U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 04:01 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,794,145 times

Advertisements

We were planning on driving out to the Grand Canyon this spring, but we got to talking and may just drive one state over to DC. Neither of us have ever been there. Do they have any family-friendly restaurants? It looks like DC has alot of places to see (besides government attractions) that are free admission. Just wondering if any of you have been to DC with a small child? Any advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 05:06 AM

32,108 posts, read 33,017,270 times
I think that the Air & Space Museum would be a nice place to take a child.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:24 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
In all honesty I think that a lot of DC would be a real bore for a two year old. It's a place with so much to absorb that I'd probably wait until she was old neough to have at least a bit of understanding, probably around six or so. A lot of the museums and sites you've got to be fairly quiet and not run around, I think it would be a lot to ask of a two year old. And there aren't a ton of family oriented restaurants--DC is known for it's epicurean delights.

Try Williamsburg, VA or Baltimore, MD for two nearby family friendly cities.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:40 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,270,132 times
Try Williamsburg, VA or Baltimore, MD for two nearby family friendly cities.[/quote]

The Baltimore Aquarium might be nice for your family. I think DC will be too much and your child won't remember it anyway, except for the National Zoo.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:28 AM

3,292 posts, read 10,591,427 times
I always see families touring around, so I don't think it would be too bad. For a little kid, the zoo, Air & Space, and Natural History museums would probably be the most interesting (all free). Mt. Vernon could be fun, with all the animals around. With a 2-year-old, you could probably approach anything in such a way to entertain him/her. The main trick is to not do too much and tire them out. Also, check to see if you'd be here during the Cherry Blossom Festival. It's neat, but be aware that it'll be crazily crowded.

You could also ask on the DC forum. The only old thread I found dealt with 7-year-olds:
1st trip for 7 yr olds into DC from NOVA...recommendations?

Old 01-03-2010, 09:41 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,057,016 times
If you are prepared for the time & cost of a cross country drive with a 2yr old, then I hardily recommend Walt Disney World. Success guaranteed.

Save DC for 5-6+ IMHO.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:35 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,794,145 times
Yeah, we will probably wait on DC. Now we are looking at possibly the Mall of America/Twin Cities area. I have always wanted to go there (hell, I wanna drive the whole country) and see the sites. Plus, it won't be that big of a deal if our son doesn't remember it. After all, it is a mall. LOL

Old 01-03-2010, 01:47 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,251,757 times
For the next few years you might want to keep the Childhood amnesia theory of developmental psychology in mind when planning family trips. It is the explanation for why very very few people can remember their first few years of life. For most people, memory retention doesn't occur until four years of age, although some can remember as early as age three. Don't waste money or time on a vacation to DC or Disneyland other places you want your child to remember.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 32,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
For the next few years you might want to keep the Childhood amnesia theory of developmental psychology in mind when planning family trips. It is the explanation for why very very few people can remember their first few years of life. For most people, memory retention doesn't occur until four years of age, although some can remember as early as age three. Don't waste money or time on a vacation to DC or Disneyland other places you want your child to remember.
I may not remember it, but that doesn't mean that my parents or I ever considered the trips we took when I was 2 or 3 to be a "waste". They remember the experience, and on some level it stayed with me in at least the early years of life. If nothing else I was easy to travel with since I already knew how to handle myself.

If you're going on a trip solely because you want your child to have lifelong memories, then you probably should wait until they're older. If you would enjoy the trip yourself and just want to have a good time, then who cares how old the kid is? They'll still get some joy out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel