Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:35 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times

Advertisements

I have not flown since 2000, so I do not know what the new safety checks are like, but watching the news, I don't even wanna find out. Is it worth the hassle for the casual flyer? Yes, sometimes driving is unavoidable, but it looks like way too much of a hassle to fly. I am betting that soon you will have to strip naked, put on a gown and fly in that, with your hands on the armrests at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 06:40 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
I flew on the 28th. Security wasn't much different than usual. As long as you avoid "rush hour" it's no big deal. It takes an extra 2 minutes at the security checkpoints to take off your shoes, take out your laptop (and wires now) and maybe get a quick pat-down (new).

Security checks since 2000 haven't changed that much. An extra 2 minutes really adds up at rush hours, but if you mostly fly on the red-eye you probably won't notice the difference.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I flew on the 28th. Security wasn't much different than usual. As long as you avoid "rush hour" it's no big deal. It takes an extra 2 minutes at the security checkpoints to take off your shoes, take out your laptop (and wires now) and maybe get a quick pat-down (new).

Security checks since 2000 haven't changed that much. An extra 2 minutes really adds up at rush hours, but if you mostly fly on the red-eye you probably won't notice the difference.

I have to go through the "secondary inspection" on ALL flights as I cannot go through the Xray machines at the airport. It is a bit of a hassle but it rarely takes me more than five minutes to get through. Most of the TSA people are real professionals and quite pleasant to deal with.

My problem is that I work with a bunch of people who like to get to the airport about 30 minutes before the flight. On at least one occasion, they have made the flight and I have missed it.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:21 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,971,905 times
I'm 28 so ive done most of my flying post 9/11/01. Ive heard how it used to be, make in the 70s and 80s but ive heard that not much changed post and pre 9/11. I still fly casually because this is what im used to. I dont think much will change. And there will always be crazy extremists.

G Man

Old 12-30-2009, 07:48 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
I'll pass on the anal probe, I haven't flown for 3 years. It's the nickel and diming that bothers me. Just charge me an honest price and let me have a meal and drinks.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:30 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
DH has a metal hip and has to get wanded every time we go through security. We've just learned to get to the airport early and we know the drill, so it's not inconvenient. Besides, I would much rather have the added security measures than be vulnerable to attacks. It seems like most of the passengers have adapted and know what to expect.

I like that the TSA has modified some of it's procedures to improve the process and speed it up- like making everyone take off their shoes and allowing you a second chance at the metal detector. I accidentally left my cell phone in my pocket and they let me take it out and go through again. Awhile back, you got one shot and then you had to get wanded.

When I went through Orlando recently, they opened a special security line for families with small kids. I thought that was good since getting shoes on and off Junior and Juniorette can be cumbersome not to mention the extra gear. It kept the regular lines moving more efficiently.

Sio bottom line, yes, it's worth the hassle - just go prepared and try to do your part to know the regulations and not impede yourself or your fellow passengers!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:34 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
It is not worth the aggravation and hassles. It is a mad house at the airports and is only going to get worse. You have no control over your life once you walk into the terminal. Keep your sanity. Casual travelers should avoid air travel at all cost!

For families with children, it is a diservice to you children to force them into a flying cigar. Why are you abusing them by making them go though the trauma of airport security? Bad parents! They need to experience the world so take the bus, train, or boat.

If you do not travel often, you will not believe the hell you are entering. This is not the Pan Am Clipper service with smiley girls and sophisticated passengers. It is a smelly, virus filled, sardine can. Stay away! Be afraid. BE VERY AFRAID!

Think about it all you FF’s,

No casual travelers = no delay at ID check while traveler walk up to TSA and only then start looking for their ID in their stuff with 2 screaming kids in tow.

No casual traveler = no more What part of big sign saying put all strollers, bags, and metal on conveyer don't you understand!

No casual travelers = no more standing there as traveler looks dumb founded when told to remove their big cowboy hat, belt buckle the size a pickup, or those tire chains they call jewelry from their necks before going through the metal detectors.

No casual travelers = no more having to run the gauntlet of passengers who walk slowly through terminal actually looking at the art on display.

No casual traveler = no more clog at gate counter while person ask attendant who is standing under big sign that say Gate 10, Whoopie Airline, Flight 101, For New York JFK, Departing at 11:30 am, if this is gate 10? Is this flight 101 for New York? Is that NY's JFK? What time does it depart?

No casual travelers = no more standing in the aisle as passengers ask each other, sweetie do you want the window or aisle? Oh i don't know which do you want? I don't care you pick. You may like the window. But I don't want you not to have the window. You take the window now and we can switch later on. Is that O.K. with you?

No casual traveler = No more having to push the two passengers who can't make up their mind into the seats and plow over them to get the flow going.

No casual traveler = no more have to hear does anyone have change of a $100 over intercom as traveler buy $5 bag of chips.

Now don't get me started!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:21 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
I used to love flying....not anymore! Unless it's unavoidable, I won't be flying anytime soon!

Old 12-30-2009, 04:17 PM

544 posts, read 1,526,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have to go through the "secondary inspection" on ALL flights as I cannot go through the Xray machines at the airport.
Do we have choice, between going through the X-ray and going through the "secondary inspection"?

Old 12-30-2009, 05:24 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
Do we have choice, between going through the X-ray and going through the "secondary inspection"?
When flying in the US you have no choice of anything. You do what the TSA tells you to do, or you can walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel