U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 09:17 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,286,390 times

Advertisements

In the wake of the attempted terrorist act by a passenger on a Northwest/Delta flight to the United States from the Netherlands, the US government has called for increased security measures for flights coming into the United States from international destinations. Domestic flights will NOT see the same scale of increased security measures, but the government said even domestic flights will be more closely monitored.

On international flights to the USA you can expect:

1. Having a "pat down" or being frisked at the gate for your flight or having to go through metal detectors a second time at the gate before boarding (in addition to the regular metal detector). Each nation is implementing different methods of a security check right before boarding.

2. The number of carry on items and their size will be reduced in allowance from some international countries.

3. ALL flights to the USA must restrict passengers from accessing their carry on luggage while in flight or having carry on luggage in their lap.

4. ALL flights to the USA must restrict passengers from leaving their seat in the last hour of the flight before landing (including no use of the lavatory in the last hour).

Because of the tighter security measures, airlines and governments worldwide advised passengers to arrive at airports early and to expect delays, missed connections and canceled flights.

More details here: Travelers flying into the U.S. face stricter security measures -- latimes.com

==My comment: Air travel just got even more annoying, but this is inevitable in the wake of something like this in a post 9/11 society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 01:22 AM

241 posts, read 232,480 times
This is horrible..especially the last one, if you have medical issues or are a small child. People will be pissing in their seats. Maybe better screening should be done and less BS like this. I won't fly again if these rules stay in place.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:39 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,909,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirriam View Post
Maybe better screening should be done and less BS like this.
To me, the screening has always felt like window dressing--I keep wondering about aspects of the airport other than where the passengers embark.
Security has a tight budget and airports offer myriad vulnerabilities.
This is what one investigator said in 2008:
Absent better machinery, the only sure way to improve screeners' ability to detect contraband would be to increase the number of random physical searches and to make them far more intrusive than the gropings passengers now complain about, says GAO lead investigator Gregory Kutz.
A couple of years ago, a writer for a travel magazine did a stint as a TSA screener and wrote about it, then she did a followup last year.
The title: Still Not Making the Grade
Article
I agree, Missionhome. All of this is extremely annoying, but inevitable after 9/11.
And different countries have had their own problems.
When I flew to the UK during the Troubles in '74, the security was very tight indeed, with plenty of interviewing and patting down.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:22 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,739,297 times
The big thing that everybody is missing, is that this guy went through security in Nigeria. That is if he went through security at all.

He could have had friends helping him at that airport. He could have gone over fences. He could have even switched places with a passenger that went through all of the screening.

As an airline employee, I can access anything on the airport with minimal security. It's about trust. Our Government trusts me. The question is, do we trust the Nigerians?

Old 12-27-2009, 05:39 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,909,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
The big thing that everybody is missing, is that this guy went through security in Nigeria. That is if he went through security at all.
And from Nigeria to Amsterdam.
I was once fairly thoroughly questioned when connecting in Schiphol (Amsterdam's airport.)
I had wondered if it was random or if it was because I was traveling alone.
heh
You should see some of the "security" I've been through here in the States.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:44 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,408,296 times
I'm looking forward to an interesting 2010. Nothing says travel like being practically strip searched and treated like a criminal. Hmm, maybe this will mean fewer travelers and less crowds at the airports. I guess some good could come out of this!

Old 12-27-2009, 10:32 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Before they implement new rules, they need to get their act together on the ones they already have. I accidently went through security at a major international airport two weeks ago with a bottle of water in my bag--they never noticed it.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:43 AM

6,239 posts, read 15,440,564 times
These rules are ridiculous in the extreme. I don't feel any safer, and people who do are just fooling themselves. It's unreasonable to expect people to not get up during the last hour of a flight.

I say we should all fly naked, with no carry-on allowed. That would certainly solve some problems, right?

Old 12-27-2009, 11:02 AM

13,160 posts, read 20,776,233 times
Two of my teens have flown domestically this year, and both times (last time was Christmas Eve) they were patted down while going through security. They are all-American looking kids, yet they were pulled from the security lines for additional searches. Neither of them set off the metal detectors first.

I have seen others being wanded when setting off the metal detectors, but I don't think I've ever seen a random pat-down before. I can't figure out what would set either of my boys apart.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:20 PM

10,664 posts, read 7,965,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
These rules are ridiculous in the extreme. I don't feel any safer, and people who do are just fooling themselves. It's unreasonable to expect people to not get up during the last hour of a flight.

I say we should all fly naked, with no carry-on allowed. That would certainly solve some problems, right?
I agree with you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or