U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-02-2010, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,176,885 times
Reputation: 4916

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Looks like the Youghiogheny does too.

rivers that flow north
Yes, it sure does. I boat on this river every summer...beautiful scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
The Monongahela River flows from South to North.

It joins the Allegheny River at Point Park in Pittsburgh to form the mighty Ohio.
Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Plus, the Ohio flows north to Beaver, PA, where it turns southwest .
It just appears that way on a map...but actually it flows South.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,987 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Reputation: 33045
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
It just appears that way on a map...but actually it flows South.
Take it from one who actually has lived there, it flows north from Pittsburgh to Beaver. That is why people in Beaver County talk about going "up" to Pittsburgh, even though Pittsburgh is south of BC. They are referring to going "upriver".

Ohio River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The river is formed by the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers. Point State Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania marks the confluence. From Pittsburgh, it flows northwest through Allegheny and Beaver counties, before making an abrupt turn to the south-southwest at the West Virginia—Ohio—Pennsylvania triple-state line (near East Liverpool, Ohio, Chester, West Virginia, and Midland, Pennsylvania).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,176,885 times
Reputation: 4916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Take it from one who actually has lived there, it flows north from Pittsburgh to Beaver. That is why people in Beaver County talk about going "up" to Pittsburgh, even though Pittsburgh is south of BC. They are referring to going "upriver".

Ohio River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The river is formed by the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers. Point State Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania marks the confluence. From Pittsburgh, it flows northwest through Allegheny and Beaver counties, before making an abrupt turn to the south-southwest at the West Virginia—Ohio—Pennsylvania triple-state line (near East Liverpool, Ohio, Chester, West Virginia, and Midland, Pennsylvania).
And I live there too!! I have lived in Pittsburgh all my life! It actually flows WEST if you want to be specific, then it flows SOUTH.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,987 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Reputation: 33045
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
And I live there too!! I have lived in Pittsburgh all my life! It actually flows WEST if you want to be specific, then it flows SOUTH.
If you want to be specific, it flows northwest.

From the Wikipedia link:

From Pittsburgh, it flows northwest through Allegheny and Beaver counties, before making an abrupt turn to the south-southwest . . .
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,789,297 times
Reputation: 6636
I spent two years living in Cairo Egypt, so I saw the Nile quite often

But EVERY river flows downhill
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Kensington NH
758 posts, read 2,586,659 times
Reputation: 646
All tributaries on the southern coasts of the Great Lakes flow north into their respective lakes. I could name a dozen in Ohio alone that flow north into Lake Erie.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 41,371,303 times
Reputation: 10958
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
New River State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was just checking on the rainfall in different states when I noticed that the New River flows North from Ashe County, North Carolina and ends up, I believe in the Ohio River. I knew the section near Glendale Springs, North Carolina flows North because my mother pointed it out to me many times in my childhood. We used to love to stand and watch the river that flows backwards.

Does anyone else know of a river in the United States or World that flows opposite to what is thought to be normal?
I've heard that the Chicago River does also.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 10:10 PM
NCN NCN started this thread
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,875,914 times
Reputation: 23217
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I spent two years living in Cairo Egypt, so I saw the Nile quite often

But EVERY river flows downhill
I don't know why, but that made me laugh.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2010, 06:22 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 13,449,524 times
Reputation: 8158
Many posters are confusing rivers that flow north for a ways cuz north is downhill and then flows south.

A true north flowing river does so because of the continental divide.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2015, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Vermont, New England
75 posts, read 89,319 times
Reputation: 130
Default The East River

The East River, which I believe is technically a tidal estuary, is affected by the various currents in NYC, and as a result the water can flow through it in either direction.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top