U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 04:23 PM

2,412 posts, read 6,469,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcdavis View Post
Im going to the U.S in February from the UK. I need some advice on what places I should visit.
What kind of trip do you want: to see the famous man-made landmarks or feast upon natural beauty? Do you want to see the notable historical sites or places famous in contemporary pop culture? Do you want to enjoy high art and culture or do you seek to get a real feel for everyday life for typical American folks?

Seeing a number of famous cities is certainly not a bad way to spend you trip, but it's not the only way, either.

Frankly, I tend to like trips that have more than just the big cities and famous sites. I have been to the U.K. numerous times, usually London. But I have traveled around the U.K. enough to know that all of Britain is not like the West End or the City of Westminster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:03 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,269,390 times
Here's where I would go if I were you:

1. NYC
2. Washington D.C./Baltimore (go to Moe's and eat lots of crab!)
3. Chicago
4. New Orleans
5. Austin or San Antonio
6. Denver
7. San Francisco
8. Portland or Seattle

Los Angeles is awful!! I would never go out of my way to take a vacation there.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,420,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post

Los Angeles is awful!! I would never go out of my way to take a vacation there.
Where in LA have you been? Sure, if only to the "city" then I can see why you have such a negative view of it. Santa Monica is beautiful, Malibu is really nice, as are many other coastal towns (Hermosa, Redondo, Manhattan Beach). LA does not have to mean you're stuck to the downtown part of it. For a first timer, a trip to Hollywood and Beverly Hills can be exciting, but I would definitely recommend the coastal towns. Santa Monica is stunning!

Of the list you mentioned, I'd skip Denver and New Orleans. I really have no desire to go back to either of those ever again.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:09 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,898,943 times
Just keep in mind the NorthEast & Midwest sections of the US are still mighty COLD in Feb and still prone to snow/ice storms which can delay train/air travel

Old 01-05-2010, 07:00 AM

791 posts, read 2,461,257 times
I want to recommend a website Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor. It has reviews of hotels, restaurants and attractions the world over, plus it has forums where you can ask questions about visiting specific states/ towns, and knowledgable local volunteers will reply to you with detailed advice, the same day. There is no charge for this. Good luck to you.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:14 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,613,751 times
Now that they are making air travel so difficult and time consuming for us I recommend after your 3 days in NYC you spend 2 or 3 days in Washington DC. The train from Grand Central will take you right into Union Station DC from which you can reach most anything in the city by the Mertro. It is clean, efficient, cheap and on time. The Art Galleries of the Smithsonian are great as well as a walk through the out door monuments. My favorite building in DC is the Library of Congress, purely for it's beauty of architecture. However you do it DC is a MUST SEE.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:29 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,269,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Where in LA have you been? Sure, if only to the "city" then I can see why you have such a negative view of it. Santa Monica is beautiful, Malibu is really nice, as are many other coastal towns (Hermosa, Redondo, Manhattan Beach). LA does not have to mean you're stuck to the downtown part of it. For a first timer, a trip to Hollywood and Beverly Hills can be exciting, but I would definitely recommend the coastal towns. Santa Monica is stunning!

Of the list you mentioned, I'd skip Denver and New Orleans. I really have no desire to go back to either of those ever again.
Los Angeles is Los Angeles...not Malibu, Calabasas, etc. I was refering to L.A. itself. I see no appeal whatsoever. I attended a wedding in Ventura Beach and that was really nice. Cool town. But that is not L.A. either.

