throughout the year. Lets put this into perspective. We need to be more proactive and not reactive. Maybe we should put the Israelis in charge of world-wide travelling security.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:37 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,583,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Exactly. Not to mention, foreigners are already scrutinzed for every little thing when they arrive. When my family was visiting from Europe last time, their experience at JFK was so negative that they truly never want to return and have since traveled to other parts of the world. It's a shame.
Er, I remember being in Munich and Zurich airports pre-9/11 and there were german shepards and submachine gun totting police everywhere. And I was closely scrutinized on entry and exit.

I'll never forget landing in the UK and the customs guy getting indignant with me. He asked what my occupation was, which was a student. He demanded to know why I was out of school, etc. etc. I was like "have you heard of spring break?"

I can't say I enjoyed that experience or it gave me a good impression of the UK.

On reentry into the USA, I have found the customs folks to be professional and haven't had a problem. Mostly I think the best thing you can do is to act neutral and answer any questions they have.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:05 PM

6,239 posts, read 15,451,258 times
Do you really think these draconian measures make us safer?! The system failed. Obviously, whatever "feel good" security we have in place doesn't work! I'd rather take my chances and not have to remove my shoes, toss my bottled water, etc. The odds of me of dying in a car accident are exponentially greater than dying at a terrorist's hands. Let me assess what level of risk I'm willing to take, thanks very much.

These restrictions are only a political ploy so that our lovely politicians can say, "Well, we're doing something!" Yes, but that something isn't effective. Body scans at the airport? I'm all for 'em! 35,000 feet up isn't the place to begin worrying about secuity; it has to start well before the passengers board the plane!

Quote:
As I have said before...IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS AND SECURITY, DON'T FLY!!! They are all in place for your protection. Really don't wanna hear anybody complain about having to stay in your seat the LAST HOUR of the flight...wah. You were warned (or at least should have been clued in before you even boarded the plane). I do understand that there will be special circumstances (like medical conditions). However, for the majority of the flying public, they just need to suck it up and deal with it. The interstate highways are calling your name if you can't deal with security. Another thing...for those of you who arrive at the airport 30 minutes before your flight, and then get all peeved when you miss your flight because security takes "longer than expected" and then disrespect the TSA agents and what not...you're better off driving. We (the American people, TSA agents, airline counter workers, other people you verbally abuse because you're peeved at your own stupidity) would rather you not take up space in our airports or planes. The TSA agents are only doing their job TO ENSURE THAT AMERICA STAYS SAFE!!!

Ok that's all. This was meant only to those who it applies to: those who complain about security at airports.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:32 PM

21,370 posts, read 24,120,799 times
New York - What Israel Can Teach the World About Airport Security -- VosIzNeias.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or