U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:10 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,562,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think the carry on thing has gotten out of hand. The last flight I was on was delayed due to all the clowns with their massive carry ons packed to burst open that couldn't stuff them in the overhead bin. One dingleberry had 3 massive bags he had somehow got on board.
I agree but i also thinks its equally crazy to charge for checked bags. This outcome should have been expected.

Also, i bet by the end of the year we will be paying for carry ons as well.....

G Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 09:18 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Quote:
I think the carry on thing has gotten out of hand. The last flight I was on was delayed due to all the clowns with their massive carry ons packed to burst open that couldn't stuff them in the overhead bin. One dingleberry had 3 massive bags he had somehow got on board.
And that's the fault of the gate agent for not enforcing the use of the sizer bins. My (never overstuffed) bag easily slides "wheels in" without forcing it in every configuration of plane, even some regional jets. Why would I take the time or pay to check a bag when I can carry it on--and be well within the airline and TSA rules?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:24 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,585,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And that's the fault of the gate agent for not enforcing the use of the sizer bins. My (never overstuffed) bag easily slides "wheels in" without forcing it in every configuration of plane, even some regional jets. Why would I take the time or pay to check a bag when I can carry it on--and be well within the airline and TSA rules?
The problem I think is people are pushing the limits or exceeding the limits and it's gotten ridiculous now with the amount of crap they are bringing on board.

I do think the airlines are getting out of hand with the baggage fees. Fortunately for me I get reimbursed since most travel is business.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:29 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,422,694 times
Quote:
Exactly. We have never, ever checked a bag in our lives and never had an issue with it fitting. When we heard about the checked bag charges, we knew it would be a nightmare for us, since now everyone and their mother would try to bring carry ons. We were right. We've been on several flights where the bins were full long before half the passengers got onboard. What drives me crazy is that we always sit in the first 5 row, so are technically supposed to be last to board. Somehow, those bins are filled as well even if there are no passengers there. The bin above your seat should be for your use and not for someone in the last row. We have since started to disregard the boarding order and just board with whatever the second group is, even when we're sitting in the 1st row just so we can get overhead space. It's gotten ridiculous!

Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Quote:
The problem I think is people are pushing the limits or exceeding the limits and it's gotten ridiculous now with the amount of crap they are bringing on board.

I do think the airlines are getting out of hand with the baggage fees. Fortunately for me I get reimbursed since most travel is business.
Even if I'm business travel, I don't want to check my bag. I purposely pack very light in order to avoid the hassle of waiting in line to check-in or at baggage claim. My home airport is Orlando, home of "it takes up to an hour for your bags to show up on the belt." I can be home in an hour if I don't have to wait for bags.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:33 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,931,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post

Also, i bet by the end of the year we will be paying for carry ons as well.....
I am expecting this, too.

In addition, gate agents are already being more strict about the correct order of boarding, and will probably become more so.
I deplore that practice some people have of using the forward overhead bins when their seat is at the back of the plane.
Some flight crews seem more careful about keeping those bins closed, but they can't be everywhere at once monitoring the situation.

On our flight home from New Orleans we waited to take off as we watched this embarrassed guy trying to cram a giant bag into the overhead bin, which was small because it was just a little commuter plane. The FA finally helped him and together they slid it in.

The whole situation does begin to feel a bit like kindergarten sometimes.
People don't abide by the rules, and make it miserable for everyone.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:24 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,009,233 times
I ALWAYS check bags because I hate schleping them through the airports. However, on a recent trip of four days, I decided to put all of my clothes in a small backpack. I cut back on the clothes planning to wash a shirt or two in the sink.

It worked out very well. I just had to remember to pack the liquids in the 1 qt baggie.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,584,803 times
If you're traveling overseas with just carry -on, do you find it hard to find washer/dryers or do most overseas hotels have those facilities available for patrons?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
If you're traveling overseas with just carry -on, do you find it hard to find washer/dryers or do most overseas hotels have those facilities available for patrons?
In Australia, NZ and the UK, I've never had a problem finding a hotel/motel with a washer and dryer you can use. At one family run motel, the owner washed a whole load for me and charged $2 AUS$. Even dried and folded it nicely and put it on my bed when I came back in at the end of day.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Even if I'm business travel, I don't want to check my bag. I purposely pack very light in order to avoid the hassle of waiting in line to check-in or at baggage claim. My home airport is Orlando, home of "it takes up to an hour for your bags to show up on the belt." I can be home in an hour if I don't have to wait for bags.
I really don't mind that at all, as long as it fits. But i'm seeing people with a jacket, computer bag, stuffed roller bag and suit bag get on planes jamming up the damn aisles and overhead bins and I've had it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or