I get what you mean though, referring to L.A. as a metro area. I mentioned Denver because I think he should get up to the mountains -- Vail, Aspen, Estes Park, etc. But that's not Denver either

Old 01-08-2010, 11:59 AM

228 posts, read 592,434 times
I would dump Chicago off the itinerary and add Vancouver, Canada on top of the stop in Seattle. Its a stunning city, similar weather to Seattle, and lots of cool things to see. You think its cold now in the UK- Chicago in February would be an endurance test to get out and see/walk around town with the biting winds and sub arctic weather. Get stuck by weather and your whole itinerary could go down the tubes. I live in the upper Midwest- its a beautiful place to see, but perhaps it would be better to see it in the summer when its gorgeous and warm and you can take your time to experience the small towns and big cities rather than worry about how far it is to the next warm shelter!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:59 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,672,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcdavis View Post
Ive decided to visit the following cites on my trip:
New York
Washington dc
New orleans
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Seattle
Chicago
Boston

I plan to see a total of nine cites. Two cites Im having trouble choosing between are miami and las vegas.
My advice, based on what you listed, is this:

Start in NY.

From NY, take the train to Philly - it is very close, maybe 1.5 or 2 hours. Let Philly be a substitute for Boston, as they have similarities, both are old, American Colonial cities. Boston migt be slightly nicer, but it's not worth going that far out of the way for when you can go to Philly instead (Philly is also a much more important city in the US).

From Philly, take the train to DC - again, it's not too far, maybe 3 or 4 hours by train.

From DC, fly to Miami. Or Fort Lauderdale, which might be more fun for you. From Fort Lauderdale you can take a train to Miami which is only about 30-40 minutes away, so you can do a day trip, but I think Fort Lauderdale is a little nicer. In any case you should definitely see Miami/So.Florida.

From Miami, fly over to New Orleans.

From New Orleans, fly to Las Vegas. I think you should definitely see Las Vegas.

From there, L.A. is a short flight but I would recommend a bus ride to L.A., you will ride through the desert which is fun, but it will only be for 3 hours or so.

From L.A., fly up to San Francisco.

From San Francisco, fly up to Seattle.

From Seattle, take a bus or train up to Vancouver, BC (Canada). It's only about 2-3 hours by bus. It's nicer than Seattle, and that's saying a lot because Seattle is nice. You'll feel at home in BRITISH Columgia, too!

From Seattle, fly back to NY. Chicago, I would say, is optional. It's a great city, but not in February, when it's brutally cold. Also, it is a lot like NY City, but like one neighborhood in NY City, because it is smaller than NYC. I'd skip it if I were you.

One thing I will suggest that you also try to fit in is either Albuquerque/Santa Fe, and the National Parks like Zion or Bryce Canyon in Utah (a couple hours from Vegas). Also, from Vegas you can take a day trip, or an overnight, to the Grand Canyon (5-6 hours away).

So, to recap:
  • NY City
  • Philadelphia
  • Washington, DC
  • Miami/So.Florida
  • New Orleans
  • (OPTIONAL: Santa Fe and/or Albquerque, New Mexico - they're only one hour from each other)
  • Las Vegas (with side trip to Utah or to Grand Canyon)
  • Los Angeles
  • San Francisco
  • Seattle, with a definite side trip to Vancouver for a night or two
  • back to NYC, and back to England

Old 01-09-2010, 01:15 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,672,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Los Angeles is Los Angeles...not Malibu, Calabasas, etc. I was refering to L.A. itself. I see no appeal whatsoever. I attended a wedding in Ventura Beach and that was really nice. Cool town. But that is not L.A. either.

I get what you mean though, referring to L.A. as a metro area. I mentioned Denver because I think he should get up to the mountains -- Vail, Aspen, Estes Park, etc. But that's not Denver either
No appeal to L.A.???

Hollywood, Venice Beach, the Getty Center, the Griffith Observatory, Mann's Chinese theater, La Brea Tar Pits, Pinks (and Carneys, and Scoobys) hot dogs, El Pueblo, Walt Disney Concert Hall, Bunker Hill, Santa Monica and their pier and promenade, Mulholland Drive, Paramount (or the other studios), all the ethnic neigborhoods and foods throughout the city, Farmer's Market, Culver City, L.A. County Museum of Art (LACMA), the old theaters and architecture downtown and on Broadway, etc.

L.A. is a MUST see city - the only other city that compares really is NYC, and I think I like L.A. more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel