U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:49 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,075,539 times

Advertisements

I feel sort of silly to ask this after scanning through the threads of all you world-wide travelers.

My questions are about priceline.com.

Has anyone used the option of naming your own price?

Do you get to keep the original days you chose? I realize you don't get to choose your time of departure, but the days remain the same. Correct?

I had checked the cost so what percentage of that cost would be a reasonable bid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 AM

2,412 posts, read 6,469,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I feel sort of silly to ask this after scanning through the threads of all you world-wide travelers.

Do you get to keep the original days you chose? I realize you don't get to choose your time of departure, but the days remain the same. Correct?

I had checked the cost so what percentage of that cost would be a reasonable bid?

Do some reading in this forum: Priceline and Hotwire Forum

I don't like priceline's bidding game...too much hassle, too much opacity in the process. However, plenty of other folks use it and get some good deals.

I much prefer hotwire.com, which gives you fixed prices but withholds the hotel/airline info. until after you're committed.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:54 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,422,694 times
We use Priceline for hotels all the time, but have never for airfare. You have to be very flexible when it comes to airfare, because you might get a red eye or a very early morning flight. Check out the site posted above. It will answer all your questions as well as give you an idea of winning bids for a similar itinerary.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:24 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,931,363 times
Jammie, did you try a search?
We've talked about Priceline in this forum, you might get some quick tips.
I only ever used it once for airfare; it was years ago during a family emergency, I had to get to Chicago for a funeral. I did some quick research on Betterbidding, made my bid and got a good fare at decent hours of the day.
It probably helped that my trip was so basic, just Denver>Chicago roundtrip.
I have young friends who use Hotwire all the time, but they are fairly flexible.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:40 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
A guy I know wanted to go from NYC to Chicago to visit his girlfriend for the weekend. He decided to save money and booked on Priceline. They ended up putting him on a flight from JFK to ORD that went through Atlanta, on the way there, and ORD to LGA via DCA or BWI on the way back. He left NYC Friday at 1:00pm (had to take an entire day off to get to JFK and through security in time) and didn't arrive in downtown Chicago until almost midnight due to the six hour layover in ATL. His flight back left ORD at 6:00 am.

It was so ridiculous that he ended up walking away from that ticket and booking (for under $100 more) a direct flight from LGA to ORD that left around 5:00 pm and got him into ORD early enough for a late dinner, and left ORD Sunday night on a direct flight around 6:00 pm and was home in time to see the 11:00 news.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A guy I know wanted to go from NYC to Chicago to visit his girlfriend for the weekend. He decided to save money and booked on Priceline. They ended up putting him on a flight from JFK to ORD that went through Atlanta, on the way there, and ORD to LGA via DCA or BWI on the way back. He left NYC Friday at 1:00pm (had to take an entire day off to get to JFK and through security in time) and didn't arrive in downtown Chicago until almost midnight due to the six hour layover in ATL. His flight back left ORD at 6:00 am.

It was so ridiculous that he ended up walking away from that ticket and booking (for under $100 more) a direct flight from LGA to ORD that left around 5:00 pm and got him into ORD early enough for a late dinner, and left ORD Sunday night on a direct flight around 6:00 pm and was home in time to see the 11:00 news.
And here is the perfect example of someone that should lurk on the Priceline boards before bidding on a ticket. If you have to be somewhere and have limited time, Priceline is not the way to go and poster after poster will tell you that. I would never in a million years use Priceline to book a weekend trip, since what you described is very likely to happen. If you're flexible, it works great. Clearly your friend did no research and is probably bad mouthing the company as a result of his experience. He is the only one to blame for that.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
And here is the perfect example of someone that should lurk on the Priceline boards before bidding on a ticket. If you have to be somewhere and have limited time, Priceline is not the way to go and poster after poster will tell you that. I would never in a million years use Priceline to book a weekend trip, since what you described is very likely to happen. If you're flexible, it works great. Clearly your friend did no research and is probably bad mouthing the company as a result of his experience. He is the only one to blame for that.
You assume an awful lot. He never said a bad word about them, and used them for other things after that. He wasn't the type of guy to get his panties in a wad over a $65 plane ticket. He was actually somewhat amused by the whole thing.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You assume an awful lot. He never said a bad word about them, and used them for other things after that. He wasn't the type of guy to get his panties in a wad over a $65 plane ticket. He was actually somewhat amused by the whole thing.
If I had no experience using Priceline for airfare had asked people about theirs and someone gave the same response as you did, you can bet I would not be using them any time soon. You in no way made it sound like a pleasant experience. Nothing about your description sounded funny or positive to me, but it did sound like something that commonly occurs when one uses them to book flights, hence why www.betterbidding.com is an excellent resource to use BEFORE you book your trip.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:12 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,009,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post

The best guide to bidding on Priceline is Biddingfortravel.com. Read the FAQs for the three products - airlines, car rentals, and hotels - and you will have a good working knowledge.

I do not use Priceline for flights as my departure and arrival times are never that flexible. Also, the winning bids are rarely that great on the flights.

As for the hotel product, you can save 40-70% in MOST markets.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
If I had no experience using Priceline for airfare had asked people about theirs and someone gave the same response as you did, you can bet I would not be using them any time soon. You in no way made it sound like a pleasant experience. Nothing about your description sounded funny or positive to me, but it did sound like something that commonly occurs when one uses them to book flights, hence why www.betterbidding.com is an excellent resource to use BEFORE you book your trip.
Do you work for them or something? My post was meant as a "buyer beware."

This was going back about 11 years, I'm not sure that priceline even had "boards" back at that point in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel