U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 03:06 AM

151 posts, read 108,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcdavis View Post
Ive decided to visit the following cites on my trip:
New York
Washington dc
New orleans
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Seattle
Chicago
Boston

I plan to see a total of nine cites. Two cites Im having trouble choosing between are miami and las vegas.
Definately, see Las Vegas. Vegas is very unique. Actually, you should take out New Orleans, I don't think there is anything there worth seeing. You are kind of wasting your time with New Orleans. Also, Seattle is a mini San Fran, nothing really there that SF doesn't have.

I have thought about this for about 15 minutes for you. The cities that you need to see and the travel patterns. This is what I would do if I was you.

I believe that you should fly into Boston and work your way down the northeast because all cities fall into a pattern. The pattern going south once in Boston is like this in order.

Boston - 3 days
NYC - 6 days
Philly - 3 days
DC - 3 days

Once, you are done working your way down the Northeast, hop a ride to Chicago, which is in the Midwest and closer to your next destination

Chicago - 4 days

Leave, Chicago and go towards the West Coast. From Chicago go to Vegas because it is the farthest city inward from the west coast. After visiting Vegas then go to California for LA and SF.

Vegas - 3 days
LA - 6 days
SF - 3 days

Miami - Only fit in Miami if you have time. You can leave SF and go to Miami.

Personally, from travelling the U.S., the following is what I would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 PM

1,458 posts, read 5,266,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
SF is also a great place to start a trip to the Northwest section of the USA. From SF you can visit the famous Napa Valley vineyard area as well as Muir Woods to see the famous Redwood forests. It is also gives you access to Yosemite Park.
With the biggest and the best of the coast redwood forest beginning just a few hours north of SF, the Humboldt and Del Norte redwoods are well worth the visit if someone makes it out that way.

Humboldt Redwoods SP, Redwood NP, Prairie Creek Redwoods SP & Jedediah Smith Redwoods SP

Attached Thumbnails
MY First Trip to the U.S-dnt_600_www.jpg  

Old 01-09-2010, 09:07 PM

109 posts, read 290,032 times
February! BRRR!!!!! Be aware also, that February has school vacations which means lots of fa mily travel and prices go higher during that time. Washington DC has lots of free places to go, and you can do the train from NY to Washington, then rent a car? What type of person ie. activities do you like? Indoor our Outdoor? Cities of Countryside? Mountains or Oceans?

Old 01-11-2010, 02:48 PM

702 posts, read 2,797,196 times
Quote:
Ive decided to visit the following cites on my trip:
New York
Washington dc
New orleans
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Seattle
Chicago
Boston

I plan to see a total of nine cites. Two cites Im having trouble choosing between are miami and las vegas.

Good choices. I've been to all of them. Pick Miami if you are into Latin culture and food and Las Vegas if you are into glitz and artificial over the top hotels. I would pick Vegas not because I think it is better than Miami but it is a nice springboard to explore the desert regions of northern Arizona and southern Utah.

If you had to get rid of a city or spend the least amount of time in one, it would be L.A. In my opinion, it is an ugly city with endless sprawl. You can substitue San Diego for it instead.

Good luck.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 PM

1,458 posts, read 5,266,095 times
Quote:
Im going to the U.S in February from the UK. I need some advice on what places I should visit. I only have one month to travel around the country. Since I have such limited time there I want to visit the most famous and fascinating places. The problem Im having is deciding what those places are. I will be starting my trip in New York City. I plan to stay there for three days. After New York I dont know where I sould go and Im also having trouble deciding between flying or train travel.
Since little in our cities matches the history of European cities, it seems that the better destinations would be places like the Grand Canyon, Mammoth Cave in Kentucky or Yellowstone National Park.

Basically, from the area from the Giant Sequoias, and up to near Vancouver, B.C., is virtually unmatched by anywhere else in the United States for trees, rivers, mountains and ocean as a complete package.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:58 AM

288 posts, read 761,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
explore the desert regions of northern Arizona and southern Utah.
ChunkyMonkey, I would just like to say that the high desert in February is covered with snow, especially this year, with the El Nino weather pattern sending one Pacific storm after another over the southwest. But the flowers in the low desert will be spectacular.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:00 AM

288 posts, read 761,231 times
I think it's great how much people put a lot of thought into tcdavis' itinerary, and it just goes to show, there's something to see anywhere you go; no place is undeserving.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:26 AM

37,105 posts, read 45,631,484 times
I bet a good travel agent, or good bookstore travel section would have such a trip already plotted out.
If I were you I would spend a few days in NYC, then rent a car and travel south to Philadelphia and Washington DC. Keep traveling south along the east coast to Savannah and Florida. From there, drive west to New Orleans, Louisiana. From there, fly to Las Vegas Nevada for about 2 days (everyone has to see it to believe it) then fly to San Francisco California, rent another car, and drive south on the Pacific Coast Highway towards Los Angeles. You can explore the Cal wine country on the way. The Pacific coast highway drive was the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen, and you can't come here without getting a feel for California.
I've skipped a lot of great country, but in the dead of winter places like New England, the Grand Canyon, and Colorado (unless you want to ski) etc. are better left for the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel