U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:14 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I really don't mind that at all, as long as it fits. But i'm seeing people with a jacket, computer bag, stuffed roller bag and suit bag get on planes jamming up the damn aisles and overhead bins and I've had it!!!
I agree, that's obnoxious and the gate agents need to do a better job of stopping it in it's tracks. Like I said, I normally have my small roll-on, my pocketbook or camera bag (if I bring the camera bag, the pocketbook goes into the suitcase), my neck pillow which I use on the plane, and that's it. The roll-on goes overhead in under two seconds (it's also not heavy--I keep it around 20 pounds total) the rest either stays in the seat with me or goes under the seat in front of me. From the time I reach my seat to the the I'm seated--under three seconds.

Edited to add: I just thought of a time where I will have a third carry-on. If I'm on a long flight or flying during a meal time, I will often pack a small insulated lunch tote (like the ones the kids take to school, not the big family picnic sized ones!) with a sandwich or wrap, chips, cookies, fruit, etc. But that also fits under the seat with my camera bag or pocketbook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:25 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,041,630 times
We spent 2 weeks traveling around Japan, each with a rolling carry-on and the tote that went with it. We were limited because we would travel by train to our destination for the day, store the bags at the station lockers then retrieve them to go to the hotel. LOTS of walking. The climate in May is very similar to SW MO so I took lightweight capris, synthetic tank tops with a cotton short sleeve shirt to cover up with, a cotton hoodie, a small bag for day use, folding hairdryer, slide-on shoes (easy to remove to enter temples) one pair of jeans, loafers, waterproof windbreaker and a few other items. We did laundry once and I rinsed out underwear and tank tops a couple times.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:41 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,811,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think the carry on thing has gotten out of hand. The last flight I was on was delayed due to all the clowns with their massive carry ons packed to burst open that couldn't stuff them in the overhead bin. One dingleberry had 3 massive bags he had somehow got on board.
It wouldn't be so bad if the airlines were just consistent about what you can take on board. They all have these gadgets at check-in that supposedly measure your carry-on and if you can't fit it in then you have to check it. NOBODY ever uses them and the check-in clerks never look at your carry-on for size or weight.

One time I flew Icelandair and they said I had to check my carry-on as it was too heavy and then provided me with a tiny plastic bag to put in the items I needed on the plane. When I got to the gate there were several people with bags way bigger than mine! When I complained to the gate people, they said it was at the discretion of the check-in clerks who got to take their bags on board and who didn't. Jeez, I was furious .

Air New Zealand does this weird thing in Auckland where they make you weigh your carry-on AFTER you go thro passport control and if it's over something like 15lbs you have to take items out until the bag is under the limit. Then they let you go. With all your stuff.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:51 AM

14,264 posts, read 24,009,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
If you're traveling overseas with just carry -on, do you find it hard to find washer/dryers or do most overseas hotels have those facilities available for patrons?
It is funny that you mention that. Even in the US, you would be surprised how many hotels do NOT have laundry facilities.

If I head to a mid-range place like the Hampton Inn or the Courtyard, they will always have a laundry. If I head to a center city Hilton or Marriott, they will NEVER have a laundromat. They want you to send out the laundry and be charges by the piece. That is generally not a problem as I usually rent a car and can travel.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:36 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,585,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post

Air New Zealand does this weird thing in Auckland where they make you weigh your carry-on AFTER you go thro passport control and if it's over something like 15lbs you have to take items out until the bag is under the limit. Then they let you go. With all your stuff.
It's the same with Qantas in Syd, LAX and Auckland. You have to weigh your carry on and if it's over 15 pounds you've got to take stuff out. I always have my laptop so that doesn't leave me a lot of wiggle room.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:53 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,662,071 times
I've done up to a week with just a carry-on. When I fly, it's almost always to visit family, and I just borrow their shampoo, etc.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:11 PM

5,527 posts, read 5,720,791 times
role all your items and stack them in a book bag. Take essentials only. It's the easiest way. I've done it this way in both South America and Europe and preferred it to the free for all grab-bag at the airport.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:05 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,993,695 times
Well, as packed as my carry-on gets, I've not yet had trouble fitting it. But I do have a small trick that I'll share.

I always pack in one of those thin, cheap backpacks that are meant for light loads, like sweaters. Once I'm past security I take out my plastic bag of medicines and the Lacrosse ball (for my back in the plane) and place it in the bag along with magazines, water, camera, and my small purse. The pack still fits perfectly under under the seat.

If these carry-on restrictions are permanent (and who knows?), then newer aircraft needs to increase the bin-sizes on small planes.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:58 PM

111 posts, read 399,745 times
I don't travel nearly as much as some of you people on here and I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert on packing. Most of my trips are for 3 days to a week and a half. 3 and 4 day trips, I can pack everything in my carry-on. Anything longer and I need to check a bag.

While I would prefer not to have to pay anything extra for checking a bag, the charge doesn't bother me as much as some people because I know about it in advance, I usually book my travel well in advance, and I don't travel all that much. Since I book well in advance, I have plenty of time to save for my trip so paying $20 extra each way doesn't hurt my budget any really. Since I know about it when I book, I count it as part of the cost of the trip even though I'm not paying for it right then. Since I don't travel that much, it's only a charge that I'll have to pay maybe 2 times a year. Now if I was a more frequent traveller, I'm sure I'd be a better packer, but I'd also be bothered more by the charge as I'd be paying it a lot more often and the charges do add up.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:27 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,345,736 times
I am very, very high maintenance. I can do carry on for 4 nights maybe 5 nights TOPS. Anytime longer than that, I will just pay the 15-20 bucks each way.

With the clear bag I just put inside toothpaste, deodorant, toothbrush, a mini face wash, mini lotion, mouth wash, floss, some makeup, a razor, and meds. I never bring shampoo, conditioner, or shaving cream on the way because they have always leaked on me regardless of the container. I just go to a drugstore when I arrive and get $1 shampoo, conditioner, and shaving cream. Hotels typically do that awful shampoo/conditioner thing which I don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or